• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brass Overlays?(Finale 2011(Mac) with GPO 4)

Share/Bookmark

Brass Overlays?(Finale 2011(Mac) with GPO 4)

I'm been scanning Finale's interface for DAYS now and i can't find anything even remotely close to the "Overlay' options for brass that are advertised in the GPO4 package. For instance, when I look at my French Horn channels, all I see is "French Horn Solo, French Horn Player 1, French Horn Player 2," etc. No "overlay" options seem to be available for any of the brass instruments.

Any idea how to access them, or if they're even included with Finale 2011? Thanks in advance.

Re: Brass Overlays?(Finale 2011(Mac) with GPO 4)

the overlay samples are only available in the full version purchase of GPO, not with the free set that comes with Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    the overlay samples are only available in the full version purchase of GPO, not with the free set that comes with Finale.
    Alright thanks.

How hard would it be(besides the 149.99 price tag, haha) to install the sounds into Finale, assuming I downloaded the full version?

Quote Originally Posted by JamieV View Post
    Alright thanks.

How hard would it be(besides the 149.99 price tag, haha) to install the sounds into Finale, assuming I downloaded the full version?
    There are instrument files that expose most of this stuff to Finale. I use PrintMusic with GPO4 and JABB with no trouble.

I don't know if it's available as a download. I think it's on DVD, so you order them, then follow the installation instructions.
    it's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieV View Post
    Alright thanks.

Hi Jamie and Welcome to the Forum!

First, downloading the full version of GPO4 is not a problem, it just takes time because it's a huge file. Second, using the new sounds in Finale is easy, just like using the ones that came with Finale 2011. I do not use a Mac (someday), but it shouldn't be a problem. Keep asking questions if you run into any issues.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Yes, Jamie - GPO is definitely available as a download, and has been for some time. Integration into Finale and Sibelius is straight forward enough, as said in the other replies you've gotten.

A warning about using the Brass Overlays, once you have the full GPO - they aren't meant to be instruments in and by themselves. As their name indicates, they are an extra layer to add to already existing brass tracks, and not always at full volume. In sequencer software, that's easy enough to accomplish. I use Sonar, and bring the overlays in sparingly, only when I want an extra ringing Blat from the brass - how that's done in Finale, I do not know.

But I do know that I've heard some productions from GPO users who didn't understand that the overlays weren't instruments, and the results---well,---h-o-r-r-i-f-i-c comes to mine.

Randy

if you want to use them in finale, you must set them up on a staff on their own, or in a hidden layer.

hidden layer isn't recommended since you won't be able to apply hairpins and distinct dynamics to them if they are on the same staff as the regular brass.

When I've used the overlay brass I've simply setup extra staves at the bottom of my score, then hidden those brass overlay staves when it's time to print the score.

Hi Randy,

Do you mean that I need a normal channel of Horn and another for Horn ff overlay, and then scored the same for both so that they will sound in sync to achieve that overlay effect?

generally, no.

this is a recording using the brass overlays for horns, trumpets, trombones, and tuba.

the music is all written out for the basic brass instruments, but the overlays often come in later than the initial attack, and often end before the full -length.

Fanfare

for example on a long crescendo, the overlay may only come in halfway through the crescendo so that it is at its maximum effect at the very end, when it's loudest.

if I compare the regular brass staves and the overlay staves, there's FAR less material in the overlay staves. Sometimes only a few notes per page.

Go Back to forum