• Register
  • Help

Topic: How Do I Make GPO/Aria Instrumental (Patch) Changes Within a Single Track?

Share/Bookmark

Question How Do I Make GPO/Aria Instrumental (Patch) Changes Within a Single Track?

I am using GPO4 with Aria Player and Overture notation program on Mac Snow Leopard. After I load GPO instruments into Aria for each track, how am I then able to make instrumental (or patch) changes WITHIN each track as the music proceeds? For example, how can I change from a bowed violin (arco) to a pizzicato and back again within the same track? Or how can I change from an open trumpet to a muted trumpet and back again within the same track? It seems once I load an instrument like bowed violin or open trumpet into an Aria slot, that sound cannot be changed. If I load bowed violin and pizzicato violin into two different Aria slots (or likewise open and muted trumpet into two different slots), how do I get the track in the music to change from one assigned Aria slot to another? At present, I am stuck with fixed track instrumental assignments for the entire piece. This also makes orchestration from a short score impossible. Without patch changes within a single track, I need a separate track for everything. Thank you.

Re: How Do I Make GPO/Aria Instrumental (Patch) Changes Within a Single Track?

Quote Originally Posted by walpern View Post
    I am using GPO4 with Aria Player and Overture notation program on Mac Snow Leopard. After I load GPO instruments into Aria for each track, how am I then able to make instrumental (or patch) changes WITHIN each track as the music proceeds? For example, how can I change from a bowed violin (arco) to a pizzicato and back again within the same track? Or how can I change from an open trumpet to a muted trumpet and back again within the same track? It seems once I load an instrument like bowed violin or open trumpet into an Aria slot, that sound cannot be changed. If I load bowed violin and pizzicato violin into two different Aria slots (or likewise open and muted trumpet into two different slots), how do I get the track in the music to change from one assigned Aria slot to another? At present, I am stuck with fixed track instrumental assignments for the entire piece. This also makes orchestration from a short score impossible. Without patch changes within a single track, I need a separate track for everything. Thank you.
    Hello, Walpern

You need to be using the Keyswitch versions of instruments that have more than one articulation available for them. They're labeled "KS" in the Aria/GPO menu.

Here's an example with Violins 1 KS:

Below the range of that patch are red notes. These are the Keyswitches. Selecting the various Keyswitches changes the patch to the different articulations. As with all of the string patches, here are the available articulations.

--Default is "Sus+Short," and is on C3.
    --C3# is "Sus+short" mutes
    --D3 is Auto alternate
    --D3# is Upbows
    --E3 is Downbows
    --F3 is Pizzicato
    --F3# is Tremolo mutes
    --G3 is Tremolo
    --G3# is 1/2 step trills mutes
    --A3 is 1/2 step trills
    --A3# is Whole step trill mutes
    --B3 is Whole step trills

In a notation program, those Keyswitch notes need to be inserted to switch between all those articulations in that one patch. Then the triggering notes need to be hidden in the score for printing.

The Brass instruments have Mutes available in the KS versions.

I hope you post some of your music in the Listening Room!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Walpern

You need to be using the Keyswitch versions of instruments that have more than one articulation available for them. They're labeled "KS" in the Aria/GPO menu.

Here's an example with Violins 1 KS:

Below the range of that patch are red notes. These are the Keyswitches. Selecting the various Keyswitches changes the patch to the different articulations. As with all of the string patches, here are the available articulations.

--Default is "Sus+Short," and is on C3.
    --C3# is "Sus+short" mutes
    --D3 is Auto alternate
    --D3# is Upbows
    --E3 is Downbows
    --F3 is Pizzicato
    --F3# is Tremolo mutes
    --G3 is Tremolo
    --G3# is 1/2 step trills mutes
    --A3 is 1/2 step trills
    --A3# is Whole step trill mutes
    --B3 is Whole step trills

In a notation program, those Keyswitch notes need to be inserted to switch between all those articulations in that one patch. Then the triggering notes need to be hidden in the score for printing.

The Brass instruments have Mutes available in the KS versions.

I hope you post some of your music in the Listening Room!

Randy
    Thanks so much for this, Randy. This helps enormously. Where is basic information like this stated in print? Is there a GP0/Aria manual, or does one just learn to use it through trial and error and word of mouth? I have been looking at KS for years and could never figure it out. Great! I gather this is limited only to brass and strings, since there appear to be no KS instruments for winds, keyboards, percussion, etc., right?

Further along these lines, how can I not only switch articulation within an instrument (brass or strings), but actually switch instruments or patches? In pre-digital days, I could simply enter a patch change on Overture notation, and it would automatically change the instrumental patch on my Roland OC-1 orchestrai module. This was the best way to create a "short score" for several instruments only on 2, 3, or maybe 4 staves, which I could later expand to full score later, with a single stave for each instrument. So Track 1 for example could switch between any number of different treble instruments, going from say violin to flute to oboe to trumpet and back to violin pizz, and Track 2 could go from cello to bassoon to muted trombone and back to cello pizz. I could even do "bank changes" to entire different sets of sounds.

KS allows me (thanks to you!) to now switch between articulations within a single instrument, but is there any way to switch between instruments themselves, preferably from any one to any other, or least within instrumental families?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by walpern View Post
    Thanks so much for this, Randy. This helps enormously. Where is basic information like this stated in print? Is there a GP0/Aria manual...I gather this is limited only to brass and strings, since there appear to be no KS instruments for winds, keyboards, percussion, etc., right?

Further along these lines, how can I not only switch articulation within an instrument (brass or strings), but actually switch instruments or patches? In pre-digital days, I could simply enter a patch change on Overture notation, and it would automatically change the instrumental patch on my Roland OC-1 orchestrai module...

KS allows me (thanks to you!) to now switch between articulations within a single instrument, but is there any way to switch between instruments themselves, preferably from any one to any other, or least within instrumental families?

Wayne
    Glad to be of assistance, Wayne.

There's a very detailed GPO manual which is part of the Library download. Have you looked in your Garritan folder? It's in your Program Files>Garritan. You should find the PDF manual there.

So there are KS versions of brass and strings, but also for some of the woodwinds. For instance, there's the Flute KS which has three sounds: Vibrato is default, then there's non-vibrato and Flutter Tongue. The same articulations are available for Piccolo. Some woodwinds can have Vibrato controlled by Aftertouch for depth of Vibrato, and CC17 for Vibrato speed. In Aria, always look at the Controls page for each instrument - what's available changes from patch to patch.

I've worked with MIDI for years, using only hardware synths for a long time. I know exactly what you're talking about, - the easy way we could switch patches with Program Change events. But those patches were extremely small data files which re-configured the available controls on a given synth. Sample playback works differently, since the sounds are actual recordings of real instruments. Being audio data, relatively large audio files are being loaded, along with their programming. When we click in Aria to load a different instrument, it's entirely new data being loaded each time. This makes it impossible to do the instantaneous Program Changes available on synthesizers.

I understand you're sometimes wanting to work with reduced scores, doubling up instruments on the same staves. I'm not familiar with how Overture works, but in Sibelius it is possible to do instant patch changes - but what it's doing is switching to a different slot of the sample playback engine, be it Aria, Kontakt Player, or whatever else may be available. The instruments are already loaded, and then engaged when an invisible instrument change command is inserted in the track. Maybe Overture has something like that available that you haven't discovered.

Randy

Go Back to forum