• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help please GPO, Sibelius and virtual keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Help please GPO, Sibelius and virtual keyboard

Hi,
    I hope I don't sound too stupid but I'd be grateful for some help. I've got GPO 4 and Sibelius First. The GPO instruments sound great and I've been using GPO as a plug-in to Sibelius, writing scores in Sibelius and using the GPO for the sounds. I also worked out how to get a midi file and open it in Aria player.
    My problem is any sort of "live" input. Apart from seeing what the instruments sound like I can't figure out the use of the virtual keyboard on the Aria player. If I hit the record to wav and play some notes I just get a wav file that on playback in media player has no sound. I can't use the Aria keyboard to play into Sibelius (I don't have a midi keyboard to plug into computer).
    If I want to make music other than by notating it first into Sibelius what do I need to do?
    Do I have to get more software like Cubase to play into? (I know Sibelius has it's on screen keyboard/live play but I can't get that to work either)
    I consider myself very computer-literate but when it comes to understanding Aria I am finding it difficult.
    Thank you for any suggestions

Re: Help please GPO, Sibelius and virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne1980 View Post
    Hi,
    I hope I don't sound too stupid but I'd be grateful for some help. I've got GPO 4 and Sibelius First. The GPO instruments sound great and I've been using GPO as a plug-in to Sibelius, writing scores in Sibelius and using the GPO for the sounds. I also worked out how to get a midi file and open it in Aria player.
    My problem is any sort of "live" input. Apart from seeing what the instruments sound like I can't figure out the use of the virtual keyboard on the Aria player. If I hit the record to wav and play some notes I just get a wav file that on playback in media player has no sound. I can't use the Aria keyboard to play into Sibelius (I don't have a midi keyboard to plug into computer).
    If I want to make music other than by notating it first into Sibelius what do I need to do?
    Do I have to get more software like Cubase to play into? (I know Sibelius has it's on screen keyboard/live play but I can't get that to work either)
    I consider myself very computer-literate but when it comes to understanding Aria I am finding it difficult.
    Thank you for any suggestions
    Hi, Lynne

The short answer is that for live input, you need a MIDI keyboard.

Aria is the host for GPO, and when used either as a stand alone application, or as a plug-in, one needs to either enter notation, or data in a sequencer, or play the instruments through a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI controller.

When you said, "...Apart from seeing what the instruments sound like I can't figure out the use of the virtual keyboard on the Aria player..." That's the virtual keyboards exact and only use - to audition sounds. Its moves aren't recorded either in Sibelius or by the Aria MIDI recorder.

You can get keyboards for very low prices - I got a basic, good MIDI keyboard through eBay for $50, and used it very several years. Some simple keyboards can be under $200 new.

Best of luck with everything.

Randy

Go Back to forum