• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Topic: Jeff ?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Jeff ?

    Hi Jeff,

    http://www.vpiano.net/Garritan%20Aut...y%20review.htm

    What about true piano dynamic ?
    What about a release filter (1500 mhz - 4200 mhz) for the basic version ?

    The upcoming Steinway B : Hamburg or New-york ?

    (Hamburg are better)

  2. #2

    Re: Jeff ?

    The article is interesting, though it happens to be mistaken on dynamics. The Basic for example uses 20 dynamic layers - it definitely doesn't use only 1. The dynamic reproduction is very well done, and not something I would change. I would change the velocity curves, to supply more and with greater flexibility, but that's something different.
    The existing basic version won't get release samples via (free) update. I can't comment on future products that haven't been released though. Or were you talking about using a filter that changes over time during the release portion of a note?
    We've recorded a NY B, but I wouldn't be able to say much more since again it would be in a future product.
    Best wishes
    Jeff

  3. #3

    Re: Jeff ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    The existing basic version won't get release samples via (free) update. I can't comment on future products that haven't been released though.
    After waiting more than 2 years for any update to GAS, that is a huge disappointment. In my opinion, the lack of release samples is too severe of a limitation in GAS Basic. Since the Basic version is already a compromise (lack of multiple mic perspectives, only about half the keys individually sampled) compared to more complete versions, IMO there would still be plenty of differentiation between GAS product versions if the release samples were included in Basic. For me it means GAS Basic sits mostly unused, while I moved on to other products.

    I feel the Basic version should have been completed to a minimum acceptable level with the addition of the release samples. Consequently, I won't consider paying more for a future professional version at this time either. The lack of upgrades to the GAS products for over 2 years doesn't inspire me to expect more commitment to future piano products. The sale of Garritan would have been a great time to change that perception by making a meaningful upgrade to complete the previous products before moving on to new products.

  4. #4

    Re: Jeff ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    After waiting more than 2 years for any update to GAS, that is a huge disappointment. In my opinion, the lack of release samples is too severe of a limitation in GAS Basic. Since the Basic version is already a compromise (lack of multiple mic perspectives, only about half the keys individually sampled) compared to more complete versions, IMO there would still be plenty of differentiation between GAS product versions if the release samples were included in Basic. For me it means GAS Basic sits mostly unused, while I moved on to other products.

    I feel the Basic version should have been completed to a minimum acceptable level with the addition of the release samples. Consequently, I won't consider paying more for a future professional version at this time either. The lack of upgrades to the GAS products for over 2 years doesn't inspire me to expect more commitment to future piano products. The sale of Garritan would have been a great time to change that perception by making a meaningful upgrade to complete the previous products before moving on to new products.
    Sadly, you and I feel exactly the same for the same reasons. I have uninstalled and deleted both basic and pro. Two years of waiting for updates is too long for minor improvements. There are serious issues with both, especially the notes that stick out and the roaring sound when using any reverb in pro. I have moved on to Galaxy Pianos and Ivory Italian and cannot be happier.

  5. #5

    Re: Jeff ?

    It's certainly your right to forgo any future purchases, but we are nevertheless committed to producing future piano products and fixing any bugs via update. This includes pedaling which I am working on all this week at the least, and which I'll make available via download as soon as possible. Yes I agree release samples ideally would have been nice in Basic, but adding a major new and unplanned feature like this would be more typical to a new version rather than a bugfix update. I wouldn't agree that it's required to be minimally acceptable - the basic version accomplished certain things extremely well that it focused on, like evenness of touch/timbre across the scale and across the dynamic range. I don't believe there are any notes that stick out in it. Obviously it never focused on release samples.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Jeff ?

    I've used the Steinway Basic on quite a few pieces and have never noticed certain notes sticking out. This is on multiple styles of music and played on quite a variety of speakers.

    Jim

  7. #7

    Re: Jeff ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lipinska View Post
    Sadly, you and I feel exactly the same for the same reasons. ... I have moved on to Galaxy Pianos and Ivory Italian and cannot be happier.
    I added Galaxy Vintage D today to my Ivory II pianos. It's a shame I really like GAS Basic, but no point waiting any longer without the release samples coming.

  8. #8

    Re: Jeff ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Yes I agree release samples ideally would have been nice in Basic, but adding a major new and unplanned feature like this would be more typical to a new version rather than a bugfix update. I wouldn't agree that it's required to be minimally acceptable - the basic version accomplished certain things extremely well that it focused on, like evenness of touch/timbre across the scale and across the dynamic range. I don't believe there are any notes that stick out in it. Obviously it never focused on release samples.
    Garritan can define "Basic" any way it wants, but I think the lack of release samples makes it incomplete as a basic piano. I can understand having fewer mic prospectives, less sampling bit-depth, even fewer keys sampled, as a way to create a "basic" version, but not leaving out an integral component of the piano sound - i.e. the release samples. To me that is the definition of incomplete, just as if you had decided to leave out the sustain resonance from the Basic version.

    GAS was one of the first virtual piano's I purchased and admittedly I didn't appreciate the full importance of release samples at that time, although I asked about them when inquiring about the Basic version, which I was hesitant to purchase. However, Garritan strongly recommended to me (in a phone call) to buy the Basic version instead of the Pro version at the time, because the Basic version was said to have better evenness in timbre/amplitude across the scale, and that I should wait for improvements in the upgrade for the Professional Version (that had the release samples), which in fact never happened.

    I have purchased 4 other virtual piano products (all sample based). The most expensive (about $450) of those I don't use at all because it lacks half-pedaling. That company also considers that product complete. Fortunately with time and experience one forms a better sense of what constitutes a complete virtual piano product.

  9. #9

    Re: Jeff ?

    I understand the release samples are something you would really like.
    You might note that the existing Basic is a few years old, and that in the past we have sometimes put out new versions of products. I'm not sure if I was really clear - I only meant that I wasn't expecting that we would add release samples to it in a bugfix/compatibility update. There are good things coming, but right now I'm just concentrating on making an update for existing users of the Steinway basic/standard/pro.

  10. #10

    Re: Jeff ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    I understand the release samples are something you would really like.
    You might note that the existing Basic is a few years old, and that in the past we have sometimes put out new versions of products. I'm not sure if I was really clear - I only meant that I wasn't expecting that we would add release samples to it in a bugfix/compatibility update. There are good things coming, but right now I'm just concentrating on making an update for existing users of the Steinway basic/standard/pro.
    Jeff, you're very patient and polite with all of us. The GAS Basic is fine. Release samples would only make it better. The problem I have is with the pro version. With each mic perspective there is at least one note that when played louder than forte sticks out with a harsh timbre. The A above middle C is one example. The other problem with pro is using the Ambience. No matter how I try to adjust reverb, I still hear a roaring sound after playing has stopped and the sustain pedal is released. This only happens with pro not basic and not with any of my other software. These two issues make using the pro version problematic for me. That's why it was uninstalled. I hope the 1.05 update will address these problems. Thanks!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •