• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Question about AO, Xsample and QL Brass

Share/Bookmark

Question about AO, Xsample and QL Brass

Hi People!
    Can anybody tell me if the trumpets in AO and Xsample are more suitable (ff to fff, edgy sound) for pop music than QL Brass? I own QL and think that the Trombones and Saxes are OK for pop, but the trumpets (all of them) are too soft, mellow playing for a piercing brass section (ala Earth, wind and fire) The demos from those libraries aren´t so convincent to me, so, please any suggestion or comment will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance to anyone
    Jose

Re: Question about AO, Xsample and QL Brass

Neither library has what you\'re looking for. The Xsample trumpet is not bright enough and I only use it for lower notes. The AO trumpet is better for orchestral type compositions. It does not have a FFF sound and is lacking in other articulations. Hope this helps.

Thanks Haydn
    So, Are we alone with this need??? Is there any workaround? It´s amazing that there are a lot of excellent orchestral brass libraries, but no one at least serviceable for pop.
    Hey sound developers, don´t you see that there is a market for this kind of material?
    Haven´t any of your customers complaint that their material (AO,Xsample, QL, etc.) don´t work in other style than classical? (at least the trumpets)
    Any one else want to talk? Any one have a reazonable solution?
    Thanks again and good luck to everyone!
    Jose

Hi Jose!

I\'m fully of your opinion. Jazz/Rock/Pop aren\'t very well covered. There seenm to be just film composers out there... have you tried Brass super section??? I don\'t own it yet but it might help you out for now. It is very very cheap (price). Download a demo from http://www.bestservice.de (click: instruments & then Brass Super Section). Let me know what you think...

------------------
    O.H.

Hi OH
    Forget Brass Super Section!! The sound isn´t so bad but any instrument cover only one octave and the stereo is very bad: any note is out of balance (in every instrument). I also have the Killer Brass Section but it is almost licks and the solo instruments sound ugly. The QL brass is the best in saxes and trombones but the trumpets are too soft.
    Good Luck OH and if you find something let me know!!
    Jose

Hey Haydn, tell me something: Have you the three libraries (AO, xsample, QL)? Are the AO and xsample solo trumpets a little more bright than QL?
    Thanks
    Jose

>Forget Brass Super Section!! Good Luck OH and if you find something let me know!!<

Thanks much for the warning, Jose. Money saved for something different!!!

Dan Dean recently mentioned that he might work on a more pop-orientated brass library in the future. Hope he will.

------------------
    O.H.

Quantum Leap has the brightest trumpet samples of the three (especially in terms of attack). I don\'t suppose you could figure out a way to use the QLB jazz trumpet for your needs by eliminating the softer layers of the instrument? Who knows, maybe even playing around with a high pass filter could help. I\'m not sure if it\'s still up, but a while ago when IOComposer was demonstrating his GigaBrass set, he put up a short comparison in the user demo section which did a side-by-side comparison of his trumpet and the AO solo F trumpet. You could at least hear the AO trumpet that way.

Hello Again!
    Thanks for your comments.
    Look OH, Mr Dean wrote to this forum saying that is an Orchestral library (Another one...) At least, a honest word.
    And astr4, thanks for your reply. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING to made those sampled trumpets usable. No, don´t work.
    Thanks Again, anybody else want to talk?
    Jose

Hey OH
    Well man, I was there for almost an hour and I only find the Jason Miles Horn Library samples and some from David Franke. Ugh! I know those libraries since 1995. Is only brass sections. Nah!
    Keep trying!

Go Back to forum