• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2nd mve Piano Con 2

Share/Bookmark

Red face 2nd mve Piano Con 2

Following my "threading" of the first movement of my Piano Concerto 2 ( now on page 2), I hope you will like the second movement.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9487424. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME.

To hear more of my music, please go to -

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Enjoy, Antony

Re: 2nd mve Piano Con 2

Quote Originally Posted by Antony D I Barnard View Post
    Following my "threading" of the first movement of my Piano Concerto 2 ( now on page 2), I hope you will like the second movement.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9487424. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME.

To hear more of my music, please go to -

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Enjoy, Antony
    Hello Antony,

This is a well crafted and enjoyable inner movement for a piano concerto. I'm just catching up with your other postings from which I can see some good advice has been imparted and heeded regarding the rendering from samples. Serious compositions, such as this, push the boundaries as far as samples are concerned. It's partly because the writing gives the impression we're hearing the real thing - and that's a lot for samples to live up to, especially the string section! Overall, I think you've done a good job of this mock up - enough to convince me this is good material for a live performance.

Excellent and most enjoyable work.

Regards,

Graham

Hello, Antony - I've only this week started visiting The Listening Room after quite a long spell. I'm trying to work my way down the list of things to listen to, but of course I'll never catch up!

But I've come to your post, and see that the first movement was previously posted - So I looked that up, had a listen, read the responses, now I'm here on your newer thread, feeling a bit more caught up, at least with your Huge work presented here.

I admire what you've done so much. It's so complex, with many moods, and many passages are so captivating. This 2nd movement has such an interesting blend of peacefulness with unrest definitely underlying it all.

I'm very glad to have caught up with this -I just now had a great time following the explosion of musical ideas packed into this large work.

And I'm also wanting to weigh in on the recordings themselves. I see from the other thread that you made numerous re-dos, following the good, helpful feedback you got from others.

So I'm understanding that on the links you now have posted, I'm hearing the latest versions. --And, well, I wasn't surprised to see others commenting on the use of reverb. I think you've tamed it a bit since your initial postings?--but I have to say there's still far too much reverb, and it's distracting your listeners, well, at least this listener, from focusing on your work itself as much as we would like to.

I read your justification, your plan, to re-create the sound of a concert in a concert hall. That's often what people try to do, but it so often ends up that there's a ringing, echoey hollowness in the results - and it's not so much the sound of a real concert hall as the sound of reverb plug-ins being turned up too high.

The piano suffers the most. The strings often sound acceptable in the recordings, but the piano is virtually drowning in reverberant sound, making many of the passages an indistinct blur of noise.

Here's what I'd like you to do, as an experiment. Open up your project files again, and turn the reverb either way down, or off. Listen - it won't be as natural as you want. Then gently, and I mean Very gently, add more reverb until you start to notice that it's engaged. Stop!--and bring it back down again a bit.

The sound you have in the recordings isn't of a concert hall as it sounds in performance - it's the sound of a very Huge concert hall which is completely empty. That kind of echoing sound is only heard in an empty building - or when we're hearing sound coming from a building next door.

I won't go on--I've more than made it clear how I feel about this. It really is a pet peeve of mine, people harming the effect of their compositions with an over-use of reverb. I really urge you to not emulate what you think the sound of a live concert is, but to emulate recordings where everything is clear - like in some sound tracks which others have pointed out.

You've done massive work you should be proud of. Run the experiment, try as hard as you can to be objective when you listen, --and I think you may come to hear how you need to let go of what I think is a misguided insistence on sounding like a live concert--because the effect you've achieved isn't really that at all.

Thank you for sharing your music - I hope to hear it more clearly in future posts.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hello Antony,

This is a well crafted and enjoyable inner movement for a piano concerto. I'm just catching up with your other postings from which I can see some good advice has been imparted and heeded regarding the rendering from samples. Serious compositions, such as this, push the boundaries as far as samples are concerned. It's partly because the writing gives the impression we're hearing the real thing - and that's a lot for samples to live up to, especially the string section! Overall, I think you've done a good job of this mock up - enough to convince me this is good material for a live performance.

Excellent and most enjoyable work.

Regards,

Graham
    Hello Graham,
    Thank you very much indeed for your most kind comments, it was very encouraging to read your words to me, especially when you said that this movement would be ' good material for a a live performance '. I have offered the whole piano concerto to our excellent local orchestra, but without success ! Have you any possible contacts ?

I found your your comments about 'samples' most interesting. I am still learning, day by day and am always trying to improve the clarity of sound. I use, exclusively, GPO4 upgrade with Finale 2011b.

Thank you once again, best regards, Antony

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Antony - I've only this week started visiting The Listening Room after quite a long spell. I'm trying to work my way down the list of things to listen to, but of course I'll never catch up!

But I've come to your post, and see that the first movement was previously posted - So I looked that up, had a listen, read the responses, now I'm here on your newer thread, feeling a bit more caught up, at least with your Huge work presented here.

I admire what you've done so much. It's so complex, with many moods, and many passages are so captivating. This 2nd movement has such an interesting blend of peacefulness with unrest definitely underlying it all.

I'm very glad to have caught up with this -I just now had a great time following the explosion of musical ideas packed into this large work.

And I'm also wanting to weigh in on the recordings themselves. I see from the other thread that you made numerous re-dos, following the good, helpful feedback you got from others.

So I'm understanding that on the links you now have posted, I'm hearing the latest versions. --And, well, I wasn't surprised to see others commenting on the use of reverb. I think you've tamed it a bit since your initial postings?--but I have to say there's still far too much reverb, and it's distracting your listeners, well, at least this listener, from focusing on your work itself as much as we would like to.

I read your justification, your plan, to re-create the sound of a concert in a concert hall. That's often what people try to do, but it so often ends up that there's a ringing, echoey hollowness in the results - and it's not so much the sound of a real concert hall as the sound of reverb plug-ins being turned up too high.

The piano suffers the most. The strings often sound acceptable in the recordings, but the piano is virtually drowning in reverberant sound, making many of the passages an indistinct blur of noise.

Here's what I'd like you to do, as an experiment. Open up your project files again, and turn the reverb either way down, or off. Listen - it won't be as natural as you want. Then gently, and I mean Very gently, add more reverb until you start to notice that it's engaged. Stop!--and bring it back down again a bit.

The sound you have in the recordings isn't of a concert hall as it sounds in performance - it's the sound of a very Huge concert hall which is completely empty. That kind of echoing sound is only heard in an empty building - or when we're hearing sound coming from a building next door.

I won't go on--I've more than made it clear how I feel about this. It really is a pet peeve of mine, people harming the effect of their compositions with an over-use of reverb. I really urge you to not emulate what you think the sound of a live concert is, but to emulate recordings where everything is clear - like in some sound tracks which others have pointed out.

You've done massive work you should be proud of. Run the experiment, try as hard as you can to be objective when you listen, --and I think you may come to hear how you need to let go of what I think is a misguided insistence on sounding like a live concert--because the effect you've achieved isn't really that at all.

Thank you for sharing your music - I hope to hear it more clearly in future posts.

Randy
    Hello Randy,
    thank you immensely for your most thorough discussion on my second movement. The whole thing is a real 'tour de force' and is much appreciated by me. The 'Listening Room' has been surely the poorer for your absence !

Firstly, I am so pleased that you have enjoyed this movement and your words are very much appreciated !

I have carefully read your letter several times and have subsequently gone into my piano concerto 2 files and have made edits.

I have just 'uploaded' new versions and hope, if you can spare the time, that you will find a considerably less obtrusive reverb, especially but not exclusively, in the piano part.

I work exclusively with GPO4 upgrade and Finale 2011b.

GPO uses the ARIA player, so I must use their controls for ambience reverb.

I completely agree that clarity is the overriding aim and I trust you will find that my recent efforts have started to address the issue.

I should appreciate any further comments you might have on this matter, thank you once again for your efforts to 'tame' my reverb.

Very best wishes, Antony

Go Back to forum