• Register
  • Help

Topic: An Americana Piece

Share/Bookmark

An Americana Piece

So, my church orchestra is currently rehearsing a piece I composed for Memorial Day: American Roots. I used GPO4 for all the instruments. So far, they haven't complained more than good-naturedly about the chord progressions (although I heard the word "chromaticism" used once...)

http://soundcloud.com/c-foster-payne/american

Re: An Americana Piece

Quote Originally Posted by FossMaNo1 View Post
    So, my church orchestra is currently rehearsing a piece I composed for Memorial Day: American Roots. I used GPO4 for all the instruments. So far, they haven't complained more than good-naturedly about the chord progressions (although I heard the word "chromaticism" used once...)

http://soundcloud.com/c-foster-payne/american
    Really nice, Foss--Definitely stirring. "chromaticism"--like it's a dirty word--hehe. They'll get over it. Sure would be great if you could get a recording of them playing the piece and then post it here for us.

--Sending you a PM, please check there if you see this first.

Randy

Hi Foss,

I really enjoyed this ... must be a thrill to hear it with live musicians. It certainely feels patriotic and is a very stiring piece; sounds like underscoring for one of those evocative, candlelit night-time Winter Olympic ceremonies.

I guess with Foster being part of your name, you can't help but write a nice Americana piece !

Good luck with performing it live ... yes, please post a recording of it!

Best regards,

Frank

A live recording, eh? Will do, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ... must be a thrill to hear it with live musicians.
    Funny you mention that, Frank. I said the same thing to the orchestra when we read through it two weeks ago. I think the most rewarding for a composer (at least as this stage in my development) is having live musicians play your works. It's AWESOME!!!

Go Back to forum