• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A rah-rah let's go, Forum pep-talk!

Share/Bookmark

A rah-rah let's go, Forum pep-talk!

Any of us who have been here at all during the last year are aware of how incredibly lethargic the Forum is compared to what it used to be.

And we also know that there are reasons to cite for the slow pace - Gary isn't able to attend often, and there are no new Libraries for us to discuss and help each other out with.

Well, as a Beta tester for Gary, but without wanting to be guilty of premature announcements - I want to say that there really and truly are some great things in development. It's all being developed at a slower than usual pace, so I have no idea when new projects will be released, but I can say with confidence that every member here is going to get excited with these new things when they're released. That's all I can really say.

MEANWHILE - There are some things we can do as Forum members which would help immeasurably towards making this place more Happening again:

--We can post our reactions to most anything that comes up here in General Discussion.
    --We can take a look at the technical Forums to see if there is info we can pass on.

--MAYBE MOST IMPORTANT - We can go more often to our Listening Room and take a listen to what our friends here are posting. Like all of the pages here at the Forum, fewer things are posted in the LR than there used to be, but that just makes the "job" even easier. Simply go take a listen - AND post a message to the composer.

It doesn't matter in the Least if the musical genre posted isn't what you usually like to hear - that's not the issue. The issue is that there are Forum members deciding to share music with us, and if you're an honest listener, there is Always something encouraging to say in response.

We can do a LOT better than what we're doing currently. 100 hits on a post in the LR garners on the average, 2 response posts. That's 98% of the listeners clicking, listening to at least some of the music posted, and then hastily moving on without bothering to comment. What is That all about?

Please go to the Listening Room, listen to some music from your fellow members, and post responses--at the very least let them know you had a listen, and you want to thank them for taking the time to post the music. It requires extremely little effort.

You don't like what you hear? Who cares?-- Encourage your Forum members, that's much more important than stubbornly announcing your preferences with your silence.

I'm preaching to the choir. Most of the consistently active members here are already active in the LR - But on the off-chance that I can encourage one of more passive non-involved members into participating in the LR, I was motivated to write this little sermon.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

Randy

Re: A rah-rah let's go, Forum pep-talk!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    We can do a LOT better than what we're doing currently. 100 hits on a post in the LR garners on the average, 2 response posts. That's 98% of the listeners clicking, listening to at least some of the music posted, and then hastily moving on without bothering to comment. What is That all about?
    There are many times where it is just difficult to say anything. Far too many people won't accept any sort of negative comment, even one couched in the most delicate and diplomatic terms.

You don't like what you hear? Who cares?-- Encourage your Forum members, that's much more important than stubbornly announcing your preferences with your silence.
    And here, I have an ethical dilemma. I cannot in all honesty make a positive comment if I do not believe it. There is no point in simply making some vague "encouraging comment" with no real meaning. No one advances, learns or grows from that sort of "encouragement".

This forum has NEVER been one that accepts "critiques" of music. It has always been frowned upon and looked at as either "mean" or "snobbish". I have even received private emails from members insulting me and using foul language after I commented on their work. I've never told anyone "your music is crap". I'm a teacher. I know how to go about making those "corrective" comments, generally. But if I cannot even make that type of comment - and not having a score in front of me makes it that much more difficult - then there is very little point in commenting.

Hello, Michel, and everyone-

We certainly all have our individual philosophies about the way we want to participate at the Forum. Last night I felt inspired to encourage people to participate more, and I expressed a bit about how the way I like to join in. In my enthusiasm, I didn't mean to say there's only one way of joining in here.

The main point is that we can enliven the Forum again by replying more often to each other,
    and doing that in whatever way we're comfortable with. So yes indeed, give critiques if
    that's what we like to do, offer technical assistance, give rounds of applause etc.

Some of us think of the Forum as a more casual place than others do, and feel there's usually a point in responding/commenting. We enjoy giving each other encouragement, but there's certainly no Officially Correct way to respond. I'm just wanting to encourage people to participate more in whatever way they're comfortable with.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Michel.

Randy

Pep-talk? Why? With all newly released libraries the Garritan sounds are somewhat outdated and very limited. People moved to other libs and put theirs compositions on those "other" forums. Besides that, most of the time I just "kill" the playback after a few seconds. Very sloppy rendering, at lowest quality MP3, with a lot of distortion as if the dynamics were up to the max. You know that "make it louder syndrom of this century". Very few entries in the LR really attract my attention, some are really outstanding, and sometimes the effort is worth mentioning and worth being praised. And I HATE cinematic renderings, with reverbs from California to Tokyo.

As Michel already wrote, - this is NOT at Garritan only - any negative comment often has a lot of hostile answers. But everything has some other side. And also not exclusive to Garritan are the numerous downloads from my Box.net without any comment like "Hey, I just downloaded some of your pieces, may I first listen to them before commenting?"

As you wrote in another thread, I am waiting for Garritan's rebirth, counting my dimes in patience, keeping track of my credits ....... even EWQLSO plat+ which I use now, doesn't have a change. I started with Garritan and will die with Garritan...... and forgive me the diversion.

Garritan is not alone in this. EWQL had to withdraw the instrument updates because of some technical issues. Altiverb is loosing customers because they started too late with the new release, Altiverb 7 for 64 bits machines. Finale updated the latest version and forgot to re-instate some very important sub-processes - they just deleted those and left the customers/users of 2011 in dispair. Sibelius.... Overture.... Vienna.... Synthology.... Notion-3....

