• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a survey for Jazz is it still popular?

Share/Bookmark

Just a survey for Jazz is it still popular?

Hi My father is a fan of Jazz and to all people who loves Jazz ... I am having a survey if jazz still popular this days. As far as we know most of people now are fun of rock , rap and other music..

Re: Just a survey for Jazz is it still popular?

Quote Originally Posted by portugaljazz View Post
    Hi My father is a fan of Jazz and to all people who loves Jazz ... I am having a survey if jazz still popular this days. As far as we know most of people now are fun of rock , rap and other music..
    Hi portugaljazz,

I am a trumpet player (lead/solo) and have been playing as a weekend warrior professional for 35 years. I love jazz (Big Band in particular), but have seen band after band go the way of the dinosaur over that time. There are several reasons for this, which include number of available/skilled musicians, audiences aging out (dying), costs - if a paying gig, etc.

Dance band is a bit more popular, but again, that audience is aging out, so I wonder how much longer it will be with that genre.

The jazz audience has grown smaller since there are many more options for them to listen to. The trend also appears to be leaning more toward a mixture of "pop" and "cool jazz". Chris Botti, even Kenny G is more appealing to the ear, as opposed to, let's say, a Kenton piece with loud, contrapuntal lines which are harder to enjoy for most. Simple is better, and most good jazz is not simple.

On that note (no pun intended ;-)... think of how popular "County" music is. People can relate to it, and human nature likes familiarity. Jazz, on the other hand, is something that is nice to listen to, but even the blues is losing it's audience because most people don't have that background any longer.

There are other factors, but I hope I laid out the direction I've seen Jazz head over the years.

I guess there are more other type of music lover's than jazz lovers. Jazz lovers appreciate something very special, it is popular for those that are open minded.

Hi My father is a fan of Jazz and to all people who loves Jazz ... I am having a survey
    if jazz still popular this days. As far as we know most of people now are fun of rock,
    \rap and other music..
    As you said, most people like rock and other popular genres. That's normal for any
    culture to like the new or popular music of the time. Jazz has been going strong for
    decades while other genres of "pop" music has come and gone.

Go Back to forum