• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Topic: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    For starters, I'm a proud owner of GPO and I have nothing but good things to say about. It's that time of year again where everything is going on sale and I was considering purchasing an additional library (I already own GPO and World instruments). Right now there is a ridiculous group buy on Kirk Hunter's stuff and I'm leaning in that direction but I've also considered East West instruments. I really just wanted additional variety in my brass and strings sections. I haven't seen any demos for solo strings from East West and I haven't been able to see too many reviews on Kirk Hunter's libraries. I thought I would ask the Garritan community just because I trust the knowledge base of this group. The reason I'm such a fan of GPO is because of how customizable it is. It's my understanding that East West has some wrong notes as well as reverb on the samples. I can't really see anything wrong with Kirk Hunter's libraries othe than the fact that I see very little information about them.

    -Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Hi, Dane

    I had a look at the Kirk Hunter site, since you made me curious. There are certainly a slew of great testimonials from industry pros, including Jeff Beal (composer for "Ugly Betty") who is a GPO user and used to be a contributor here at the Forum.

    Maybe your budget can make it work, but you do understand you'd be making quite an investment with those Libraries. You have to have Kontakt from Native Instruments, version 4 or higher - not the "Player" version, but the full retail version. That's $200 just for the sample player.

    Then there's a dizzying selection of different Kirk Hunter sample packages available, the orchestra divided up in different ways, with quite a variety of prices. You said you'd like to add to your strings and brass - there's a strings/brass combination at a sale price of $287--Apparently that's usually sold for $1,148.

    Your tab would add up fast there, putting it in a different market area than GPO - but maybe that fits your budget. If it does, and you like the demos, - I don't think you need more info.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Rbowser,

    Thanks for the response. See I had no idea I had to purchase the Kontakt player. Right now you can get the Diamond version for $130ish because of a group buy that's knocking it 75% off but I had no plans on dropping 200 bucks on a sample player. This is good information because I wanted to purchase some sampled bass guitars from NI but I didn't realize that you had to purchase the Kontakt Player. (I wonder if I could load those samples into the Aria player) This means I'll likely be purchasing Jazz Band now because I really REALLY want a good virtual bass guitar.

    I was really just wanting to thicken my strings and my brass sections. Something that I've noticed is that a steep price tag doesn't always equal quality. If I had the money, I would love to purchase Project Sam brass for more variety but frankly I think the GPO samples sound just as good and I can't seem to justify spending 4times as much for variety sake.

    Is there any word as to the next Garritan Library be it advanced strings or choir samples?

  4. #4

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Hi, Dane - From what I saw, the Libraries there I was looking at all said "Requires Kontakt 4 and up"--and I double checked on the current Kontakt price for you, $200. Take a good look though, maybe some of these don't need Kontakt--but I think the whole line is aimed at Native Instruments users.

    Note that there's a difference between the Player and the full version of Kontakt. The Player comes free with some NI Libraries - but the Kirk Hunter site is talking about the full version. Also note though that Kontakt is more than just a sample player, it's also an editor - it's very versatile, powerful, and something of an industry standard.

    No, you wouldn't be able to load the samples in Aria. Being Kontakt instruments, they're done in a proprietary format that would prevent them being ported into Aria.

    Your aim is to thicken your string and brass sections. Maybe it's something you haven't done yet, but realize that with GPO in Aria, you don't have to only have one sample set playing at a time. You can load several string patches, set them to the same MIDI channel, and make a much thicker sound. Same with the brass patches. That's what a lot of people do to get an instantly bigger sound. The more laborious approach is to use the samples in layers, but on different MIDI channels, so you're layering in that way - and you do have more control over how the layers interact, it just takes a lot more time.

    The basses in JABB are good, and with clever programming, all the instruments in that Library can sound great - you just have to be ready for a lot of MIDI controller work, rather than expecting an instantly gratifying result "out of the box."

    If you have a recording program like Sonar, there are often sampled basses included. Like Sonar has one that a lot of people use, it does sound great, "Studio Instruments Bass"--an electric bass that the user has a lot of control over, it's sound is very versatile.

    I think it shouldn't be all that long before the next Garritan Library is announced, and it will include advanced strings. Stand by.

    Randy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    Rbowser,

    Thanks for the response. See I had no idea I had to purchase the Kontakt player. Right now you can get the Diamond version for $130ish because of a group buy that's knocking it 75% off but I had no plans on dropping 200 bucks on a sample player. This is good information because I wanted to purchase some sampled bass guitars from NI but I didn't realize that you had to purchase the Kontakt Player. (I wonder if I could load those samples into the Aria player) This means I'll likely be purchasing Jazz Band now because I really REALLY want a good virtual bass guitar.

    I was really just wanting to thicken my strings and my brass sections. Something that I've noticed is that a steep price tag doesn't always equal quality. If I had the money, I would love to purchase Project Sam brass for more variety but frankly I think the GPO samples sound just as good and I can't seem to justify spending 4times as much for variety sake.

    Is there any word as to the next Garritan Library be it advanced strings or choir samples?

  5. #5

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Hi Dane,
    I can't speak for the libraries you are considering, but since you mentioned bass...
    to me, there is nothing better than Trillian by Spectrasonics... Unbelieveably fantastic!

    Dan

  6. #6

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Dane,
    I can't speak for the libraries you are considering, but since you mentioned bass...
    to me, there is nothing better than Trillian by Spectrasonics... Unbelieveably fantastic!

    Dan
    Fantastic Bass, for sure - If you have $300 for a bass, there you are, Dane.---

    Randy

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Native Instruments is running a special of $199 for the full Kontakt which is the cheapest price I've ever seen for it. As Randy mentioned the Kontakt player is not the same as the full Kontakt and Kirk Hunter libraries need the full Kontakt. The full Kontakt also comes with around 30 GB's of samples.

    I've used Kirk's strings over the years to mix with my other libraries and they are nice especially at 75% off. The Concert Strings 2 library does include various size string sections which are quite nice for doing divisi work. The solo strings included are also very nice sounding.

    I have some East West stuff but I rarely use it.

    Jim

  8. #8

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Good call,

    I use Sonar and I actually purchased Studio Instruments some time back. The word "Advanced Strings" just made my day. Now, I want to hold off purchasing anything. I've looked into spectrasonc's stuff and it's definitely impressive but probably more than I want to spend for the sake of one instrument. (I guess I could just get my bass back from Florida)

    About multiple string patches..... I understand that I can load multiple patches to the same track but when you say multiple patches are you referring to more than one instance of a specific section (eg. 1st violins KS) or do you mean to load different string sections like violas into the same track as the violins? I usually just use the general strings patch to thicken.

    Hey, thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that I get every time I hang out on these forums. That's what I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving. That and the turkeys and pigs that gave their lives so that I could binge today.

  9. #9

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Wow--look at all this activity on Thanksgiving eve!

    You have Sonar--That's great, Dane. I wonder what version you bought, though, because the Studio Instruments collection comes with Sonar-- You have to try out the SI Bass. It's really pretty good, a lot of Sonarites use it.

    Multiple layers - NO, definitely not the same patch, you'll get phasing of sound that way. You could layer Full Strings, or Lush Strings, with 1st Violins, for instance. Still be careful about any artifacts like phasing that don't sound right - offsetting the timing, or some careful detuning can be used.

    Something definitely to try, what a lot of us do - You have a group string patch, 1st strings again for an example - layer in a solo string so it's not really sticking out, but is still in there giving some detail to the sound, like the "Concert Master" lead violinist.

    Randy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    Good call,

    I use Sonar and I actually purchased Studio Instruments some time back. The word "Advanced Strings" just made my day. Now, I want to hold off purchasing anything. I've looked into spectrasonc's stuff and it's definitely impressive but probably more than I want to spend for the sake of one instrument. (I guess I could just get my bass back from Florida)

    About multiple string patches..... I understand that I can load multiple patches to the same track but when you say multiple patches are you referring to more than one instance of a specific section (eg. 1st violins KS) or do you mean to load different string sections like violas into the same track as the violins? I usually just use the general strings patch to thicken.

    Hey, thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that I get every time I hang out on these forums. That's what I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving. That and the turkeys and pigs that gave their lives so that I could binge today.

  10. #10

    Re: Question about other libraries (I hope I don't offend anyone)

    Gotcha. Come to think of it I've never messed with "Lush strings" only "full strings" and even then I didn't map it to the same track in Aria. I have layered in solo strings before and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. (Violin 1 player 3 and Violin 3 player 1 are my favorites)

    I still use Sonar 6 studio. It came with the TTS1 but not dimension or studio instruments. I was thinking about upgrading to X1 but I really want to burn a whole in my pocket on virtual instruments. There's no end....

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •