• Register
  • Help

Topic: A couple of "rogue" keys.

Share/Bookmark

A couple of "rogue" keys.

I just purchased the BASIC Steinway product and have found it to be my favorite sound of the many software piano products I have. However, I noticed a couple of keys that seem to have a particular sharp and tinny sound as compared to all of the rest and I just want to check to see if anyone else has noticed it or can it be attributed to any number of other reasons within my sound system.

The two notes I am referring to are the C# and D keys within the fifth octave from the left. I guess they would be labeled as C#(5) and D(5) using the method for identifying particular keys on the keyboard.

Has anyone else noticed this also ?

Re: A couple of "rogue" keys.

I've noticed some "rogue" keys as well in Basic that don't seem to fit in with the surrounding notes when playing through my speaker system. However, it sounds fine through headphones direct from the sound card, so am thinking it's the result of how my particular speaker system responds to certain input frequencies. Same with any acoustic instrument through different sound systems that need different EQ settings depending on the system/speakers/environment.

What type of sound system are you playing through? What Velocity Curve setting are you using in Basic?

Have you tried playing through good headphones? It'd be interesting to see if you still hear the issues you're experiencing.

BTW, I have other virtual piano programs and GAS Basic has become my go-to piano as well.
    Virtual pianos.... ah, ya gotta love technology.

Quote Originally Posted by DRC88 View Post
    What type of sound system are you playing through? What Velocity Curve setting are you using in Basic?
    I generally use a straight-line velocity curve because it gets a little too soft otherwise.

Have you tried playing through good headphones? It'd be interesting to see if you still hear the issues you're experiencing.
    Because your experience, I did try it through my headphones and you are right ... the keys are just fine through headphones.

Normally, my sound comes through a pair of Yamaha HS80M Powered Monitors.

So, anyway ... that clears that up. Thank you for responding.

Don

Glad to help and sounds like we're in the same boat. Like you, I have no way to effectively EQ my speakers which is a shame since I'd prefer to not wear headphones. I'm now in the process of trying to find better sounding, more comfortable phones. Been reading good things about the Sennheiser HD280 pros for use with keyboards.

Well, you are on the right track with the headphones you mention. You cannot go wrong with those.

As far as EQing speakers, I do not know a lot about that stuff but I am not sure that would help unless you can control every key on the piano individually.

It is really not a big problem, hardly noticeable.

Don

Thanks for the positive input on the headphones. Probably get them today.

Like you, the couple rogue keys when played through speakers aren't a huge issue. In my case it's not an issue of sounding tinny or sharp, but rather just a "different" tonal quality....like the hammers (to reference a real piano) on those notes weren't voiced correctly...but not bad, just noticeable to my ears. Actually, my old Altec Lansing ACS45 satellite/subwoofer speaker system sounds great with good tonal balance from bottom to top, it's just a bit underpowered and can't handle the dynamics without the satellite speakers rattling/distorting. So I just keep the volume level at a compromise. It works. Over the past couple weeks, I've tried different speaker systems and none have come close to the accurate sound of the old Altecs.

I'm looking forward to trying better headphones and seeing how the JDS headphone amp works out, which should arrive today.

Also check this when you play around with your headphones

http://www.headphone.com/learning-ce...we-measure.php

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by idon View Post
    Well, you are on the right track with the headphones you mention. You cannot go wrong with those.

Don
    Got the Senn HD280s today and the sound is awesome. However, I wasn't aware they have a coiled cord....which I've never been crazy about. WHY coiled cords on headphones??? Because of the positioning of my keyboard and computer, it's already an issue. Guess I can use a straight extension. The fit is also VERY tight and trying to get used to it. I read many complaints about the tightness with a couple users stretching them over a basketball for hours in a futile attempt to make them more comfortable. Of course, the positive thing about the tight, sealed fit is I'm hearing every bit of the exceptional sound quality these phones are meant to produce.

Also received the JDS Labs "Altoids" headphone amp (Jeff's suggestion) and although I may be imagining things, it seems to make the sound even better and it's nice to be able to quickly and easily tweak the volume on the fly. Overall, the HD208s and this amp produce very impressive sound....light years better than my old Sony phones. Clarity and tonal quality/balance are fantastic.

Now it's just a matter of getting used to the coiled cord and vice-grip.

The HD280s are great headphones - you see them all the time at NAMM booths (we use them too) due to their great sound isolation. They're a closed design, which is why they can reject outside noise so well. Still, even as good as this phone is, it's to my ears not even close to the HD600s I use, and I suspect this is primarily due to the open design vs. closed design. I don't think you'd need to spend the $300 for 600s to get the advantage, and in the other thread where you were asking about speakers I listed some inexpensive open designs you may want to check out some time. FYI, the HD600s can't reject a thing of outside noise, they're useless for it, if that's important to you. But the difference in sound is night and day from the hd280s and I'm deeply skeptical of audiophile claims. All I can say is try it if you're even remotely curious. You've got an amp now that can drive pretty much any phones.

Funny, I can smell essence of peppermint emanating from the Altoids can while playing. Nice.

Even though the HD600 sounds tempting, I'm not prepared to spend $300+ on phones. As with anything, I know there are better choices than the HD208 at a higher price but just want to find the best quality that will fit my budget. With the coupon, the HD208s were $80. I'm also considering the Sony MDR 5206 which has a straight cord and a more comfortable fit after trying it on in the store. I read mostly good reviews about the 5206, but more glowing reviews about the 208, so went that route. The ATHM50 at $150 has received very good reviews as well. Still looking.

Go Back to forum