• Register
  • Help

Topic: No More Box.Net

Share/Bookmark

No More Box.Net

I just discovered that Box.net is no more, but is replaced by Box.com. For the present, all url's referring to Box.net are being re-directed. But I don't know for how long. This could present a very unpleasant situation for me, as I have links to it over a few years, and these old links are still used. It will be a pill if I have to manually change all of them. Actually, it would be impossible! Similar problem occurred earlier, when Sibelius closed down the score site.

Richard

Re: No More Box.Net

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    I just discovered that Box.net is no more, but is replaced by Box.com. For the present, all url's referring to Box.net are being re-directed. But I don't know for how long. This could present a very unpleasant situation for me, as I have links to it over a few years, and these old links are still used. It will be a pill if I have to manually change all of them. Actually, it would be impossible! Similar problem occurred earlier, when Sibelius closed down the score site.
    Hi Richard,

I don't think that Box will be doing that. Strategically, it makes the most sense for them to retain the .net for an extra $10/year even now that they acquired the .com. New links might default to the .com and use a different url structure, but it will probably have a 'legacy mode' for older .net links. Too many things around the web rely on them. If you're really concerned, perhaps email their support for clarification?

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post

Richard
    Hi, Richard - ALL IS WELL!

Here's the official info about previous Box.net links:

"...All links that currently point to Box.net, including shared and direct links, will automatically redirect to Box.com – forever..."

Here's the entire page of "Transition FAQs" at Box, posted Nov. 3.

BOX INFO

Everything is fine - Nothing will happen with the links we've posted over the years here at the Forum.

Randy

Well, that is good news. I missed that, or probably it was not on their announcement, as I noticed some others had asked about it. I thought that a pointing domain would be really cheap, and would make sense for them to maintain it.

However, I immediately changed my bookmark and email address.

Richard

Go Back to forum