• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overwhelmed

Share/Bookmark

Overwhelmed

with all the information I've found here (Principals Of Orchestration), and from 2 important books: The Study of Orchestration and The Guide to MIDI Orchestration. Honestly, I don't know where to start... I can read and write music and have considerable proficiency on the keyboard. Which material should I work through first?

Re: Overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
    ....Which material should I work through first?
    --Which material to work through first? Something not on your list - the GPO manual. Get the basics down of how to use the Library, then dig in. I have the feeling you know more about writing music than you're allowing yourself to know. You'll find out by--digging in.

Randy

Finally, with a smile on my face I saw that old and forgotten RTFM again........ Randy is right, read the GPO manual. The frist few months I had this on my desk, at the right of the monitor for checking it over and over again.

Raymond

Whilst both Raymond and Randy are quite correct, the GPO manual by one's side is essential, IMHO, during the process of learning GPO, it doesn't teach one orchestration.

My own take on this, I have the MIDI orchestration book too, was to start with the lessons based on Rimsky Korsakov's book here in the forum, they were easily accessible, and then cross reference to the MIDI book. And then, with the GPO manual by my side, try the exercises and make up others. Much more is learnt, or was by me, with practical exercises.

It takes time and not a little effort. I'm still gradually working my way through.

Just reading the MIDI book, cover to cover, left me with very little.

Just my 2d.
    SXJohn.

It's best to deal with the technical side first (learning GPO), then start composing and learn orchestration as you go.

You need to have your instruments in place before you can learn to perform...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi anp27,

For the last 8 years I have been teaching orchestration by email to Sibelius users, many of whom came from this forum.

If you have Sibelius and are prepared to work hard, contact me at td@quorndon.com

Terry Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    Hi anp27,

For the last 8 years I have been teaching orchestration by email to Sibelius users, many of whom came from this forum.

If you have Sibelius and are prepared to work hard, contact me at td@quorndon.com

Terry Dwyer
    I forgot to say that the lessons are free to suitable students.

Terry

BIG THANK YOU to everybody who replied
    I actually have gone through the GPO manual, the manual is the first thing I check out when I install a new piece of software. Here's my studio setup:

15" 2011 MBP 2.3Ghz (with 16GB ram)
    M-Audio Keyrig 49
    Behringer UMAS-25
    Akai MPK MINI

I think I have a pretty firm grasp on MIDI and its capabilities, I immediately made a note of the various CCs available within the ARIA player. The 3 midi controllers I mentioned are assigned to do different things. The M-Audio is routed to MIDI Channel 1, which I have set to play the KS String Section in the ARIA Player. I have 4 presets in the Behringer which is set to play different instruments in the Woodwind section, those take up 4 MIDI Channels. The AKAI has both pads and keys, and I've set the pads to play percussion instruments (Channel 10), while the keys play a KS brass section patch (Channel 2). Because each instrument is placed on its own MIDI channel, and I can play each 'instrument' in real time. I do this by putting all the available tracks in Record mode. I use Logic Pro 9 by the way, and I know my way around the software quite well. I am essentially a 'tech geek'!

I guess the thing I'm struggling with now is the 'content'. When I'm at the computer, I'll usually just play random things between the different 'instruments', but I know I'm not actually 'composing'. I'm actually a drummer by trade, and I've done some pit work (both as drummer and percussionist) but I also play the piano (I took some piano lessons as a child). I play a lot of pop, rock and jazz as a drummer. I also have produced tracks in the pop genre for a few people that I work with. However, there's a lot of classical music in my music collection, having performed in orchestras and have a deep appreciation for it. I'm not looking to be a 'classical composer' per se, however, I would like to have a good amount of knowledge in composing and orchestration. That's why I've come here for help.. I just don't know where to begin!

P.S. My fiance's (he's a producer, mixing engineer and musician) great uncle is Aaron Copland, yes. He's told me stories of going to Copland's apartment here in NY, sitting on his lap and playing his piano when my fiance was 5 years old. Just a fun piece of info for y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
    BIG THANK YOU to everybody who replied
    I actually have gone through the GPO manual, the manual is the first thing I check out when I install a new piece of software. Here's my studio setup:

15" 2011 MBP 2.3Ghz (with 16GB ram)
    M-Audio Keyrig 49
    Behringer UMAS-25
    Akai MPK MINI

I think I have a pretty firm grasp on MIDI and its capabilities, I immediately made a note of the various CCs available within the ARIA player. The 3 midi controllers I mentioned are assigned to do different things. The M-Audio is routed to MIDI Channel 1, which I have set to play the KS String Section in the ARIA Player. I have 4 presets in the Behringer which is set to play different instruments in the Woodwind section, those take up 4 MIDI Channels. The AKAI has both pads and keys, and I've set the pads to play percussion instruments (Channel 10), while the keys play a KS brass section patch (Channel 2). Because each instrument is placed on its own MIDI channel, and I can play each 'instrument' in real time. I do this by putting all the available tracks in Record mode. I use Logic Pro 9 by the way, and I know my way around the software quite well. I am essentially a 'tech geek'!

I guess the thing I'm struggling with now is the 'content'. When I'm at the computer, I'll usually just play random things between the different 'instruments', but I know I'm not actually 'composing'. I'm actually a drummer by trade, and I've done some pit work (both as drummer and percussionist) but I also play the piano (I took some piano lessons as a child). I play a lot of pop, rock and jazz as a drummer. I also have produced tracks in the pop genre for a few people that I work with. However, there's a lot of classical music in my music collection, having performed in orchestras and have a deep appreciation for it. I'm not looking to be a 'classical composer' per se, however, I would like to have a good amount of knowledge in composing and orchestration. That's why I've come here for help.. I just don't know where to begin!

P.S. My fiance's (he's a producer, mixing engineer and musician) great uncle is Aaron Copland, yes. He's told me stories of going to Copland's apartment here in NY, sitting on his lap and playing his piano when my fiance was 5 years old. Just a fun piece of info for y'all!
    Are you comfortable with music notation? The reason I ask is I wonder if you try writing AWAY from the computer. In other words go back to the 'old school' way of writing down ideas at the piano with a pencil and manuscript paper. That will alleviate all the technical considerations that may be going through your head and let you focus on the music. Once you get something sketched out on paper, you can then go to the computer and do your orchestration, whether the orchestration is for an orchestra, a small ensemble, a jazz ensemble or whatever.

This isn't exactly how I work, but take a look at this guy's vlog for some ideas of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHqC...KOdpz6Di_Tbjao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHDv...jP-YAfTRY-aEZ5

If you continue to watch this series, he walks through his entire process. Again how he works is not how everyone works but it may provide you with some ideas you can incorporate into your process.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum