• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital re-arrangement of Henry VIII music

Share/Bookmark

Digital re-arrangement of Henry VIII music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEq1ShUTE6s Somebody told me to make some use of CC1 in an earlier thread. I did so, this is the result. Instruments: 2 Trombones, 1 Tuba. Using lots of reverb and CC1 including ModWheel.

Re: Digital re-arrangement of Henry VIII music

Quote Originally Posted by philosopher View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEq1ShUTE6s Somebody told me to make some use of CC1 in an earlier thread. I did so, this is the result. Instruments: 2 Trombones, 1 Tuba. Using lots of reverb and CC1 including ModWheel.
    Great to see you here with more music, Philosopher - and I can right off the bat say that this, to me, is MUCH more successful than the earlier post. Keep in mind I'm talking about the production. That amount of reverb sounds pretty near perfect to me. And I hear you working with those volumes. Big congrats.

OK, so here's your next tip. Be aware of the role Velocity plays when using GPO:

--Velocity is the MIDI value for how hard a key is struck when using a keyboard. When you hand insert notes, the values will come out all the same, at one default value like 100.

Like all MIDI data, the available range for Velocity is from 0 to 127.

Now the trickier bit - Most standard MIDI instruments use Velocity to determine volume. That's not the case with GPO, which uses non-standard programming. Velocity still plays an important role - it determines how slow or how quick the first part of a sound will happen--that's the Envelope for the Attack portion of the samples.

So, in GPO, when you have low values of Velocity, the sound has a soft start. When you use high values, the sound has a sharper more immediate sound.

Picture how that effects playback of the GPO instruments. If you want a quiet note, it's probably going to have that slower, softer beginning. If you want some notes to be really big and aggressive, then you definitely want to use higher velocity values.

IMPORTANT--- The percussion instruments in GPO, including Piano, Do use Velocity for volume. But the brass, strings and woodwinds all respond to Velocity as I've described it here.

Now, I explained all that because I can hear how what you have in that recording would be improved with a greater variety of Velocity values. I think these notes are all playing high values either most or all of the time. Go into your MIDI editor (Piano Roll View) and edit those values - the difference will be subtle, but will add that much more life to your recordings.

Randy

Go Back to forum