• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Hi, most of us will be fairly familiar with one or more orchestral library VST, but which gives the most realistic sound?
    Probably the complete VSL right! but that's about 1000000GB!
    What I'd like to know is what's the best library that's not too enormous, for general film scoring / orchestral / John Williams type music?

    PS. Has anyone used the new Symphobia 2 set? I loved the first one.

  2. #2
    Senior Member playz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    Posts
    535

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    There is no "best" and thus no definitive answer to that question. There are several excellent products on the market and each is useful depending on what one is composing and what results are expected. Some are useful for quick mockups, while others are better when one wishes to program individual instruments. Even the sound produced can influence which library is required by the composer. For example, LASS and Hollywood Strings are both excellent, but the type of composition often suggests which one should be selected. The more libraries you have, the more flexible you will become. If one is looking for a good place to start, right now I would suggest that EWQL Symphonic Orchestra provides the best sound and flexibility for someone who wishes to produce orchestral music, and it's also a real bagain as well. One can then, when funds become available, start to add other libraries and build on a solid foundation.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

  3. #3

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Hi Guy2011,

    A great product to start out with from VSL, is the Special Edition Standard Library. This gives you Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion at an affordable price. If you later on, decide you want more instruments, you can get the Special Edition Extended Library which offers different instruments than what is found in the Standard Library.

    For more info, go here: http://www.ilio.com/products/vienna-...pecialedition/

    Feel free to give us a call or email us if you have any questions!
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

  4. #4

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    thanks for both the suggestions, just what I was looking for. You're right, you can get the EastWest library basic for as low as $195! I'm looking for brass also so am leaning towards the VSL basic package right now.
    Guy

  5. #5

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    I have Some VSL and was not particularly blown away, too much money. I have EW, Garritan, Halion Symphonic and other stuff.
    IMO. The greatest breakthrough in recent technology is Cubase 6's expression maps and note expression. This gives you the ability to use one staff in your sequencer, change an articulation for any individual note (with ease) and the ability to apply a cc change to any note - individually (and you can map the cc via MIDI learn to any parameter).

    VST 3 is a very new techology, and will liekly be adopted by the big boys in the future. With Cubase 6 there is a trial version of Halion Symphonic SE which is available for £100.

    The technology described above works well with all packages and greatly enhances ease of use, but with those packages not VST3, there is some manual set up to figure out first.

    Once you have set up your orchestral template for your orchesrtra, tehn its simply a matter of entering notes, choosing your articulation, tweeking it and then its ready to go.
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

  6. #6

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Best?

    Strings - LASS, Cinematic String, EWQL Hollywood Strings
    Brass - Cinebrass/Cinebrass Pro, Hollywood Brass
    Woodwinds - VSL, Westgate (no experience), WIVI (no experience)

    Best value? - probably still EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold plus close mics add-on

    THings like Symphobia 1/2, Spitfire Albion, Cineorchestra, HollyWoodWinds, etc are quite useful, but not really an only solution due to being almost exclusively tutti/hit/FX oriented. Depending on what you do, you might get by with just that, but they are not replacements for a complete orchestral library.

    I have an older Kirk Hunter Diamond library also. While his stuff is often good value, it just never really did it for me. Certainly better than Garritan or the IK Miroslav stuff, but I would certainly recommend EWQLSO over it.

    EWQLSO Gold + Stormdrum 2 on the EW holiday "buy one get one free" sale plus the close mic add-on would give you a great starting point for not a lot of money.

    For solo strings, Spitfire Solo Strings (new) or LASS First Chair (inc with full LASS) are good choices.

    The VSL Woodwinds SE for about $100 is kind of a no-brainer right now. I expect EW Hollywood Winds, Cinesamples CineWinds & Audiobro LA Scoring Winds are all in the works or planned to be. Today, we are in a lot better shape strings and brass-wise than woodwinds.

    BTW, the strings in EWQLSO are the weakest area. Another EW sale combo would be EWQLSO + HS to augment the SO strings.

  7. #7

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Quote Originally Posted by khollister View Post
    Best?

    Strings - LASS, Cinematic String, EWQL Hollywood Strings
    Brass - Cinebrass/Cinebrass Pro, Hollywood Brass
    Woodwinds - VSL, Westgate (no experience), WIVI (no experience)

    Best value? - probably still EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold plus close mics add-on

    THings like Symphobia 1/2, Spitfire Albion, Cineorchestra, HollyWoodWinds, etc are quite useful, but not really an only solution due to being almost exclusively tutti/hit/FX oriented. Depending on what you do, you might get by with just that, but they are not replacements for a complete orchestral library.

    I have an older Kirk Hunter Diamond library also. While his stuff is often good value, it just never really did it for me. Certainly better than Garritan or the IK Miroslav stuff, but I would certainly recommend EWQLSO over it.

    EWQLSO Gold + Stormdrum 2 on the EW holiday "buy one get one free" sale plus the close mic add-on would give you a great starting point for not a lot of money.

    For solo strings, Spitfire Solo Strings (new) or LASS First Chair (inc with full LASS) are good choices.

    The VSL Woodwinds SE for about $100 is kind of a no-brainer right now. I expect EW Hollywood Winds, Cinesamples CineWinds & Audiobro LA Scoring Winds are all in the works or planned to be. Today, we are in a lot better shape strings and brass-wise than woodwinds.

    BTW, the strings in EWQLSO are the weakest area. Another EW sale combo would be EWQLSO + HS to augment the SO strings.
    khollister-

    What do you recommend for solo brass?

    I've been checking out all of the VSL stuff and it sounds good (better than what I've got), but all of the demos are very reverb heavy so it's hard to tell what will work for dry(er) mixes.


    thanks!

  8. #8

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Quote Originally Posted by dsilvercoin View Post
    khollister-

    What do you recommend for solo brass?

    I've been checking out all of the VSL stuff and it sounds good (better than what I've got), but all of the demos are very reverb heavy so it's hard to tell what will work for dry(er) mixes.


    thanks!
    I have recently purchased CineBrass & CineBrass Pro from Cinesamples - amazing brass, both ensemble and solo (Pro even has solo legato Tuba!). The VSL stuff has always struck me as a little sterile (and I'm not just talking about the dry recording). It is very clean, has tons of articulations, but just doesn't do it for me in tone or character. CB + CBP has a lot of rips, FX, chords & stuff too.

  9. #9

    Smile Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Thanks Khollister,

    I've been busy checking out the online demos the last few days and am very impressed by what is out there.

    One thing that I have noticed is that the demos for stuff like Hollywood strings/brass or cinesamples stuff sound very "hollywoodish" (reverie/ grand). Now while this works great for that sound, it isn't always useful for other types of music (particularly commercial/ TV writing). VSL's stuff by comparison seems to offer the ability to get close to the hollywood sound while allowing some greater flexibility for "non-hollywood" types of music. Though, perhaps you disagree.

    Is there anyway to get a more intimate sound from cinesamples or Hollywood brass/strings? The price of VSL's stuff (especially when considering something like the cube) is kinda nuts, and the HW strings/brass bundle has a very attractive holiday price right now.

    Thanks!

    dsilvercoin

  10. #10

    Re: BEST 'Full Feature' Orchestral VST - EastWest? VSL? Symphobia?

    Quote Originally Posted by dsilvercoin View Post
    Thanks Khollister,

    I've been busy checking out the online demos the last few days and am very impressed by what is out there.

    One thing that I have noticed is that the demos for stuff like Hollywood strings/brass or cinesamples stuff sound very "hollywoodish" (reverie/ grand). Now while this works great for that sound, it isn't always useful for other types of music (particularly commercial/ TV writing). VSL's stuff by comparison seems to offer the ability to get close to the hollywood sound while allowing some greater flexibility for "non-hollywood" types of music. Though, perhaps you disagree.

    Is there anyway to get a more intimate sound from cinesamples or Hollywood brass/strings? The price of VSL's stuff (especially when considering something like the cube) is kinda nuts, and the HW strings/brass bundle has a very attractive holiday price right now.

    Thanks!

    dsilvercoin
    EWQLSO is pretty wet. VSL, of course is completely dry. LASS is fairly dry as well, much closer to VSL than EWQLSO. I do not own HS/HB, but I understand they are quite a bit drier than SO, but still have some room sound. Cinebrass has a studio room sound that is quite evident, but the tail is not huge. Cinematic Strings was recorded in a concert hall, not a studio as I understand it, so it is wetter, although probably not quite as much as SO.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •