• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Michael Praetorius - “Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir”,

Share/Bookmark

Michael Praetorius - “Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir”,

Hello and Seasons Greetings To You All!

Here is my arrangement and recording of a choral piece by German great, Michael Praetorius February 15, 1571 – February 15, 1621, called, “Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir”, or, “From deep distress I cry to thee”.
    There are 2 groups of SATB, the first on the left, the second on the right, 8 parts in all. I created 3 versions of the piece. The first for Choir, the second for Strings and the last for the Brass and I also added a Timpani.
    Then, based on what seemed to be going on in the music, I mixed each of the 3 together and added the Timpani. I used the Irina Brochin sample, after thankfully finally finding a little free VST player that has ADSR and is stable, called Font! 2, pretty sure. In addition, I used the Vienna Inst. Soprano Choir and some soprano vocal samples from SampleTank2. For the Tenor and Bass voices, I used the Choir Lite in GPO4. The rest of the instruments are all from GPO4 as well.
    It’s not exactly “Christmassy” music, but it does have a certain spiritual quality to it. I think Michael Praetorius was a terrific composer; he integrated the ideas and innovations of the Italians, like Gabrieli, and as a result, greatly informed German music, leading, in part, to its powerful position in music of the 17th century and forward.

All the Best!
    sd cisco

New Box.net link: http://www.box.com/s/ju3z9xl61ycf4c7ltrks

Good ole You Tube!
    http://youtu.be/dy6f26_xGxg

Re: Michael Praetorius - “Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir”,

I would love to hear this but the link asks me to sign in to my box.net account and then tells me that I don't have access to the file (which is obvious, since I didn't upload the file to box.net). I think you need to check the link again.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I would love to hear this but the link asks me to sign in to my box.net account and then tells me that I don't have access to the file (which is obvious, since I didn't upload the file to box.net). I think you need to check the link again.

Rich, you are right! Box.net have changed the rules. I will quickly produce and upload to You Tube, until I come up with something better.
    My apologizes, stand by for new link.
    .S.

The "Ahhs" have it!

I know stupid joke. Sincerely, though, I like the arrangement and the mix. You have done an excellent presentation with the vocals and instruments that you used. You got quite a nice choral blend for what voices you had at your disposal. It was pleasant to listen to and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    The "Ahhs" have it!

I know stupid joke. Sincerely, though, I like the arrangement and the mix. You have done an excellent presentation with the vocals and instruments that you used. You got quite a nice choral blend for what voices you had at your disposal. It was pleasant to listen to and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Well, ahh, thank you, ah thank you very much!! Doing the best with what I've got has been the story of my Life!!
    So, ah, Merry Christmas and thank you for listening!
    Ah, ah, ah-choo!!!!!!!

.S.

First--I'm not sure why the Box link wasn't working, Sd. You click the arrow that says More Options when you hover, then get link - and then use the first link that appears. That's the one that takes visitors to the page with an MP3 player. If you use the second link, the "Direct Link"--not so good, it forces people to download.

Like here's the link I used for the first number in "Tom Sawyer" when I posted it.

http://www.box.com/s/megqoblrxup2oap418ip

--But--don't know what else you may have done. Hmmmm.

Second--Irony!-- So you went to You Tube--and that's where I have problems! I am forced to download videos from that or any online video site, then watch them on my own media player. Isn't that a drag?--And nobody can figure out why. This is on my new super computer - Still using my Alesis interface for recording and for everything. That worked fine on my last computer, a laptop, but on this one, I get horrible Static From Hell when I try to stream video.

Oh well - I downloaded your piece from You Tube and listened. It's very pretty, languorous and not terribly interesting music for me, so much the same throughout, but I understand these sorts of things have historical significance and interest to some.

The recording is from notation, correct? I think the notation perfection and fairly constant dynamic level added to the impression I had of the music being kind of dull - and I Do have a problem listening to sampled "ahs" for very long.

BUt--geez, I sound like I'm in a bad mood.-- I Am impressed with the work you've put in on this, and it is a pretty recording, I want to emphasize that more here as I stop typing.

Thanks, Sd.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    First--I'm not sure why the Box link wasn't working, Sd. You click the arrow that says More Options when you hover, then get link - and then use the first link that appears. That's the one that takes visitors to the page with an MP3 player. If you use the second link, the "Direct Link"--not so good, it forces people to download.

Like here's the link I used for the first number in "Tom Sawyer" when I posted it.

http://www.box.com/s/megqoblrxup2oap418ip

--But--don't know what else you may have done. Hmmmm.

Second--Irony!-- So you went to You Tube--and that's where I have problems! I am forced to download videos from that or any online video site, then watch them on my own media player. Isn't that a drag?--And nobody can figure out why. This is on my new super computer - Still using my Alesis interface for recording and for everything. That worked fine on my last computer, a laptop, but on this one, I get horrible Static From Hell when I try to stream video.

Oh well - I downloaded your piece from You Tube and listened. It's very pretty, languorous and not terribly interesting music for me, so much the same throughout, but I understand these sorts of things have historical significance and interest to some.

The recording is from notation, correct? I think the notation perfection and fairly constant dynamic level added to the impression I had of the music being kind of dull - and I Do have a problem listening to sampled "ahs" for very long.

BUt--geez, I sound like I'm in a bad mood.-- I Am impressed with the work you've put in on this, and it is a pretty recording, I want to emphasize that more here as I stop typing.

Thanks, Sd.

Randy
    Randy;
    I know someone who had a similar problem with you tube, only it was that the video wouldn't play full screen.
    I told him that I'd read that if you go on you tube and try to play a video, when the video player comes up you should right click on it and then click on Settings. Whatever it is set at for the hardware acceleration, switch it to the opposite, then close and restart your browser and see what happens, unless of course you've already tried it.
    .S.

Great job on putting this together. Pretty emotive and it has a traditional christmas feel to it.

Choir voices aren't quite as good as instruments yet but they do a decent job.

I also use ST2 and there voices in there that work pretty well at times. I also use Miroslav and the choir works for me.

Very nice!

Phil

Much enjoyed, I've only heard organ works of M.Praetorius so far.
    I think he, as well as Buttstett, Pachelbel and a few other German Baroque composers is - perhaps undeservedly - half-forgotten, lost in the shadow of the great J.S.Bach.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Great job on putting this together. Pretty emotive and it has a traditional christmas feel to it.

Choir voices aren't quite as good as instruments yet but they do a decent job.

I also use ST2 and there voices in there that work pretty well at times. I also use Miroslav and the choir works for me.

Very nice!

Phil
    Hi Phil;
    Thanks for listening and commenting! Glad you found some merit in piece! I quite like ST2, especially the electric guitar samples, feel like JH when I stretch them out!!
    I guess the next step up would be something like the EW choirs, where you actually have them singing words, but I haven't seen too many examples of it at work. Forum member "Theo" has used it and I thought that was excellent.

Merry Christmas!

sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast