• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 ?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 ?

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to get a horn section into my next project.
    It's a little pop/soul -style.

I'm tempted to buy the Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3:
    http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...=144&Itemid=56

But, I have 2 concerns:
    #1 Is it to heavy for my Pent4 3Ghz, 1Gb Ram Pc?
    #2 The jazz/big-band demos sounds wonderful. But do you think it will work well for this pop/soul style I'm looking for?

and #3 Would it be better for my buying the Garritan Personal Orchestra (Giving me more for the money)?

Budget: Originally $100, but maybe I'll stretch it for something that's really usable.

Thanks!

Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 ?

You could certainly get the JABB3 to do the soul styles you are looking for because the ability to control the articulations are there.

I will say that it does require some skill to get the sounds to do what you want (as with any library). Also, I would not recommend GPO4 over JABB3 for this type of music as you really don't have the same level of controls in GPO4.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    You could certainly get the JABB3 to do the soul styles you are looking for because the ability to control the articulations are there.

I will say that it does require some skill to get the sounds to do what you want (as with any library). Also, I would not recommend GPO4 over JABB3 for this type of music as you really don't have the same level of controls in GPO4.

Just my $0.02.

Jim
    Thanks a lot!
    I find the demos on the Garritan-site very good-sounding, but some say the JABB3 is mediocre. Does it take a lot of skill and work to get it good sounding?
    I'm really not skilled on these instruments, or sampled instruments for that matter. So, will it be very hard for me to get something cd-ready out of it?

I would think, regardless of what Garritan Library you finally decide upon, that
    your experiences with sampled sounds would be more gratifying if you had at
    least 2 GB of RAM in your computer.

Wishing you happy times with your Garritan purchase.

Jack

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    Thanks a lot!
    I find the demos on the Garritan-site very good-sounding, but some say the JABB3 is mediocre. Does it take a lot of skill and work to get it good sounding?
    I'm really not skilled on these instruments, or sampled instruments for that matter. So, will it be very hard for me to get something cd-ready out of it?
    It will not sound CD ready all by itself. If you expect that, you will be disappointed.

You will need to read the manual and understand how the various midi controllers work to get the best results from them. Do you work in a sequencer or a notation program?

And as Rhap2 mentioned, 1 GB of RAM is not sufficient. RAM is cheap, get as much as your computer can handle.

Thanks!

I said to myself that I would not upgrade this computer anymore, but.. I guess you're right.. I'll maybe buy another 1Gb stick.

For the moment I work in Reaper, not the ideal DAW for midi-work, but it will do the job.
    I try doing as much as possible in real audio, but getting all these instruments real and learn to play them, doesn't seem so realistic at the moment

Yes, I'll read the manual and tweak the CCs. I'll need some JABB3-specific tutorials, develop an understanding of the instruments, and get a better idea of how I want it to sound.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    Thanks a lot!
    There are two ways to make it sound good. One is by entering the MIDI data into a DAW by what ever means make sense to you. You will have to spend the time to use the right EQ or compression or reverb to get a final sound you are happy with (regardless).

The other method is via something like an EWI ( I use the EWI USB). If you search the listening room for 'Tenor Trials', you can hear the Garritan Tenor Sax that was played live using the EWI USB. I find that I can do a lot with this. I also did a piece 'Maid with the Flaxen Hair' posted also in the listening room. For this piece, the Strings were done using a DAW and MIDI CCs controls....

Make no mistake MIDI Mockups are a skill, and this skill takes time to develop. If this is your first attempt, don't be frustrated or give up too quickly. This forum has a lot of history and you can learn about lots of things here.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    There are two ways to make it sound good. One is by entering the MIDI data into a DAW by what ever means make sense to you. You will have to spend the time to use the right EQ or compression or reverb to get a final sound you are happy with (regardless).

The other method is via something like an EWI ( I use the EWI USB). If you search the listening room for 'Tenor Trials', you can hear the Garritan Tenor Sax that was played live using the EWI USB. I find that I can do a lot with this. I also did a piece 'Maid with the Flaxen Hair' posted also in the listening room. For this piece, the Strings were done using a DAW and MIDI CCs controls....
    Thanks! Nice work with the "Maid with the Flaxen Hair"
    I don't think I'll travel the EWI-road yet, so it will be keyboard and tweaking I guess.

Make no mistake MIDI Mockups are a skill, and this skill takes time to develop. If this is your first attempt, don't be frustrated or give up too quickly. This forum has a lot of history and you can learn about lots of things here.
    Yes, I don't expect me to get really pro sounding results in an blink. I'll definitively have to learn a lot.

I still am using the orginal jazz & big band... Have the trumpets and saxophones become polyphonic over the years?? One of the reasons I didn't use it much was because each instrument was in mono mode... Has this changed??

Tradivoro, it works best to start a new thread with a new question rather than to piggy-back on someone else's thread. Your question will be better noticed, and the original thread's question(s) don't get blurred. That's for future reference.

But I've seen your question - No, the JABB instruments haven't become polyphonic. The whole concept of JABB is to provide groupings of instruments to build jazz ensembles. The instruments play like their real-life counterparts - monophonically. If we want several virtual musicians in a project playing the same instrument, then we load another instrument - not the exact same one, but another sample set of the same instrument. There are 4 Tenor Saxes in JABB, for instance. Just as it is in real life, each of those Saxes have a slightly different timbre to them, so blending them in a recording produces a natural sound.

The keyboardist trick of dialing up a generic "Sax" patch and then playing chords can't possibly produce results as natural sounding - and hence, the programming in JABB.

G-Sun, you've gotten lots of good info and feedback on your thread. I have to underscore the point that 1 gig of Ram just isn't enough anymore. You really need to add as much as your computer can handle. One basic work-around to help out with RAM limitation is to work on one track at a time, recording your MIDI work to audio, and then moving on to the next instrument. That approach would help a lot when there are severe RAM limitations.

You mentioned how you've seen some people saying JABB isn't so great - I've seen posts here and there from people saying things like that, and I'll tell you - generally those people are expecting to load up a sound, push down a key on their keyboard, and to have instant wonderfulness.

One reason they have that expectation is that there Are some sample libraries that have instantly gratifying sounds - but those samples aren't very flexible. Like you'll have a library with a beautiful sweeping up on a set of string samples - great, but then you're stuck with every note sweeping up, and of course that doesn't work.

To really road-test JABB, people need to have some idea what they're doing. CC1 (mod wheel) needs to be played along with a note, swooping up and down the way a real life musician does when playing his horn. AfterTouch must be used on sustained notes to add vibrato, and CC17 should also be part of the track, to vary the speed of the vibrato. Those are the basic controls for JABB - knowing just those few things are the most important things for you to know.

As has been said here, you just need to know that there will be a period of experimentation and getting to know the library before you'll get the kind of results you're wanting in your tracks - but that time will have been Very well spent. Best of luck with it all!

Randy

Go Back to forum