• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Portamento

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Portamento

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a sax tenor part together for a song but can't seem to get portamento to work (CC20). I figure I'm doing something wrong or missing something, any help would be much appreciated.

Re: JABB and Portamento

Quote Originally Posted by T. S. View Post
    Hi all,

I've been trying to get a sax tenor part together for a song but can't seem to get portamento to work (CC20). I figure I'm doing something wrong or missing something, any help would be much appreciated.
    If you are going to use the Portamento, you will need to tell JABB when to turn it on and off. The CC20 tells how much to use but not when. To make that work, you need to use CC64 and set it above the half way point (e.g. 120) to turn on the portamento which will then blend the notes (i.e. legato). Keep in mind you most likely do not want to have it turned on at the beginning of a phrase rather the send or third note into a legato piece (depending on effect you are after).

The Simple Sax Reference post I submitted shows how legato can be used along side of pitch bend to get the different effects.

Let me know if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    If you are going to use the Portamento, you will need to tell JABB when to turn it on and off. The CC20 tells how much to use but not when. To make that work, you need to use CC64 and set it above the half way point (e.g. 120) to turn on the portamento which will then blend the notes (i.e. legato). Keep in mind you most likely do not want to have it turned on at the beginning of a phrase rather the send or third note into a legato piece (depending on effect you are after).

The Simple Sax Reference post I submitted shows how legato can be used along side of pitch bend to get the different effects.

Let me know if that helps.
    Thanks jdsnyderii, I didn't realize CC64 was used as kind of a switch for this. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance, I'm sure that will take care of it and I'll let you know.

Just letting you know that portamento is working fine now, now that I know how it works.

Thanks again jdsnyderii and incidently, I DLed your little Sax Reference mp3 and midi files. It sounds very nice. I was able to get it all set up in Reaper without any problems.

Go Back to forum