• Register
  • Help

Topic: IO - help

Share/Bookmark

IO - help

Okay, I'm doing something wrong and have absolutely no idea what. I'm using IO and Finale. When I load an IO ensemble, that has five settings, they may appear on channels 1-5 in Aria, or 6-10 in Aria. When i press on the Music keyboard I get one instrument (usually the first one listed, on all channels, but the virtual key board will play the instrument listed on each channel. I'v tried various settings, but nothing seems to be consistant. I love the sounds, but seem to have n o control over where they go or what makes them sound in FInale.

Re: IO - help

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Okay, I'm doing something wrong and have absolutely no idea what. I'm using IO and Finale. When I load an IO ensemble, that has five settings, they may appear on channels 1-5 in Aria, or 6-10 in Aria. When i press on the Music keyboard I get one instrument (usually the first one listed, on all channels, but the virtual key board will play the instrument listed on each channel. I'v tried various settings, but nothing seems to be consistant. I love the sounds, but seem to have n o control over where they go or what makes them sound in FInale.
    Hi Tom,

Many of the ensembles from IO perform in OMNI mode. This means that the ARIA instruments slots set to OMNI will be triggered on any incoming MIDI channel.

The virtual keyboard in ARIA will only trigger the selected instrument slot that you are on (it won't trigger the other instrument slots even if they are OMNI). That behavior is intend and normal.

Best,
    Chad

Although when you load an ensemble into aria and most appear on channel 1 or omni, you can just reassign the channels in the aria player anyway. The right most number of each instrument listed can be clicked on, and a channel assignment drop down will appear.

If 5 instruments appear as channel 1, you can change the 2nd instrument to ch. 2, and so on.

Then after that as normal, assign the stave channels in finales instrument manager.

What used to be channel slots in aria are now just instrument slots, and you can assign channels however you like. Hope that helps.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks for the input. I will head back to the manuals to find more info on "OMNI" I greatly appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will head back to the manuals to find more info on "OMNI" I greatly appreciate the information.
    Hi, Tom - Graham and Chad have already steered you to safe shores, but I want to jump in to help you understand "OMNI."

In any given single instance of a multi-timbral soft synth, like Aria, there are 16 available MIDI channels. When you have used GPO in Aria, as you load instruments into the 16 available slots, they are automatically numbered 1 through 16, matching the slot numbers in Aria.

But that's only the default setting. You can change the channels of instruments to anything you like. Graham pointed out to you where you find the controls in Aria for changing the MIDI channel assignments.

As Chad said, some of the Ensembles in IO are programmed so that by default some or all of the instruments will respond to any MIDI channel. That's what "OMNI" mode is in MIDI - Omni as in "All." With those instruments programmed to be set in OMNI mode, when you play your keyboard, all of the instruments will respond, regardless of what MIDI channel you transmit on. That's the way those particular Ensemble patches manage to get that gigantic, layered sound.

But, as has been pointed out here on this thread, you can change the basic defaults to anything you like - You can change the MIDI channels with those controls on the instrument slots in Aria. You could take an Ensemble intended to have all the instruments sound off at once, and re-assign each instrument to its own MIDI channel. That way you would have a set-up more like what you're accustomed to in GPO. You won't have that instant huge sound, but in some cases you may want to have individual control over the various Ensemble instruments, and you would have that control by dividing up the MIDI channel assignments.

Hope that clears it all up for you.

Randy

Thank you Randy, that helps a great deal. As I often point out with all humility, I write music, I don't do so well with computers.

Go Back to forum