• Register
  • Help

Topic: Summertime

Share/Bookmark

Summertime

Hello again;
    Well, I think I can confirm this Forum is a fair bit slower than previous - oh well, life surely does go on!
    Here is my rendition of the George Gershwin classic from Porgy and Bess - Summertime.

You will note I used a real cross-section of my various libraries, however, prominent is the JABB2 Tenor Sax 1, the JABB2 acoustic guitar, the GPO4 Cello Solo 2, and various others in lesser roles. If you wonder where the opening sounds come from, it was from the free Klanghouse sound that was advertised in the upper right of the screen on this Forum, so I tried it, liked it and used it. Another significant player opens each verse and is the ENGINE2 player with one of the free voices that came with it, also advertised above at one point, earlier in the year - hey, those adds work!!
    Anyway, here's hoping none of the Gershwin clan will be spinning in their graves!! (or you - ha! ha!)

Summertime

and besides, summers almost gone and winters comin' on!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Summertime

wow--that's the most atmospheric, almost eerie version of "Summertime" I've ever heard. You sure made excellent use of quite a broad palette of sounds. Applause to you.

I do feel the recording would be even more effective if the drums were pulled back. They're extremely prominent, ala pop/rock, in proportion to the rest of your players and sound effects.

Thanks for a really intriguing post.

Randy

This reminds me of something that would come out of a movie like 5th Element or something of that genre. Neat sound mix.

Very creative use of the palette here.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    wow--that's the most atmospheric, almost eerie version of "Summertime" I've ever heard. You sure made excellent use of quite a broad palette of sounds. Applause to you.

I do feel the recording would be even more effective if the drums were pulled back. They're extremely prominent, ala pop/rock, in proportion to the rest of your players and sound effects.

Thanks for a really intriguing post.

Randy
    Thank you very much Randy! I think I thought quite a bit about the level of the drums when I did this back in July. Their volume actually changes thru the piece, reaching a peak of sorts as it gets to the turnaround each time, makes me think of "bump and grind", to be honest, and that seemed to add to the colour of the piece, so I left it that way. This song was a key player, in the mood of my early years and I had a record of Porgy and Bess my Mom bought for me (so nice!).

Thank you again for listening and commenting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    This reminds me of something that would come out of a movie like 5th Element or something of that genre. Neat sound mix.

Very creative use of the palette here.
    Thank you very much, indeed! I am not familiar with the 5th Element, but I'll take your word for it! Thank you for your kind remarks and I appreciate you taking the time to listen and to comment!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very nice recording!

I know this piece only a little bit, have a piano excerpt which I once tried to learn how to play properly (before I delegated that job to a computer )

Great choices of instruments and arrangement. Very unusual, which makes it all the more interesting. It's also interesting that I hear very Danny Elfman like sections in there, purely due the choir and how it's arranged. Which is to say, wonderfully.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Very nice recording!

I know this piece only a little bit, have a piano excerpt which I once tried to learn how to play properly (before I delegated that job to a computer )
    Hello Reinhold and Thank You!
    This recording is at least the tenth time I have taken a run at Summertime. Each time, it was way different than the previous version(s) and so, after exploring a number of other possibilities over the years, I arrived at this particular interpretation. I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment, as I am doing now, as I listen to more of your incredible Mahler project!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Great choices of instruments and arrangement. Very unusual, which makes it all the more interesting. It's also interesting that I hear very Danny Elfman like sections in there, purely due the choir and how it's arranged. Which is to say, wonderfully.
    Thank you for listening and commenting!
    I don't know of another version, wherein the thing is brought to such a head at the end of the verse. I also enjoy mixing libraries and feel it can lead to surprising results in timbre. Other times, I feel committed to working within the discipline of just one library, and at that, the GPO4 is always the strongest contender; whatever may be lacking in other qualities, is more than equally balanced by GPO's ability to cover all the bases, and to do so in a very respectable manner.
    I wasn't thinking of Elfman at all, but I will say, the first time I heard his stuff in a Batman movie, it blew me right out of my socks 'n shoes! It was the marimbas or xylophones or something, but it really sounded fresh and exciting.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum