• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Brass: Style

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Brass: Style

To anybody who has heard or knows about Dan Dean Solo Brass (Memnon?).

What type of music does Dan Dean Solo Brass cover? For example Quantum Leap Brass covers orchestral and jazz/blues. I like the fact that QL included both styles of brass, but at least half of the solo trombone patches seem to lean toward jazz rather than orchestral writing. How about Dan Dean\'s.

Thanks.

Michael Noriega

Re: Dan Dean Solo Brass: Style

Hello,

I am doing the programming on this one also and as Mike said it is going to be great. It is strictly for orchestral use. The articulation set is the same as the solo woodwinds and the programming set that I am using is also very similar. Dan will be recording pop brass in the future but I\'m not sure when. I also know that he is planning \"ensemble\" sections at a latter date also.

Donnie

So, Donnie, you didn\'t flee from here afterall Now that you\'re here I have to ask what is happening to the Timpani Library?

Simon

As with many things time heals most wounds...

Anyway the timpani library should be shipping today the 15th. Check the Nemesys site.

Also the Marimba and vibes should be shipping by the end of the month.

The big project we are working on right now is our \"percussive effects library\". Needless to say this is going to be very extensive and it will have everything you could ever imagine.

Good to hear from you again Simon

I\'ve never seen a feature set as detailed as Donnie\'s work for the woodwinds and the upcoming brass. This is a new level of programming. Cheers to Donnie!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Hello,

It is strictly for orchestral use. The articulation set is the same as the solo woodwinds and the programming set that I am using is also very similar.
    Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donnie, thanks for the response. Could you give any information on the type of control mechinisms used to modulate the samples. The Dan Dean strings only use the key switching mechinisms to change articulations. Will the Brass (and Woodwinds) use velocity, mod wheel, and the pitch wheel?

A cool use of the pitch wheel for sample modulation is Kirk Hunter Strings. If the pitch wheel is pushed up a sweep of the string section is faded in. If the pitch wheel is pushed down a trill or tremolo sample is faded in. Very useful for real-time performances and recording. Thanks for any information you can give.

Michael

It\'s great to have you back Donnie.

Glad you\'re back Donnie - good luck with everything.

Hey Donnie!

Welcome Back! Great to hear from you. Any update on the drum library.

Ian

First of all a quick word of wisdom...if you have never had a kidney stone pray to the good lord you never get one. I just spent about 7 hours in the emergency room with the worst pain in my life.

Now on to the samples...

The Dan Dean stuff is going to be great. He is using the best equipment and even more importantly uses the best players. Speaking of the brass, if Mike W. says that they are incredible then I would believe him. After all he plays the real thing! That to me is a very good gauge of how real something is.

The woodwind samples are controlled via lots of different parameters. One of the coolest on is a fast attack preset using the modwheel. This allows you to (via the modwheel) change the amount of air on the begining of each note. It adds a nice \"too\" to the begining of the note. This to me, was the biggest thing missing from all other wind samples. It was a bit a of pain to program but the end result was quite nice I think.

I am critical of myself when it comes to programming but I think this library up the ante quite a bit. There are definately things in this one not in anything else.

Update on our (DS Soundware) libraries:

The timpani will be shipping either tom. or Monday. This is the word I got from Nemesys today.

The marimba and vibes will be shipping at the end of the month. The masters are in, they are just finishing up the artwork. This one really turned out good I think. The extra velocites really make super playable and the instruments are top notch.

The next big project that will be out in the \"percussive effects library\". This one will have everything you could ever want which is why it\'s going to take some time. We are making lots of trips to the junk yard on this one! Please make sure to let us know if you have any ideas for this one and we will make sure to get them in.

Donnie

Go Back to forum