The autumn dip or just lack of money to invest in really outstanding, world shaking products?

Raymond

I've said this before but I really miss the Friday and Sunday chat. I know that there was, for a time a different chat, but there was never anybody there when I tried it. I get to see whats happening via twitter but thats all.

When I've put music on the LR hardly anyone listens to it, and nobody comments at all. Then again how do you comment? If you say "Too much reverb ", is that constructive or rude. If you are going to comment, its pretty useless to say "Hmm Nice". However if you have no really useful comment to make it may be better to keep quiet. An empty vessel makes most noise.

I often look here but wonder if the day of the forum is over. Some things just end and others take over, we all use twitter and facebook these days, though they quite passe now it seems. By the time I get there it's old hat anyway.

(I have to admit that I find some of the music here awful, no names no packdrill) but some stuff I wrote in the past is just as bad.

Maybe Randy can keep at it and rouse the troops to get started again. Best of luck.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi, Raymond

I didn't realize my thread would be controversial, but from how unhappy you and Michel are,
    I can see it is. Even though the responses were unexpected, at least you've both had the chance to talk about what's on your mind--So I appreciate both of you for replying.

As I said, everybody has their own idea of what it means to be a member here, and we're each acting accordingly. I enjoy hearing people's music when I have a chance to take a listen, and enjoy passing on responses which are supportive. If there are technical things I feel could be helpful I pass those on.

For me, the Forum is about much more than the Garritan Libraries - it's about musicians and
    composers working in their home studios. They may want to share their creations, they can
    be in need of some technical info, and they may or may not be looking for critical feedback
    on what they post.

I feel the basic reason to congregate here online is for fellowship, and for me, that's not
    dependent on how recently new software has been released by the Garritan company.

We're all probably doing what we can. But maybe some folks can be encouraged to post more often, and that's solely what motivated this thread.

Buckshead
    --Thanks for your input. Glad to see you here.

Randy

I feel the basic reason to congregate here online is for fellowship, and for me, that's not dependent on how recently new software has been released by the Garritan company.
    I heartily agree with you there Randy. It should be about contact. Perhaps we can start something more controversial to put a spark back into the forum.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I lurk here and chime in from time to time when someone is looking for some help on an issue that I can help with. I wouldn't have found out about the annual Christmas Community project unless I came here, so, in that sense, this forum is great for that kind of thing.

Since Garritan's software consists mostly of the orchestral variety, there aren't many that can actually compose on that level (or even know what to do with software like Personal Orchestra), hence why there isn't too much activity here versus, say, a DAW title's forum.

Even despite the so-called limitations some might find in software like Garritan's, you have to admit: We've come a long way, baby. I remember cutting my teeth on Cakewalk for DOS. I now think, How did I ever do that, compared to what I have now? lol

Hi, Raymond

I didn't realize my thread would be controversial, but from how unhappy you and Michel are,
    I can see it is.

Randy
    You misunderstood me, your message wasn't controversial. It was the truth. About the music in the LR, just some explanation. I am a non-playing member of the local orchestra and am allowed to attend the rehearsals. This is very entertaining and gives me insight of the ins- and outs of a performance. The latest rehearsal of Liszt's 2nd pianoconcerto made me admire the pianist and the orchestra. The next sunday the real thing was there and suddenly it was all artificial, lack of real musicianship and expression.

This is also with the forum, we read and write because we are obliged to, being polite to each other, but there isn't a real drive from the heart. As if we loose real interest. Maybe this will change when we have something to discuss, e.g. a new library preferably one of the Garritan mall. We must wait until the baker puts some sweet topping on that delicious cake again. Really, we are now at the downside. Caused by all negative messages from everywhere in the world? Don't know. Lately I started studying music more seriously and it takes a lot of free hours to get it all to my "old" brains.

Raymond - listening to Schubert String Quartet "Der Tod und das Mädchen" D minor, D810.

Hi, Iacobus Rodelus - Thanks for the post! - You're talking about GPO, but you do realize that there are Garritan Libraries not aimed at orchestral/classical music? JABB - Jazz and Big Band --a self-descriptive title. CoMB - Concert and Marching Band - great brass, woods, percussion for all sorts of band music. World - Ethnic instruments from all over the world. - Garritan isn't just about orchestral music. Right now in the Listening Room there are examples of things that use these other Garritan Libraries - go take a listen if you haven't recently!

Raymond - The "controversial" part is that I don't feel it's an obligation to post, nor a strain to be civil to each other. Being friendly and supportive doesn't make me lose interest, it makes my interest grow.

And I don't think our involvement here has to depend on a new library - For me, "we must wait until the baker..." doesn't make sense. -- Forum history shows that a new library
    doesn't guarantee more participation. After "World" was released a year ago, there was
    barely any difference in the amount of traffic here.

There's no need to wait for anything - The heart of the Forum is still here - the active membership.

We're all doing what we think is right, and what we want to do. There are other folks here
    who enjoy the simple pleasure of camaraderie available at the Garritan Forums, with no
    strings attached, and that's great. Others have different needs, and that's fine. I'm just
    trying to encourage attitudes that could make the Forum more active, not dormant and
    on-hold until new software comes out. That's all.

Randy

Go Back to forum