• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Instant Orchestra 24 bit

Share/Bookmark

Instant Orchestra 24 bit

Hi all,

Came across this post about IO on gearslutz.

"16-bit 44.1k in the current form. We downsampled to 44.1k 16bit for a smaller download package. So there is potential to create a 24bit version with more advanced features if there is a demand for that. Please contact us, or post on the forums to let us know."

I'd definitely be interested in a 24 bit version. Also, are GPO, JABB, and World 16 bit as well?

Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Instant Orchestra 24 bit

Quote Originally Posted by jbsouthside View Post
    ...are GPO, JABB, and World 16 bit as well?...
    I think they are. Chad will hopefully see this thread and answer you more definitively - he's Garritan programmer.

I remember while Beta testing IO, the initial version was 24 bit, and was such a huge download, it was decided to make it 16 bit, smaller, like the other Garritan Libraries.

Randy

G’day,

If you down-sample 24 bit files to 16 bit files, you cannot change back the 16 bit file to the high quality 24 bit file.

I would love to have all sample libraries in 24 bit format. It is likely that most Garritan sample files have been recorded at 24 bit.

I like to suggest that the user is offered both, 16 bit and 24 bit sample files.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Do you really notice the difference between 16 and 24 bits? I know that some algorithms for handling the audio give a slitghly better result (soundwise). But what is the use when you down sample it all to 16 bits anyway, making a MP3 or CD.

Raymond

16 bits all the way.

24 is pretty useless, at least to my ears. Doesn' t sound much better, takes up more memory on disk and specifically way more resources when you actually use the damn things.

I personally have not one single doubt about it.

Fab

I think Herbert has the answer:
    I like to suggest that the user is offered both, 16 bit and 24 bit sample files.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Do you really notice the difference between 16 and 24 bits? I know that some algorithms for handling the audio give a slitghly better result (soundwise). But what is the use when you down sample it all to 16 bits anyway, making a MP3 or CD.

Raymond
    There is an advantage to having your master 2-tracks in a higher bit depth, especially if you use an audio editing program to master the mix down. Every time you do an edit, you're slightly reducing the quality of the file. I use 32 bits so I have a lot of leeway in doing everything I want without causing audible damage. Doing that kind of work to a 16 bit file reduces its quality in a way that can definitely be heard. Then, when you're through with the mastering - that's your archive copy, and that highest quality master yields the most pristine 16 bit copies for CD and MP3s.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jbsouthside View Post
    Hi all,

Came across this post about IO on gearslutz.

"16-bit 44.1k in the current form. We downsampled to 44.1k 16bit for a smaller download package. So there is potential to create a 24bit version with more advanced features if there is a demand for that. Please contact us, or post on the forums to let us know."

I'd definitely be interested in a 24 bit version. Also, are GPO, JABB, and World 16 bit as well?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hi Jason/Everyone,

Thanks for posting about your interest for 24bit versions for Instant Orchestra. It could be a possibility if there is a high demand. This library is the first step, there is always more that could be done, we are open to adding more instruments, combinations, sounds, and features. We do keep track of all of the suggestions and requests.

Thanks,
    Chad

Thanks Chad. Hopefully this thread will gain some traction.

They do sound great as is, I'm just always looking for that extra bit of fidelity in my productions.

Are all the libraries 16 bit? Couldn't find any info on the website.

Thanks,
    Jason

G’day

Jason said:

“ … I'm just always looking for that extra bit of fidelity in my productions … “

I have to admit that I am a perfectionist too.

16 bit CD quality is good and perhaps often better than required by consumers. The bit rate sets the dynamic range of the sound file. The dynamic range of our hearing is about 130 dB. 16 bit represent about 97 dB, far short of what a trained ear might find acceptable.

We are not bound by using CDs, unless we want to sell CDs. I am mostly using now memory chips for use in my productions. Does anybody care, mostly not.

Randy said:

“There is an advantage to having your master 2-tracks in a higher bit depth, especially if you use an audio editing program to master the mix down. Every time you do an edit, you're slightly reducing the quality of the file. I use 32 bits so I have a lot of leeway in doing everything I want without causing audible damage. Doing that kind of work to a 16 bit file reduces its quality in a way that can definitely be heard. Then, when you're through with the mastering - that's your archive copy, and that highest quality master yields the most pristine 16 bit copies for CD and MP3s.”

I do not agree. Data file formats should not be confused with sizes of registers and numbers, used in computer processing. We are talking here about 16 bit data files and 24 bit data files. 32 bit computers use 32 bit floating point math processing. 64 bit computer use 64 bit number processing. The processing in audio mixing consists of solving mathematical equations with extraordinary accuracy and can be seen as lossless. There is no reduction in quality by the mixing process, provided that we do not change formats.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum