• Register
  • Help

Topic: The eighth sea legend

Share/Bookmark

The eighth sea legend

A MYTH from earlier times about a mysterious other sea (Sargasso) which imperiled all who traveled...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11322137 1st movement

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11322149 2nd movement

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11322153 3rd movement

Re: The eighth sea legend

Yes, definitely the Sargasso Sea, with all its treacherous, meandering and complex currents. Quite an atmosphere built by this piece, Gary. I thought there might be some BIG waves at some point, but I see you've focused on the sea's danger and mystery.

This and the piece you put up yesterday really give the impression of an even greater concentration of your powers since you were here last, Gary - I'd say you've been busy!

Allow me also to kindly point out that the Forum guidelines are still posted here at The Listening Room. Because traffic isn't as heavy as it used to be, there's been some understandable relaxation of those rules. That sticky posts asks us to post new works only after our earlier one has moved off the front page. What seems reasonable now is to wait until a post is perhaps half way down the front page or more.

Since Christmas I put up the next song from my show, "Tom Sawyer,"--but I waited for over a month before posting it. The one before that was posted on Nov. 19th--I politely waited as per what seemed a reasonable reading of the guidelines.

So it'd be great if you could adapt the frequency of your postings as per those guidelines. I'll also pass on that it becomes more attractive to fellow Forum members to reply to your posts if you visit and comment on their music. Quid pro quo - that works well.

Thanks, Gary.

Randy

Thanks again for listening, Randy.
    I only visited the forum this week & saw several people with more than one post.
    I seem to miss little details when approaching new vistas. I probably should have noticed the amount of replies for each post.
    I've never thought to hog space here. With these 1st 2 posts I will delay any new post until my post are here for awhile.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Thanks again for listening, Randy.
    I only visited the forum this week & saw several people with more than one post.
    I seem to miss little details when approaching new vistas. I probably should have noticed the amount of replies for each post.
    I've never thought to hog space here. With these 1st 2 posts I will delay any new post until my post are here for awhile.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Gary
    It's OK, Gary - I just wanted to point out that guideline, since you haven't been here for awhile, and you posted two days in a row. We have loosened up those guidelines, as I said, but everyone is waiting for their posts to go down 1/2 way or more before posting again. I'd gladly keep posting my "Tom Sawyer" tunes since some people have asked to hear them - but I've been waiting a good amount of time so as not to monopolize space.

And I hope you take it to heart what I said about Quid pro quo---when people join in by listening and replying to other people's music, they'll find that people start listening and replying to theirs more. It only makes sense. So, since you're joining back in, hope you take some time to hear other people's music also.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    I reply when I think I can add a comment. Some music is not in my venue-not bad or good-and my comments would be without merit. I do see merit in being encouraging & that will be my goal.
    One comment when I first joined seemed to result in bad feeeling that's servived to now.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Hi Randy,
    I reply when I think I can add a comment. Some music is not in my venue-not bad or good-and my comments would be without merit. I do see merit in being encouraging & that will be my goal.
    One comment when I first joined seemed to result in bad feeeling that's servived to now.

Gary
    Hiya, Gary - I'm really glad to see you back on the Forum, and bringing your fascinating music with you.

And thank you for indulging my Rah Rah Forum! posts on your threads. I find myself hoping to encourage as much participation on these boards as possible, since activity slowed down considerably in 2011.

Things are definitely picking up now, people are doing more, posting what they're comfortable with. I see you responding to music posts here, and I think that's great - you're setting a good example.

You're so right that to be supportive and encouraging is at least one reason for replying to music. Some people think of the Listening Room as a somewhat formal forum for discussing music composition, and so post accordingly. Some others think of this board as a more informal place, where simply listening and letting the poster know they've listened is a good way to join in. There are many different reasons to respond.

Something I personally enjoy is hearing some kinds of music I'm not otherwise exposed to very often, and I may not always have anything especially erudite to contribute in response, but I enjoy saying what I can, and letting the poster know that their efforts are being heard.

The big variety of approaches amongst the forum members is what makes the Garritan Forums so interesting and fun - SO, again, thanks for being here again!

Randy

Go Back to forum