• Register
  • Help

Topic: "In Autumn" op 15 - Amy Beach - orchestrated and produced by sd cisco

Share/Bookmark

"In Autumn" op 15 - Amy Beach - orchestrated and produced by sd cisco

Hello there;

Here is a video of scenes around Goderich, Ontario (Canada), made from photos taken last month.
    I found some piano work by American composer, Amy Beach which was in midi format and lent itself well to this arrangement for a small orchestra of Winds and Strings. I used my regular "horizontal slicing" technique, to help identify and extract individual instrument parts. I do this in Cubase, by first making multiple copies of the midi part, and then using each as a source of material for each range of pitches. This piece will always remind me of Summer and Summer Holidays, due in part to it's happy and sunny nature, (mostly).
    I'll get a link up to an mp3 of a render of the piece on piano shortly, if anyone wants to compare.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

PS - here is link to piano version: Amy Beach - In Autumn - Piano.mp3

Re: "In Autumn" op 15 - Amy Beach - orchestrated and produced by sd cisco

Sd!---I posted a reply on my laptop, but apparently I lost internet connection while trying to post it. I've now pried my wife's laptop away from her long enough to re-post---SO frustrated that my main computer is out of the home while my computer guy attempts to get it up and working again:

What I said in the missing post is that I thoroughly enjoyed this--Really lovely piece you found by Amy Beach, and your orchestration is equally lovely, as are those very nice photos!

I listened here on a sunny summer afternoon in Oregon, and your post has made it all the more sunny.

I also commented on how I like your phrase "horizontal slicing"--That very well describes the process of basing an arrangement on a piano piece. That's what I'm often doing with my own work, starting with piano, then "horizontally slicing" it to start on my orchestral arrangement.

Here's something I may not have been hearing accurately - The oboe (English horn?) seemed to be popping in and out?--like maybe it kept jumping the fence at a demarcation line you set for it? Maybe more detail on what your personal approach to horizontal slicing is like would shed light--And it's possible I just wasn't hearing well, especially since I was having to listen on my laptop's built in speakers.

Thanks for beautiful post.

Randy

Sd sisco,

This is a charming piece!

I am familiar with a few piano works by Amy Beach, but not with this one.

I like the way you orchestrated it, colorfully, like an impressionistic painting.
    I also have started orchestrating a piano piece and I know
    it’s not an easy thing to accomplish.
    I found out that you need sometimes to change slightly the original score
    in order to get it working for other instruments.

The music itself is joyful with a mixture of other emotions.
    Towards the end I heard a great similarity to some other composer’s work,
    but I couldn’t recall who…

You took some lovely views from around there which go really well with the music.

Looking forward to your next project,

~ Yudit ~

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Sd!---I posted a reply on my laptop, but apparently I lost internet connection while trying to post it. I've now pried my wife's laptop away from her long enough to re-post---SO frustrated that my main computer is out of the home while my computer guy attempts to get it up and working again:

What I said in the missing post is that I thoroughly enjoyed this--Really lovely piece you found by Amy Beach, and your orchestration is equally lovely, as are those very nice photos!

I listened here on a sunny summer afternoon in Oregon, and your post has made it all the more sunny.

I also commented on how I like your phrase "horizontal slicing"--That very well describes the process of basing an arrangement on a piano piece. That's what I'm often doing with my own work, starting with piano, then "horizontally slicing" it to start on my orchestral arrangement.

Here's something I may not have been hearing accurately - The oboe (English horn?) seemed to be popping in and out?--like maybe it kept jumping the fence at a demarcation line you set for it? Maybe more detail on what your personal approach to horizontal slicing is like would shed light--And it's possible I just wasn't hearing well, especially since I was having to listen on my laptop's built in speakers.

Thanks for beautiful post.

Randy
    Hi Randy!
    Thanks for listening and commenting! It is indeed a lovely and light-hearted piece. I have now posted a link to box.net with just the piano version. I am not 100% sure that my process for extracting melody and instruments lines actually serves the original, tightly clustered notes of the piano well, by making the piece sound light and airy, instead of darkish and decidedly determined. I think I may know what you are referring to, with the English Horn and the Flute parts. When this occurs in the music, I tried to bring out the EH, because that gave the passage a sort of Tchaikovsky-like feel to the orchestration, at that point it sounds a bit louder, as I mixed it that way, to deliberately bringing it out. Again, listen to the piano version and see if you can recognize the passage, compared to the orchestrated.
    Anyway, I'm glad I worked on this music and became familiar with Amy Beach. She was a late Romantic with certain syncopation, at least in this piano work, which tells me she liked Ragtime, and why not, she was American this piece was published around 1892.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Sd sisco,

This is a charming piece!

I am familiar with a few piano works by Amy Beach, but not with this one.

I like the way you orchestrated it, colorfully, like an impressionistic painting.
    I also have started orchestrating a piano piece and I know
    it’s not an easy thing to accomplish.
    I found out that you need sometimes to change slightly the original score
    in order to get it working for other instruments.

The music itself is joyful with a mixture of other emotions.
    Towards the end I heard a great similarity to some other composer’s work,
    but I couldn’t recall who…

You took some lovely views from around there which go really well with the music.

Looking forward to your next project,

~ Yudit ~
    Hi Yudit and thank you ever so much!

I thought you might appreciate this music and am grateful for your comments! I have posted a link to the straight piano version of the music, I hope you can listen to it, to compare with the orchestration. I must take the time to get more familiar with the music of Amy Beach; I listened to parts of a piano concerto and it sounded heavy, leaden and filled with dark, Romantic storm clouds. Not so with "In Autumn", a parlor room charmer, if ever there was one! I too look forward to your next work and wish you good luck with it!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum