• Register
  • Help

Topic: Flies and Spiders - The Hobbit

Share/Bookmark

Flies and Spiders - The Hobbit

Hi all, this is part 4 of my Hobbit soundtrack - Flies and Spiders.

http://alonetone.com/gplowman/tracks...ers-the-hobbit

Bilbo and the dwarves enter Mirkwood forest. It's dark, dank, and very creepy. All around them are strange woodland sounds. Unnatural. They are eventually set upon by giant spiders and Bilbo is the only one who can save them...

This is the most atmospheric style piece I've done - full of brass bends and other effects.

Libraries used -

Project Sam
    GPO4
    EastWest Gold

Don't get too scared...

Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Flies and Spiders - The Hobbit

Goodness - The Tolkien pieces are coming fast and furious!--

Atmospheric indeed, Graham, but so brief. I was waiting for the dust to settle a bit, but then it was over! - Punchy and to the point then. Neat.

I know you're now wanting to transcribe all these to notation - How are you going to do that with so many layers of patches that are complex evolving events but that have no notes for notation except the triggering note for the patch? Like the long, climbing twisty orchestral patch which is so effective - You want that to be part of your notation?--I'm trying to picture how that's going to be accomplished--?!--You'll need to figure out by ear what all the notes are, or will it have to be an "ad-lib slow gliss" text note?

You've clearly had fun putting these together, and that energy comes through so nicely. I had fun hearing the new entry.

Randy

Re: Flies and Spiders - The Hobbit

Hi Randy, thanks for listening.

Certainly enjoying this 'Hobbit' project, and the results. They've all come in around the 3 min mark, which is shorter than most of my earlier pieces, but it's intentional as I wanted to keep them generally brief.

I have notation for all my other pieces, but not overally concerned about these being notated. But I think it'd be as you say, ad lib glissandos, and other effects if I was going to do it.

I'll be going back to the traditional scoring method soon with GPO and Finale, as I find that method opens far more creative possibilites with the easy transfer of ideas across staves and instruments. Less intuitive for composing in Ableton Live (which I'm using for the Hobbit) - but technically more robust when working with the libraries I'm using. A combination of both is in the works too, compose in Finale then port to Ableton for mastering.
    Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum