• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for a proper title for this work-in-progress...

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a proper title for this work-in-progress...

Just something I've been working on for awhile but just can't seem to find a fitting name...

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...06,%202011.mp3
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Looking for a proper title for this work-in-progress...

Wow! No wonder you are having difficulty finding a title. It has many facets to it which make it hard to put into one category. The opening to me feels so much like a festive event: a dance, party, a carnival, festival, or a fair. The whole thing is almost like a "Pictures at an Exhibition" in that the scenes & music change as one walks past (all the events at a fair?). There are some "Russian" overtones at one point that remind me of the Moscow Circus. The opening theater organ shouts carousel music and joy. Perhaps a title with the word "Exuberant" in it might typify the overall mood.

You say this is a "work-in-progress", so I offer this opinion: I really wanted to hear the opening theme again at the end (a la "Promenade"?). It is so catchy and I wanted it to come back, sort of arcing the piece.

It is very pleasant to listen to. I want to get up and dance!

Lyriel

Really nice, Mitch! Beautiful work - and I imagine this has been a project of some duration for you.

Tell us more - Is this all GPO? I think maybe you have some CMB (Concert and Marching Band) group instruments in this too?

Lyriel gave you some great input--but he's incorrect about an opening "organ"--there's just often a somewhat organ-like effect when using layers of ensembles, especially when generated from notation programs.

--and Lyriel--that's your first post here ever? wow--Where'd you come from?

Mitch--do come back and tell us more!

Randy

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thanks Lyriel. I have been considering the same thing about adding the beginning at the end again. Some of my thoughts about this WIP are like "A day in the life of..." type theme. Someone off to a fast brisk start, picking up speed, then getting distracted, not being able to stay on task (sort of like the way I am at work ;-) ), getting back on task and suddenly, it's time to go home, settle down for the evening and ...just a thought.

And thank you Randy. Actually, this entire piece is written with Finale 2011 using Aria and GPO instruments only. As for the duration all you have to do is look at the current title. I usually name all my new works for the day I started writing them. So it's only been a few months, which doesn't really tell you much, only that I've been dallying a bit on getting this one finished.

Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated!
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I'm useless at naming my own pieces, so I certainly can't help you there.

Anyhoo - Beautiful piece with a lot of great eclectic ideas. The strongest influence that I hear is Wagner - particularly Tannhauser, in the middle.

Sounds like a labour of love for you, and that comes out in the music. Loved the whole piece start to finish. Well done.

Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Well, this made me think of a few things as it did the other posters. So I will give the original "ask" an attempt at a name. So, I won't be offended if everyone hates them, but here are a couple.

Since it nicely seems to span different periods how about "The Time Traveler" or "The Time Traveler's Journey".
    It also reminds me of things might come from a thematic piece and it made me picture wooden toy soldiers (kinda like Nutcracker Suite) so how about "Dance of the Wooden Soldiers"....

Like the other guys.... names are touch and not my strong suit, but I thought I would throw out some crazy ideas.

Jim

"Rendezvous with Karen at Fair"? Some very nice sections. I really enjoyed listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

All very good ideas for a name...Thank you all for your input. I have so many to choose from now. Maybe I just made my job harder...

By the way trent...that was not me with Karen... hehehe Just kidding...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast