• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Four Ages of the World

Share/Bookmark

The Four Ages of the World

I recently worked on this mockup of a movement from one of Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf's symphonies based on Ovid's "Metamorphoses". I started working on it with GPO2 as the tool of choice, but decided to upgrade to GPO4 some days ago. The transition to the upgraded GPO was quite easy as most of the CC1 data responded quite similar in both versions. The new version of the program is certainly easy to work with.

It has actually been some years since I last posted a work here, but using GPO again reminded me on how nice it is to just draw the CC1 data without having to think of a large amount of different patches or extensive keyswitching.

I hope you enjoy the piece! http://www.box.com/s/44jjus2gtph8n5dcrjr8
    Halvor

Re: The Four Ages of the World

I think you have done a wonderful mockup of this work. It sounds very good and the instrumentation and mix seems to work very well.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by halvor View Post
    I recently worked on this mockup of a movement from one of Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf's symphonies based on Ovid's "Metamorphoses". I started working on it with GPO2 as the tool of choice, but decided to upgrade to GPO4 some days ago. The transition to the upgraded GPO was quite easy as most of the CC1 data responded quite similar in both versions. The new version of the program is certainly easy to work with.

It has actually been some years since I last posted a work here, but using GPO again reminded me on how nice it is to just draw the CC1 data without having to think of a large amount of different patches or extensive keyswitching.

I hope you enjoy the piece...
    Well my goodness, Halvor, you Cannot stay away so long again - especially if you bring great music like this along with you on your visits!

This is gorgeous - the sort of GPO recording which can impress so much that a non-GPO person runs out to get the Library, it's that good.

Fantastic work - And congrats to you for moving up to the current Aria version of GPO--Nice hmm?! Yeah!

Thanks again for the gift of your beautiful recording.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I think you have done a wonderful mockup of this work. It sounds very good and the instrumentation and mix seems to work very well.
    Thanks for the nice words, RichR.I'm glad you enjoyed the piece. I think the rendering had a tad too much reverb, so I made this a bit more discrete in a new upload.

Thanks for listening.
    Halvor

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well my goodness, Halvor, you Cannot stay away so long again - especially if you bring great music like this along with you on your visits!

This is gorgeous - the sort of GPO recording which can impress so much that a non-GPO person runs out to get the Library, it's that good.

Fantastic work - And congrats to you for moving up to the current Aria version of GPO--Nice hmm?! Yeah!

Thanks again for the gift of your beautiful recording.

Randy
    Thanks for the very nice words, Randy! I'm glad you found the rendering to be pretty good and realistic, because I spent some time tweaking the CC1 to get a musical result. I drew it by hand in the sequencer because I have no modwheel. Often when I try to make phrases sound lyrical, they tend to be a bit over the top. So I had to adjust things quite a bit to get a balanced sound. I hope I have achieved this. I see GPO4 now have a auto-legato function. I think this will fasten the workflow in future works.

Thanks for commenting and listening.
    Halvor

Thumbs up Re: The Four Ages of the World

I like. Like, Like, Like! Nice sting work. However, I kind of resent the use of the word "mockup". There is nothing "mocking" here and would rather say you have done a fantastic "rendering" of a wonderful piece.

Yes? .............. YES! Awesome work! Sweet!
    Styxx

Thanks for the good words, Styxx
    Halvor

Excellent rendition. And certainly some of the very best string work I've heard from GPO.

What patches did you use for this?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

It's well past-due but this rendering is positively gorgeous. And it's making me curious.

-Did you play/record all the parts yourself? Because it sounds very "human." If you've been entering the data by hand and tweaking each note individually until it stops sounding quantized (which is what I do with all my music), even more awesome.

-For the love of all things musical and holy PLEASE share with us what you've used for reverb and post-processing because I seriously want whatever it is for Christmas. Or even if it's just GPO's built in reverb you've still done things with it that I haven't quite figured out yet.

Great piece of music you have here - thanks for sharing it with us!
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Excellent rendition. And certainly some of the very best string work I've heard from GPO.

What patches did you use for this?
    Thanks for commenting, Plowking. I appreciate your nice words. On the strings I loaded the main keyswitch and mainly used only the sustained/short articulation (C1). Sometimes I "faked" a very soft timbre with sordino.
    Halvor

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast