• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omni Orb on iPad - amazing. Plus some thoughts on future development

Share/Bookmark

Omni Orb on iPad - amazing. Plus some thoughts on future development

I had a cursory play around with the orb when it first arrived and thought "Cool!" but never went back to it (there's plenty of other things to keep me busy in Omni).

But I just got an iPad and so downloaded Omni TR. I've been obsessed with the orb on iPad it ever since, this is such a powerful tool. I'm already planning to use it on my next recording session and hopefully live. The expressive possibilities are just great.

Two things have occurred since spending some time with it.

1) It would be great if the player could have some control over what parameters the orb controls. For example I have a sound and I'd just love to control the FM depth and rate with the orb - say left and right for rate and up and down for depth. But at the moment there's no way to choose. So that would be a future feature request - an orb zoom where you can choose what is controlled. Also it would be cool if you used the dice, to go into a zoom and see what was being controlled and tweak that.

2) Is there a way to wirelessly connect Omni TR to my macbook pro without needing to use the local WiFi hub/router? - I don't want to depend on there being a usable WiFi setup at a gig. Could I bring my own wireless hub to gigs I wonder... I don't see why not... or maybe there's a better way? Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Re: Omni Orb on iPad - amazing. Plus some thoughts on future development

Great to hear that you are digging it :-)

1) You wish is granted. :-)

Simply setup the Orb as a source in the Mod Matrix and you can use it to modulate anything in Omnisphere.

2) Your wish is granted. :-)

You can connect directly to your computer through an an hoc network.

Or

You can bring a wireless router to your gig....I have tried many and highly recommend the Airport Extreme from Apple. It has a really strong signal so that the connection is more reliable on stage.

Amazing! Thank you for pointing this out and the tip about Airport Extreme. Orb TR is a fantastic tool!

Eric the Fairy God Father

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Simply setup the Orb as a source in the Mod Matrix and you can use it to modulate anything in Omnisphere.
    I didn't realize that was possible! Thanks for thinking of everything guys! I'm definitely going to look into Orb modulation for parameters I choose myself . I found the randomness with which the Orb chose parameters to be a little too uncontrollable.

So if I set the Orb as a modulation source for a parameter, the Orb will stop affecting any parameters it was randomly assigned to change before?
    Mac Pro "Xeon" 2.8 gHz 8 core - Mac OS 10.5.8 - 6 gb RAM - Pro Tools HD 8.0cs3

Quote Originally Posted by Antiphones View Post
    Omni Orb on iPad - amazing. Plus some thoughts on future development
    Amazing is right....I hadn't been keeping up on things since version 1.0.4
    What a shock when I stopped by spectrasonics.net! I've even bought an iPad
    in the mean time and often contemplated the potential of it's touch screen. Obviously
    Eric has already thought of it. PS...thanks to Eric for the VIP patches...a pleasant surprise
    since I had aquired Trilian in the past year. I've got to stop by more often!

ipad development

Android is unlike any other mobile development platform or Java-based environment. Triple Bottom Line’s Android webinar will immerse students in the Android platform, leveraging their existing Java expertise, and allowing them to walk away from the class ready to build Android GUIs and related components.On the first class you will write your first Android Activities. Through the rest of the week you will be progressively introduced to more and more of what Android has to offer – services, multitouch, and system search services. You will apply this knowledge with working code every step of the way. Be ready to work hard and learn a lot in this intensive, hands-on, five day introduction to programming with the Android platform.

Cool Re: Omni Orb on iPad - amazing. Plus some thoughts on future development

I am a big fan of Spectrasonics and own about every product, you guys are simply the best:)

1. Working with the ORB, I already achieved recording the ORB movement into my DAW, but wouldn´t it be great to be able to record all your live actions into your DAW as well? I mean not only the ORB moves but the soloing, mixing, muting tracks etc...That way you could compose/improvise live having the benefit of a compleatlly recorded session that can be edited later on...

2. Stylus RMX is superb as it is but is lacking somehow a sound browser similar to OMNISPH
    Also in both of them the ability of import your own samples would be a great add.

3. The OMNISPH sequencer is fantastic, I only will add the ability to use your performance note imputs to manipulate he sequence results similar to what the new Albion "ostinatum" has witch I found very musical and interesting because it gives to the sequencer a musical quality. I would finally add to every internal sequencer outhere the "talk to the outside world" feature Kontakt offers in their Sampler...very usefull

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsmiguel View Post
    I am a big fan of Spectrasonics and own about every product, you guys are simply the best:)

1. Working with the ORB, I already achieved recording the ORB movement into my DAW, but wouldn´t it be great to be able to record all your live actions into your DAW as well? I mean not only the ORB moves but the soloing, mixing, muting tracks etc...That way you could compose/improvise live having the benefit of a compleatlly recorded session that can be edited later on...
    Your wish is granted. Simply enable automation for the parameters you want to record from the iPad.

Go Back to forum