• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adding SFZ sounds and UI Controls to Aria

Share/Bookmark

Adding SFZ sounds and UI Controls to Aria

A while back I experimented with methods for adding banks and SFZ sounds that include UI controls to Aria. This technique is useful for adding SFZ from things like Dimension Pro or SF2 soundfonts that are converted to SFZs, and the tutorial explains how to do both.

This tutorial is a bit long, but detailed and step by step including screen shots. I would be happy to make it shorter or more tailored if there are suggestions.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Jim

http://jdsnyderii.wordpress.com/musi...o-aria-player/

Re: Adding SFZ sounds and UI Controls to Aria

Hey, Thanks!!

I will look at this in the coming weeks. I appreciate your willingness to provide this information and tutorial. That is why I like this community so much.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

New Year's Eve - In-between movies lined up for the evening, and checking the Forum - ! hehe

Thanks for all this, Jim. I downloaded the folder, and have only taken a quick look. I'm guessing the Sample folder is empty because your tute is a project for using some existing sample files as an example.

Without having controls available with imported SFZ files, I've still gotten a lot of use out existing SFZ files by just bringing them into Aria. They respond to velocity, and any other controller programmed in their SFZ files - I haven't missed having the visible controls for them, so I'm not understanding yet what the advantage will be to do all this work you've outlined. --- I need to go through it to get what you're doing. But you do see what I'm talking about, I'm sure - SFZ files open import and work in Aria without any special programming--we're doing everything in your tute so we can have some visible controls, right?--and then?--- I'll have to check it out!

Randy

There are three things you get from the tutorial.

1) adding banks to the UI so you don't have to import.
    2) how to hook up controls including EQ, legato if it applies, and volume control
    3) how to add soundfonts.

As you noted, you can use SFZ files direct, many useful controls don't work without adding UI parameters to balance it with other instruments. If the above features don't matter then the work is clearly not worth it :-)

Jim

P.S. I could provide a subset that just enables aspects that are simplerer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    New Year's Eve - In-between movies lined up for the evening, and checking the Forum - ! hehe

Thanks for all this, Jim. I downloaded the folder, and have only taken a quick look. I'm guessing the Sample folder is empty because your tute is a project for using some existing sample files as an example.

Without having controls available with imported SFZ files, I've still gotten a lot of use out existing SFZ files by just bringing them into Aria. They respond to velocity, and any other controller programmed in their SFZ files - I haven't missed having the visible controls for them, so I'm not understanding yet what the advantage will be to do all this work you've outlined. --- I need to go through it to get what you're doing. But you do see what I'm talking about, I'm sure - SFZ files open import and work in Aria without any special programming--we're doing everything in your tute so we can have some visible controls, right?--and then?--- I'll have to check it out!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    There are three things you get from the tutorial.

1) adding banks to the UI so you don't have to import.
    2) how to hook up controls including EQ, legato if it applies, and volume control
    3) how to add soundfonts.

As you noted, you can use SFZ files direct, many useful controls don't work without adding UI parameters to balance it with other instruments. If the above features don't matter then the work is clearly not worth it :-)...
    Oh this definitely looks worth it, Jim - I just wanted us to hear more about what your programming will do for us. Sounds great to me, and I really appreciate you posting this!

Randy

Go Back to forum