• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity and dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Velocity and dynamics

I read the tutorial referenced in another thread. It was by Steve Johnson and he methodically related CC1 and CC7 to the various dynamic markings. It makes for a great point of reference. I was wondering if anyone has drawn a similar relation between velocities and dynamics. I would think the higher the velocity the higher the dynamic but I am not sure. Would be interested in how anyone else may look at it.

Re: Velocity and dynamics

I guess the reality is that I am unsure how to use velocity with sustaining instruments. I understand how to use CC1 for dynamics. But how do I use velocity with sustaining instruments. I've searched the forum but have not come up with anything solid.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    I read the tutorial referenced in another thread. It was by Steve Johnson and he methodically related CC1 and CC7 to the various dynamic markings. It makes for a great point of reference. I was wondering if anyone has drawn a similar relation between velocities and dynamics. I would think the higher the velocity the higher the dynamic but I am not sure. Would be interested in how anyone else may look at it.
    Hi, Richard!

My apologies for not responding earlier. You were kind enough to look at my CC1/CC7 info, so hopefully this might be helpful.

Basically, there is a correlation between key velocity and CC1/CC7. However, for the sustain instruments velocity handles the initial attack, and I've found that some instruments will use velocity values based on whether or not the attack has an accent at the beginning of the note. Unfortunately, it has been a few months since I was able to continue on my music project, and I'm having to relearn what I was doing. Guess the best way I can say it for now is that velocity values are generally useful with CC1/CC7, but go by how they sound in the appropriate circumstances and tweak them according to what sounds best for you.

Steve

Thank you. Sounds like I will have to do some experimentation. So much to learn.

Go Back to forum