• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWI USB Garritan Instruments--worth installing for a GPO user?

Share/Bookmark

EWI USB Garritan Instruments--worth installing for a GPO user?

Hi -

I am thinking of buying the EWI USB. I already own the current GPO.

The EWI USB comes with some Garritan instruments. I am wondering if they are worth installing, for someone who already owns GPO.

If they are all instruments that are present in GPO, then it may not be worthwhile for a GPO user to install. However, as I mentioned in another thread, I do think it worth it for a GPO user who buys Finale to install the Finale Garritan instruments, as that package includes instruments not in GPO. I don't know if that is also true with EWI USB though.

One thing that could also make it worth installing, would be if the instruments are optimized somehow for use with a wind controller. However, if that is not the case, and if there are no sounds in the package not already in GPO, then I would not see the point of installing that.

Does anyone here know? Does the Garritan instrument package that comes with the EWI USB include instruments not in GPO (for instance, from JABB?), or not? Also, has there been some kind of optimization of them, to work better with a wind controller?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Happy Holidays!

Re: EWI USB Garritan Instruments--worth installing for a GPO user?

I would personally install the EWI USB instruments if you plan to use the EWI for playing. It is optimized pretty nicely "out of the box" for the EWI (e.g. legato, vibrato with mouth piece, velocity/attack via breath). Next in the list (again my view), JABB is better suited to the EWI than is GPO4. But they will all work reasonably well.

Here is a link to the EWI USB with the provided Tenor Sax (Tenor Trials).
    Also, here is a JABB3 clarinet with the EWI. Note that I modified the EWI settings to match the JABB3 controls (Maid with the Flaxen Hair).

Hope this helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    Hi -

I am thinking of buying the EWI USB. I already own the current GPO.

The EWI USB comes with some Garritan instruments. I am wondering if they are worth installing, for someone who already owns GPO.

If they are all instruments that are present in GPO, then it may not be worthwhile for a GPO user to install. However, as I mentioned in another thread, I do think it worth it for a GPO user who buys Finale to install the Finale Garritan instruments, as that package includes instruments not in GPO. I don't know if that is also true with EWI USB though.

One thing that could also make it worth installing, would be if the instruments are optimized somehow for use with a wind controller. However, if that is not the case, and if there are no sounds in the package not already in GPO, then I would not see the point of installing that.

Does anyone here know? Does the Garritan instrument package that comes with the EWI USB include instruments not in GPO (for instance, from JABB?), or not? Also, has there been some kind of optimization of them, to work better with a wind controller?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I think you are saying that there are sounds that come with the EWI USB that are not in GPO (some of the JABB sounds?), and that the sounds are optimized to use with a wind controller, so good to install.

I would also be interested in hearing the same question I asked about the Finale Garritan instruments. Whether you can play these extra sets (Finale and EWI-USB) with the Aria Player that comes with GPO (if so, how does one get Aria-GPO to recognize those sounds?), or does one have to install a separate Aria player for each sound set? (Also possible, I guess, that the optimization for wind controller that you speak of, is only available with the Aria version that comes with the EWI?)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I would personally install the EWI USB instruments if you plan to use the EWI for playing. It is optimized pretty nicely "out of the box" for the EWI (e.g. legato, vibrato with mouth piece, velocity/attack via breath). Next in the list (again my view), JABB is better suited to the EWI than is GPO4. But they will all work reasonably well.

Here is a link to the EWI USB with the provided Tenor Sax (Tenor Trials).
    Also, here is a JABB3 clarinet with the EWI. Note that I modified the EWI settings to match the JABB3 controls (Maid with the Flaxen Hair).

Hope this helps.

Jim

Yes, the EWI usb software contains many instruments from JABB (e.g. saxes, though in a simplified version).
    Also it contains some nice synth sounds you cannot find in any other libraries.

The 16-track Aria player will play all instruments, from other Aria installations as well, with the same behaviour, as the wind controller optimization is not done in the Aria players but instead in the instruments themselves.

I'd also like to add that the World instrument library works great with the EWI USB. I've had that library for almost a year and still haven't tried all of the instruments. Very happy with all but a few instruments.

Go Back to forum