• Register
  • Help

Topic: A 'simple' Sonar Question

Share/Bookmark

A 'simple' Sonar Question

Hi,

I have Sonar 6 Producer Edition.

I'm trying to access 'controllers' on the Insert menu. I've tried all the views, and it seems permanently grayed out.

How does one access it ?

Also, where does one find 'series of controllers' ?

Thanks.

Jack

Re: A 'simple' Sonar Question

Hi, Jack

You're referring to the "Insert series of controllers" menu item in Sonar, under "Insert." - That's a quick-and-dirty way of inserting, but it would be better to go to where you have full control and visual feedback as you work on a track - and that would be in the Piano Roll View, which is the heart of MIDI production in Sonar.

It sounds like you're not selecting a track before trying to work with controllers. --After recording a MIDI track, click the track header in the default Track View so the track is selected. That way you'll be assured that you're working with the right track, and that something has indeed been selected.

Click open the Piano Roll View. The notes in that track are visible in the large field with a grid on it. Under that is a "pane" where the velocities for the notes are displayed.

In the box on the far left of the Velocity pane are a plus sign and a subtract sign. Click the + and that adds a new pane/lane. Select the header of that pane.

Go to the PRV menu at the upper left corner labeled "Notes/Velocity" and click it. Then click "New Value." If you're working with General MIDI a list of standard MIDI controllers will come up. If you're working with GPO, the menu window will be blank - just the type the number of the controller you want - CC1 for volume, for instance, and just type "1"--don't include "CC."

After doing that, the new pane you created above will be ready to display CC1 data. If you don't have any CC1 data in your project, it will appear there if you record it, or you can start drawing it in with your mouse.

Here's a screen shot I recently made to illustrate a different question, but I'll use it again because it shows part of the PRV with a pane of CC11 data in it:

NOTE: At some point, Cakewalk/Sonar changed the way to draw data in the PRV, and I'm not sure which method works in Sonar 6. For several versions now, one needs to turn the PRV grid off, then hold CTRL while drawing with the mouse. That's what one does to get smooth bits of data as seen in the screen shot. With Sonar 6, it's possible that you don't need to hold CTRL down while drawing - you'll soon find out when experimenting.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi,

I have Sonar 6 Producer Edition.

I'm trying to access 'controllers' on the Insert menu. I've tried all the views, and it seems permanently grayed out.

How does one access it ?

Also, where does one find 'series of controllers' ?

Thanks.

Jack

Thanks, Randy.

Selecting the track was, of course, the key. Since I'm accustomed to working with numbers, I was looking for that method on the menus. However, using PRV would be a more desirable method once I can get used to it.

Your reply was very helpful.

Best Regards,

Jack

What Randy said

Also, if you want to draw a straight line hold down shift while moving the mouse. Something else worth noting (no pun intending) is that if you copy and paste dynamics they don't always sound as good on a different instrument. After pasting you may have to do some minor tweaking. And make sure you start the clip containing the dynamic markings at exactly the same spot as the track you are copying from. If you want a big crescendo on a certain note(s) but you've pasted it early or late you'll have this random crescendo terrorizing a poor innocent note.

-Dane

Go Back to forum