• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Just for the fun of it.....

Share/Bookmark

Re: Just for the fun of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Nice, Raymond! The breadth of your abilities is impressive - This piece is a far cry from the Piano Concerto you're currently posting. I love the light, whimsical feel of this short section you posted - of course you know it was cut off abruptly.--I take it this is a work in progress. I sure like it!

EDIT: For newcomers to the thread - Read on. It's explained later that Raymond didn't write this - I'm leaving my initial post though, because it's natural that I assumed he'd be posting original music as he always has. Raymond was having a bit of fun, as he says in his subject line.

Randy

Hah!

Made me smile big on this one. Thanks.

And um... that wasn't Prokofiev, was it?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Hah!

Made me smile big on this one. Thanks.

And um... that wasn't Prokofiev, was it?
    no, this is Schostakowitch, piano concerto no.2

Oops... should have known that!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    no, this is Schostakowitch, piano concerto no.2
    Yes, you are right (forgot to mention) and I recommend everybody to listen to the whole piece he wrote for his son's 19th birthday. This is a another Shostakovich I never expected him to be. Joyful, optimistic, humorous, charming. A great work.

Still smiling,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes, you are right (forgot to mention) and I recommend everybody to listen to the whole piece he wrote for his son's 19th birthday. This is a another Shostakovich I never expected him to be. Joyful, optimistic, humorous, charming. A great work.

Still smiling,

Raymond
    It's a bit of a shame that Schostakowitch's better known works are the more "serious" ones.
    However, he has MANY works that are vibrant and full of humour and joy.
    Try the 9th symphony, for example.

Raymond,

This is definitely worth finishing. I like the lack of pretense and sense of humor. Not only is "just for the fun of it" a good reason to compose a piece, it is great reason to listen to a piece!

Norman

I think it was my third grade teacher who said as she passed out the test --- "read everything before you write anything".

Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post
    Raymond,

This is definitely worth finishing. I like the lack of pretense and sense of humor. Not only is "just for the fun of it" a good reason to compose a piece, it is great reason to listen to a piece!

Norman
    ---Norman, you need to look at posts #4 and 6 above--It's explained this isn't Raymond's composition--. As he said in his subject line, he was having a bit of fun. Whether there's more behind the reasons for this thread --only Raymond knows for sure!

Randy

The first symphony is very playful as well. Actually, most of the symphonies have at least some playful/joyous moments.

On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, give the string quartet #15 a whirl. The six movements are marked:
    I: Adagio
    II: Adagio
    III: Adagio
    IV: Adagio
    V: Adagio molto
    VI: Adagio

I'd put it right up there with Mahler's unfinished 10th, and Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima in the gut-wrenching department. Death hangs heavily over each of those works.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast