• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Anyone use an EWI? I have a question

Share/Bookmark

Anyone use an EWI? I have a question

I am trying to play parts into Sonar X1 using an AKAI EWI. I just got the horn and it seemed fine all afternoon. I did some midi recording on a part in a song. This evening I tried to do more and the instrument was really delayed. I don't think it is even using sax fingerings. I try to play it in the stand alone ARIA (64 bit) and it plays fine with no delay. I play it in Sonar and there is a significant delay. Anyone know what might be wrong? The AKAI sight had similar questions on the community board with absolutely no help for the person asking the question. And I am not about to pay $30 for a tech guy at AKAI to tell what they should already in the set up manual.

I believe I have the most up to date ARIA engine for the AKAI (it is different than the standard ARIA Player) since I downloaded from the AKAI site.

I am on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit platform.

Thanks guys.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Anyone use an EWI? I have a question

Hi Rich.

I successfully use the EWI. The most likely problem you have is one of A) you are not using the ASIO drivers for your sound card. B) you have a conflict with another USB device or C) you have some type of effect plugin (e.g. PerfectSpace) that consumes lots of CPU slowing things down.

The Aria Engine is really not a concern here because the USB MIDI is what is driving the whole thing. You should be able to use the EWI with any MIDI device (e.g. Dimension Pro or WIVI , etc). To try and narrow it down, I would make a simple project with just a MIDI track and record just MIDI (you might use a light weight VST just for sound). Then you can add back in things to see where the conflict occurs.

If you cannot get this going, you may need to resort to unplugging your USB devices and just use the EWI until you can isolate the conflict. Sometimes other devices behave badly and cause conflicts.

Let me know if this works. You can PM me if you want to take this off line.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I am trying to play parts into Sonar X1 using an AKAI EWI. I just got the horn and it seemed fine all afternoon. I did some midi recording on a part in a song. This evening I tried to do more and the instrument was really delayed. I don't think it is even using sax fingerings. I try to play it in the stand alone ARIA (64 bit) and it plays fine with no delay. I play it in Sonar and there is a significant delay. Anyone know what might be wrong? The AKAI sight had similar questions on the community board with absolutely no help for the person asking the question. And I am not about to pay $30 for a tech guy at AKAI to tell what they should already in the set up manual.

I believe I have the most up to date ARIA engine for the AKAI (it is different than the standard ARIA Player) since I downloaded from the AKAI site.

I am on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit platform.

Thanks guys.

Also, make sure that when you plugin in the EWI to the computer that you DO NOT touch the metal parts of the device. Since it is an electrostatic device, touching the keys or playing barefoot (not kidding) can cause the device to "short circuit" .

Thanks for the suggestions Jim. I have not yet played the EWI with bare feet (yikes). I will check out your other suggestions, though.

I am just confused though because when I first connected the EWI and loaded Sonar X1 and started playing along with a song I have been working on, it worked just fine. I let it sit for a few hours (dinner, evening news and one TV show). When I came back, there was a horrible delay in when I played a note and when it spoke. Nothing was changed except for recording part of a track. I was going to add more to the track. Maybe that is the problem? I need to record the track completely in one sitting? That doesn't seem likely.

Memory and speed should not be a problem as I have a Pentium I7 quad core and 12 gigs of memory plus a graphics card that handles all the graphic calculations (GeForce GTX 470).

Now to check on your suggestions...

Rich

Rich, the only suggestion I have is that maybe Sonar is being overwhelmed by controller data.
    I hope you have as much fun as I am writing parts on the EWI. Some of the Garritan instruments react to the EWI so well I'm just astounded. Sometimes I will lay down the percussion lines with the EWI just because it's handy.

I did get it to work today. I uninstalled the software for the EWI, rebooted and reinstalled. I also moved the piece I was working with into another Sonar File (started it from scratch again). The EWI worked all day today, but I haven't disconnected it from my system as I am afraid of what will happen if I re-connect it.

Martygras

How big a learning curve was it for you to get a grasp of the octave rollers? My big old thumbs are fighting the correct positions along with bumping the pitch bend plates.

I am only using the ARIA that comes with the EWI and it's Garritan AKAI samples. Have you used yours with the standard ARIA engine and all the Garritan sounds?

Any advice you can give on learning the instrument would be great. I still don't know exactly what fingering system is being used on the EWI. Every time I check it in the Stand Alone player it has reverted back to the Standard EWI fingerings even after I set it to saxophone and save the sysex file. I have found no way to set the fingering system while in Sonar X1.

Thanks for the reply.

Rich

The EWI will remember the settings even without using the Aria EWI USB player. The way you can tell if the player recognized is the EWI is by selecting Tools->EWI Configuration and the look at the Firmware version. If it is 0.00 then you have not told the player which MIDI device to use. Once you select the MIDI device, you should see a version number of at least 1.00. You can the select 'Performance' panel and choose the SAX if that is what you are familiar with (I know I am).

Once you make a change you should press 'Save' and it will send the data to the EWI. If you press the 'RESET' button on the EWI it will used the saved settings (i.e. it does not revert to the factory settings).

With regard to playing with the rollers, etc., I takes a bit of time, but I found that if I push too hard on them or try to overly roll my thumb, it just gets sloppy and error prone. A moderate amount of pressure is best, and just like any other instrument, you kinda have to "get to know it".

That is great advice Jim, Thanks. I have looked at my version number and it is 00.00. So I guess the player does not find my EWI? How do I fix that. I have gone into [Tools][Preferences] and check marked EWI-USB as input and output devices, but I still have 00.00 as my version number. Any ideas?

I am also getting that delay again when I play in Sonar. It worked great all day. I sat down for supper and came back and now it has enough delay from when I blow into the mouthpiece to the start of a note that the EWI becomes unplayable. I have no clue what is causing that.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    That is great advice Jim, Thanks. I have looked at my version number and it is 00.00. So I guess the player does not find my EWI? How do I fix that. I have gone into [Tools][Preferences] and check marked EWI-USB as input and output devices, but I still have 00.00 as my version number. Any ideas?

I am also getting that delay again when I play in Sonar. It worked great all day. I sat down for supper and came back and now it has enough delay from when I blow into the mouthpiece to the start of a note that the EWI becomes unplayable. I have no clue what is causing that.
    It does sound like you have a funny USB problem. The version number not changing means that the Aria player cannot talk to the EWI. So that is where I would focus. Check for external drives, thumb drives, CD-Players and the like.

Jim

Everything is removed from USB except 2 Hard drives which are external drives and my wireless connection for my keyboard and mouse. It will be hard to remove those to see if they are in conflict.

I just read this reply to a question on AKAIPro.com. The question is from this month and the reply is only a week or 2 old.

The EWI does recommend that you use XP or Vista and Windows 7 is not officially support as of right now although you may get things working on Windows 7.
    I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I may be in trouble on this one.

The EWI worked great all day. Why doesn't it like the night time?

Rich

Go Back to forum