• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Beaches of Normandy" concert band arrangement

Share/Bookmark

"The Beaches of Normandy" concert band arrangement

I would appreciate any suggestions on this arrangement for concert band.
    It is a transcription from a full orchestra arrangement of "The Beaches of Normandy," a tribute to D-Day:
    1. Ships Bombard the Shore
    2. Taking the Beach
    3. Tribute to the Fallen
    4. On to the Liberation of Europe

I have limited experience with concert band instruments.
    I removed all strings and added saxes and euphonium.
    Does this look an appropriate arrangement for concert band?
    Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

The MP3 and PDF score are at:
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/df5OGQsN/...l#dir=58323993

Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" concert band arrangement

Hi, Jeff - Concert band arrangements are too rare in The Listening Room. So thanks for posting this one.

Hey - I cannot advise on your question about whether or not the arrangement is appropriate. It sounds really good to me, and from what I could see of the tiny PDF display, it looks like you've used a reasonable number of instruments.

I do hope some people with experience in this field notice your post and respond.

Allow me what I think is a rather urgent note about your MP3. There's distortion almost non-stop throughout the recording, only abating during the few quieter moments. You've driven things up into the red - and digital audio doesn't fare well when that happens.

I think you're using a notation program?--- In its mixer, you need to bring things down and give the output a critical listen on your speakers.

If you're using a recording program, it's easier - Just watch the faders for your interface in your mixer. If they peak at all into the red, you need to adjust. To maintain a good strong signal, it's best to automate the output on your buses if you're using them, so you can momentarily dip down on the peaks - Or use a compressor at a gentle setting.

All I know is that this has distortion throughout, and people are likely to quickly stop the playback, since digital distortion is so painful to listen to.

BUT through the distortion, I heard what sounded like a nifty arrangement - I just want you to be able to present your work in its best light.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gardner View Post
    I have limited experience with concert band instruments.
    I removed all strings and added saxes and euphonium.
    Does this look an appropriate arrangement for concert band?
    Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
    Hi Jeff,

Your instrumentation fits a larger sized concert band. If you've written this only for virtual instruments, then it's fine as it is. If you've written this for a live ensemble, you need to make sure of their specific instrumentation. Not all bands have 2 oboes or 2 bassoons. Even the 4 separate horn parts are usually only used for very large bands.

The standard instrumentation for a high school band that I deal with is:
    2 Flutes, Oboe, Bassoon, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Alto Sax 1 & 2, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trumpets, 1st & 2nd Horns, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, Percussion.

Others may have a different experience.

Hope this helps a little,
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Jeff - Concert band arrangements are too rare in The Listening Room. So thanks for posting this one.
    ...this has distortion throughout, and people are likely to quickly stop the playback, since digital distortion is so painful to listen to.
    Thanks, Randy.
    I replayed it, and you are right.
    I will look into your suggestions.
    Thanks a lot!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    The standard instrumentation for a high school band that I deal with is:
    2 Flutes, Oboe, Bassoon, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Alto Sax 1 & 2, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trumpets, 1st & 2nd Horns, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, Percussion.
    JT
    Thanks, Jeff.
    This is very helpful information.
    Although I am aiming for a community band, this might be a good template.
    I would also be happy to have a high school band perform it.
    Jeff

Go Back to forum