• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A whisper in the starlight (jazz)

Share/Bookmark

A whisper in the starlight (jazz)

This piece makes heavy use of JABB horns.
    Please take time to listen and I hope you enjoy it.
    Jay

http://www.jesse.us.com/a_whisper_in_the_starlight.mp3

Re: A whisper in the starlight (jazz)

Hey, it's Jaaaaaaay, with more smooooooooooooth jazz sounds - I was looking forward to hearing this, and wasn't disappointed.

Well, I think I'd have to say I find the drums/percussion too on-top for this style of jazz, preferring the more traditional back-seat a jazz drummer takes - But there's no denying the talent and musicianship on display here.

Good goin' Jay.

Randy

I always appreciate your input Randy. Thanks for the nice comments. I know that Jazz is not the most popular music genre on this site, but I can always count on you to give it listen. I do very much appreciate that.
    Thanks. Jay

Jay - enjoyed your piece - i do prefer the drums more upfront as long as they are spread and have some space or reverb around them and don't interfere with the other instruments too much. Which is what i think you have done here - not to mention that they sound pretty good - more like a real drummer. As for the intro guitar, there are some pretty good virtual guitars out there these days that sound less like playing a guitar on a piano. (many more guitar like options or keyswitches)

Well done!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Always room for a great bit of laid back jazz. Great piece. I can only echo the comments about the drums, they are too up front and present - stealing the limelight from the other instruments.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks for listening Del! I am glad that you liked my piece. I used hypersonic classical guitar on the intro. I tried to get a fairly real sound out of it by working on note accents, slurs and such.
    There is some software by "Ilyia Effimov" that sounds pretty good to me. I plan to research it more.

Plowking! I kind of like the percussion being a little prominent. It just seemed to fit the style of the song, to me. I certainly appreciate you input on this though. I am glad that you enjoyed my effort and thank you for listening and commenting.

-Jay

In response to the drum mix, we are all drummers at heart and we always get put at the back of the stage for some reason! AS for the guitar I have not heard of the version you have used. It generally takes some pretty clever programming to emulate a real guitar and few come close. Prominy Strat is pretty good depending on what instrument is being summoned. There are a few others as well that have come a long way. As it is one of the real instruments I actually can play i am extra fussy. Most of it is playing a piece like a guitar would play it. Most of the time we all (myself included) play other instruments like we play piano so it "tends" to sound like that.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hey Del! I am going to check out "Prominy" products and see what they have. I only have one guitar that I can play live with and it is a very inexpensive mexican telecaster. I have to use a lot of EQ just to get it sounding ok. I mostly use it on jazz, but have occasionally used it for a heavier sound.

I can understand being fussy about software generated guitar sounds. It apparently is a difficult instrument to emulate because of the techniques that can be applied. (hammer on/off, slides, glissando, strums, etc.)

Anyway, its good talking with you.
    Jay

Nice piece jaynkate01! I liked everything about it. I hope you post more of your music.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I am glad that you liked my music Steve. I do plan to post more.
    Thanks -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast