• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows ME, or ?

Share/Bookmark

Windows ME, or ?

Hi everyone.

Here\'s my sit.

Placed an order for an Hewlitt Packard, PIII,
    975 MHZ, 133 BUS SPEED, 256 MB of Ram ...blah, blah, blah.

It\'s OS is ME (Scary music creeps in)...
    The great folks at Nemesys say, Gigastudio 160 will run perfectly fine under ME.

I have the CD\'s for 98SE.

What would you do>?

Test me or trash it and load 98SE?

Thank you,
    Francis

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

Re: Windows ME, or ?

Check the HP website (www.hp.com) for drivers for Windows 98. Many of the new HP models only have drivers for Windows Me available. Most of these should work with 98 but not always. These computers come with recovery disks that usually do not have the drivers separate. You may need to order a CD from HP with the drivers but check the websites. There is a problem on HP\'s website for accessing drivers. It just hangs after you put in your machine name. This has been like this for months! Find your machine instead and try the links from there. You will have to play around with this to get to the drivers as it is not the same for all of the products. If all else fails, you may have to contact their tech support to get drivers.

I\'m not too crazy about the driver support that HP, Compaq and a few other companies offer. For example: Compaq only offers CD\'s with drivers (free) and they are not available for download from their website for home PC\'s.

Francis,

I have a new micron computer with ME on it and don\'t really have any problems with it, 160 voices/ no pops/ and things are going very well. About the only issue is that sometimes after I close Gigastudio 160 and try to shut down via the start menu I will get the blue screen of death and have to pull the plug and restart and then shut down again, if any one has a cure for this i would sure like to know what it is. Other than that i think it is very stable.

giga...

You don\'t have to pull the plug, just hold the button in \'till it goes off.

I don\'t know how to disable the scan disk after improper shutdown in ME... There\'s no longer an msdos.sys file.

Of course, none of this fixes the real problem

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 02-23-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Hi everyone.

Here\'s my sit.

The great folks at Nemesys say, Gigastudio 160 will run perfectly fine under ME.

What would you do>?

Thank you,
    Francis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to thank everyone for helping.
    I have to admit...I was just so into getting a new PC that I forgot to think, \"uh, what about giga...will it run?\"

Thanks everyone.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that If I was to use 98se, I would have to make a cd burn of all the ME/hardware drivers...ie,DVD drive, CRW etc.

Have you heard of any giga nightmares via using Windows ME?

Would you perfer 98SE or ME?

Thanks again

The main problem with ME is installing it. Since that’s already done, you should have no problem with GSt. Certainly worth a go.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:
    The main problem with ME is installing it. Since that’s already done, you should have no problem with GSt. Certainly worth a go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes my day. I guess it would make sense to install gstudio, cake 9, cool edit pro and all my directx plug ins...and then see if I run into any problems.

Thank you for your time

Last summer, I purchased a HP computer to use as a dedicated Giga Studio PC. This is the BIGGEST MISTAKE I ever made. Being a Macintosh person, I never realized just how junky consumer PCs are, such as CompUSA/Office Depot consumer HPs, Compaqs, etc. After three days, the mother board and modem failed in this HP. HP sent me new ones, but I elected to go to a quality computer parts store and purchase quality components.........new tower case, mother board, memory, hard drives, modem, video graphics card, and a CLEAN Window 98 SE operating system without all of the consumer garbage incorporated in with Windows OS which greatly interferes with system performance and causes many conflicts. Even if these junky consumer PCs would not fail and break down, the components used are very low quality with very low performance capabilities which make for many problems, conflicts, and operating speed and efficiency. The only original HP parts in my computer are the floppy drive, CD reader and CD writer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Hi everyone.

Here\'s my sit.

What would you do>?

Thank you,
    Francis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run GigaSampler SE under WinMe and have no problems. I don\'t see why W98SE should be better....

Go Back to forum