• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: Jeff ?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Jeff ?

That's strange about Ambience and not something I've heard about before. I'll have to get to my ordinary workday right now, but I'll look into it later and let you know if I have any ideas, since as I said I haven't heard of this happening before. Before 1.04 came out the sustain resonance effect could cause a woosh sound upon release of the sustain pedal, but it doesn't seem like that's what you're talking about. 1.05 that I'm working on smooths out some harsh timbres in pro/standard at the loudest fortes, which likely will help a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    That's strange about Ambience and not something I've heard about before. I'll have to get to my ordinary workday right now, but I'll look into it later and let you know if I have any ideas, since as I said I haven't heard of this happening before. Before 1.04 came out the sustain resonance effect could cause a woosh sound upon release of the sustain pedal, but it doesn't seem like that's what you're talking about. 1.05 that I'm working on smooths out some harsh timbres in pro/standard at the loudest fortes, which likely will help a little.
    Thank you, Jeff, for that quick response. Just this afternnon I reinstalled the Classic perspective and the 1.04 update for Pro and the 1.111 Aria player to see if the rumbling/roaring was still there and it is. It happens all the time, with Ambience on and off. It's not noticeable while playing but is heard when playing stops and the damper pedal is released. The roaring sound lasts several or more seconds. This does not happen at all with the Basic edition.

Thanks, again, for all your efforts!

Robert

My best guess is that maybe the rumble/roar you're hearing is the microphone self-noise and ambient noise in the release samples, since you don't get it in Basic. If I put headphones on and hold down sustain pedal and very quickly play a long gliss or a bunch of staccato chords and release pedal, I can hear noise floor after the release decay since there's a lot of release samples playing at once. I don't get it so much in Under the Lid since the signal to noise level is much higher for close miking, and that may be part of why you don't hear it for other software too (which is usually not distant miked). At this point we've got a lot better noise reduction, but the release samples were the trickiest a few years ago and I'm guessing that it may be the culprit. There's one or two simple things I could try in the update that might be a slight help.

My best guess is that maybe the rumble/roar you're hearing is the microphone self-noise and ambient noise in the release samples, since you don't get it in Basic. If I put headphones on and hold down sustain pedal and very quickly play a long gliss or a bunch of staccato chords and release pedal, I can hear noise floor after the release decay since there's a lot of release samples playing at once. I don't get it so much in Under the Lid since the signal to noise level is much higher for close miking, and that may be part of why you don't hear it for other software too (which is usually not distant miked). At this point we've got a lot better noise reduction, but the release samples were the trickiest a few years ago and I'm guessing that it may be the culprit. There's one or two simple things I could try in the update that might be a slight help.
    Jeff, thank you for looking into this and I think you have spotted the problem. I've just installed Under the Lid and the rumble noise is very very faint to not at all, depending on the number of notes caught by the pedal and released. I love the sound of this instrument and am hoping a fix is possible and not too involved.

Robert

As I see that I did not answer my questions for the topic "Nam announcements" I put it here ...

Jeff, sorry if I'm a bit aggressive, but you will understand me.
    I see Synthogy has released version 2 of Ivory retaining some of the samples (to getup to Garritan Steinway on sympathetic resonance).
    The sound of Garritan Steinway is very good, the samples are fine, however it would be useful to have an improvement of the software.
    I am a customer of a software arranger dévelloppé by French, vArranger, this software is changing every two months at the request of the needs of its users.
    I probably made ​​some bad habits but it is still strange to see that the GarritanSteinway seems to have less attention dévelloppement that what is seen in otherbrands.
    For example if I want to upgrade to a pro version starting with my version stnadrd well it is now impossible.
    The only option for me is to buy a piano for a brand other options for expressing regret that I wish the sound of the Garritan Steinway.
    I'll let you judge whether it is good or not.
    Cordially.
    Stephane

(translated by Google)

I think you're asking if you'll be able to upgrade from standard to pro. Though this might be coming, we haven't made any announcement of a new release of standard/pro and so I don't have information about upgrading. In the past we've offered upgrades on products, like GPO and JABB, so it would seem typical to offer an upgrade if something new comes out. As you probably know, right now there isn't an upgrade from standard to pro. I'm fairly limited in what I can say about the future though.

Jeff, just a quick update. I did a complete reinstall yesterday (the16th) of all the DVDs and instead of installing the 1.04 update then the Aria player update, I updated the Aria player first. So far that rumble is inaudible. I also read the instructions again about using the Wet/Dry sliders and now the sound is fuller and richer and even more lovely than before. I think after all this time I'm finally understanding things.

Robert

Jeff, this is not exactly the problem I highlights.
    No, the problem is that Garritan Steinway has no improvements, while other brands of pianos are improvements.
    I do not know who is responsible for this situation in Garritan but it's not serious.
    Garritan Steinway Autorized think is perfect and does not need to progress is not serious.
    I do not think this is the spirit of Steinway.

(translated by Google)

Robert - Glad to hear that the wet/dry sliders, and the Aria update helped a lot for you.

Lylo - We are definitely improving all our pianos. You won't see the improvements until updates and new products are released, and I can't early disclose information about new releases.

Cool Re: Jeff ?

Ok Jeff, thanks...

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast