• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Smile Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Here is the final (3rd) movement to my Piano Concerto 2. I hope that you have enjoyed the 1st movement (now on page 2) and the 2nd movement (now on page 3). I trust you will find this music both joyful and exuberant !

    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9496319

    To hear more of my music, please visit -

    www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

    Thanks and enjoy ! Antony

  2. #2

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Hi, Antony - I've been looking forward to hearing more of your Concerto, ever since discovering the first two movements last week.

    AAah, there it is, the 3rd movement - I just got through listening and I have a sense of feeling refresed which is what happens sometimes when I listen to enjoyable music.

    There's a quality in this piece which I think is genuinely unique. Your own, personal relationship to music comes through in a strikingly individual way, and that's a quality all good music should have. Passages that feel modern, chromatic, followed by sweeping, romantic passages that echo the 19th century - what a great contrast there is in that.

    AND, since use of reverb was a big topic on your previous threads, I want to add that I hear a vast improvement in this recording. Now that sounds much more like being in a concert hall, much more natural.

    Here's something about the rendering which I think could use some investigation - The strings are often not legato when it seems like they could be. The main theme stated by the strings at 1:40 and at 3:40, for instance - It sounds like you purposely orchestrated this in a detache fashion, with each note separated, even though notes are being held for a measure. I would like to hear what those passages sound like with the melody line in the high strings being played legato - I think it could be more effective.

    You're working in notation, and it's a mystery to me how people manage to get good sounding recordings from a notation program - When I use Sibelius, I'm there to manufacture some notation, but I can only grin and hardly bear what the music sounds like - drives me mad!--but I'm not interested in knuckling down and making a notation playback sound presentable - I produce my music in Sonar. SO I admire that you're able to get the sound you do from Finale.

    - In a recording program like Sonar, it's fairly easy to get a nice legato sound by overlapping the notes slightly, editing individual note velocities, and using the special Garrian use of CC64. -- How a nice legato is produced in Finale I have no idea - Maybe you meant for those passages to be legato?--I just can't be sure.

    But the main thing is the entertaining and very interesting music you've composed. Thanks for it, Antony!

    Randy B.

  3. #3

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

  4. #4

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Another great movement Anthony, and big leaps in the sound quality too. As usual the piano work is just superb. I love the change of mood at 2:30.
    Website:
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

  5. #5

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Antony - I've been looking forward to hearing more of your Concerto, ever since discovering the first two movements last week.

    AAah, there it is, the 3rd movement - I just got through listening and I have a sense of feeling refresed which is what happens sometimes when I listen to enjoyable music.

    There's a quality in this piece which I think is genuinely unique. Your own, personal relationship to music comes through in a strikingly individual way, and that's a quality all good music should have. Passages that feel modern, chromatic, followed by sweeping, romantic passages that echo the 19th century - what a great contrast there is in that.

    AND, since use of reverb was a big topic on your previous threads, I want to add that I hear a vast improvement in this recording. Now that sounds much more like being in a concert hall, much more natural.

    Here's something about the rendering which I think could use some investigation - The strings are often not legato when it seems like they could be. The main theme stated by the strings at 1:40 and at 3:40, for instance - It sounds like you purposely orchestrated this in a detache fashion, with each note separated, even though notes are being held for a measure. I would like to hear what those passages sound like with the melody line in the high strings being played legato - I think it could be more effective.

    You're working in notation, and it's a mystery to me how people manage to get good sounding recordings from a notation program - When I use Sibelius, I'm there to manufacture some notation, but I can only grin and hardly bear what the music sounds like - drives me mad!--but I'm not interested in knuckling down and making a notation playback sound presentable - I produce my music in Sonar. SO I admire that you're able to get the sound you do from Finale.

    - In a recording program like Sonar, it's fairly easy to get a nice legato sound by overlapping the notes slightly, editing individual note velocities, and using the special Garrian use of CC64. -- How a nice legato is produced in Finale I have no idea - Maybe you meant for those passages to be legato?--I just can't be sure.

    But the main thing is the entertaining and very interesting music you've composed. Thanks for it, Antony!

    Randy B.
    Hi Randy
    Your comments are very much appreciated ! I am particularly pleased that you think my reverb has much improved and sounds more natural. I must, again, thank you for spending the time and effort in putting me on the right path !

    I have read, with care, your comments on "rendering" and will investigate ASAP

    Finally, I am so pleased to see the great response to your musical, TOM SAWYER, nearly 1000, as I write. VERY WELL DESERVED. Best wishes, Antony

  6. #6

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Antony,

    The thing I like best about your work is the skilled craftsmanship of weaving different moods together - the beautiful cohesion of dissonant and consonant... IMO a very neo-romantic work.

    Wonderful!

    M
    Hi Michael

    Its always good to hear from you and I am very pleased that you enjoyed the piece.

    As with most "Threaders" in the Listening Room, I put my heart and soul into my offerings, but am never sure of a good reception until comments, like yours, are received.

    Keep composing ( I see that TEN is getting excellent feedback ) and please keep listening ! All the best, Antony

  7. #7

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Another great movement Anthony, and big leaps in the sound quality too. As usual the piano work is just superb. I love the change of mood at 2:30.
    Hi Graham

    Thank you for your kind words and I am very pleased indeed that you liked the improvement in sound quality ! This state of affairs is in no little way the result of your hard efforts in getting me 'back on track' ! Thanks once again for the time spent on me.

    I trust you will hear your influence in my future offerings. All the best, Antony

  8. #8
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Hello Antony;
    Very interesting! I most enjoyed the louder passages with the orchestra more fully engaged. It is Romantic, and has a mysterious whimsy to it.

    Thank you for sharing this, Antony, I look forward to more!

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  9. #9

    Re: Piano Concerto 2. Third movement

    Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hello Antony;
    Very interesting! I most enjoyed the louder passages with the orchestra more fully engaged. It is Romantic, and has a mysterious whimsy to it.

    Thank you for sharing this, Antony, I look forward to more!

    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hello Sd
    Thank you for your kind comments, I am very pleased that you enjoyed the piece.

    More is on the way, all the best, Antony

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •