• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Cinebrass is finally out

Share/Bookmark

Cinebrass is finally out

Sounds fantastic for the money IMO. http://cinesamples.com/products/cinebrass/

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Cinebrass is finally out

From the demos, although the sound is good, it sounds rather out of tune. I also don't really understand the wisdom of releasing a solo horn that can only play legato and even that only at one dynamic. I suspect that this is an unfinished product being released to free up some capital in order to finish it properly.

I have Voxos, and the tuning of some patches are dreadful (up to a quarter of a tone out of tune), some of the mike positions are unusable because of being too noisy, some of the performances (particularly the tenors) are very uneven and again this feels like an unfinished product. In retrospect it was not really worth what I paid for it, and as it still hasn't been fixed, in spite of promises, over 8 months later, I have no great hopes for CineBrass to be fixed either.

D

And now there's also another option to consider when thinking about a new horn library and that is, of course, Hollywood Brass from EastWest. Personally that will be my choice. I've purchased a number of Cinesamples libraries, and while one can often obtain some good results with them, no, they are not perfect, they do have some flaws, and it seems that these flaws are seldom corrected after the release of the product. Instead it's onward to the next new product. Some flaws are due to lack of attention to detail and others are never going to be addressed (my bet) due to the cost of reassembling a choir or setting up another orchestral recording session. Having said all that though, IMHO the Cinesamples libraries are not without merit and are still worth considering, depending on what you are producing. I'd just like to see a bit more care taken during the production process, and this is one area where EW excels when products from the two companies are compared. Price is also a consideration.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I don't see how anyone could "choose" EW Hollywood brass without hearing some demos. It might sound dreadful. it might be out of tune (like some of the patches in HS). It also has to be released in the near future, and making announced release dates are not, shall we say, EastWest's forte. ;>)

D

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    I've purchased a number of Cinesamples libraries, and while one can often obtain some good results with them, no, they are not perfect, they do have some flaws, and it seems that these flaws are seldom corrected after the release of the product. Instead it's onward to the next new product.
    Wow, that sounds exactly what a whole lot of people think about East West's products. No product is perfect, but it's harder to complain IMO when the products are priced less expensive like most of Cinesamples products are. There are people who have spent thousands of dollars on PLAY libraries who after all these years still have major problems with PLAY itself. It took 2 years and several PC's later to get PLAY to finally run stable for me. Now that PLAY is finally running good for me, I sure do love my EW Pianos.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

My opinions are stated above and below; yours may vary of course. Overall, I suggest that the EW libraries, while more expensive, have consistently proven to be the better choice, and their approach, the articulations they are providing, and the quality of their past releases are what I consider. I do not base my own opinions solely on demos, which can be very misleading; I partially base them on my experience with the products, both past and present. And I do have both Cinesamples and EW libraries to compare, and I use products from both companies. No, no library is ever perfect, and if one picks and digs long enough, one can find issues. On the other hand, I believe the minor issues in the EW software pale in comparison to those in some other sample libraries.

I am also completely aware that a few people have had problems with Play on their systems and have had minor or major complaints. It would be silly to suggest otherwise, and it is indeed unfortunate. Personally, I don't recall seeing any music software about which someone didn't complain. Sometimes these issues can also be solved, and there are often reasons why one person has problems and the other doesn't. Let's not forget that. Overall though, I suggest that many professional and amateur musicians have had great success with Play libraries on their systems and have the music to prove it. But certainly some folks have had issues with various products, and it will continue to be that way in the future. In summary, as I stated, these are my opinions. Feel free to form your own for your own reasons.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I want my samples to have some flaws, because often my ear needs a very small amount of imperfection to be fooled into thinking something is authentic... That's why using VSL samples alone will often result in an extremely clinical sound. I should say that my preference for flaws is a problem I often have with clients, composers and filmmakers alike, who are used to flawless mockups. So when the music has some kind of imperfection, I have to re-fix it... Even though I put the mistake there on purpose! Talk about a waste of time and effort, ha!

Anyway, some libraries do take this "imperfect" idea a little bit too far. Though overall I think it's a fantastic library, Andrew's LA Scoring Strings can be horrendously out of tune from time to time (waaay to much!).

I was watching Conan the Barbarian the other day, mostly just listening to the music. Wow, I really do love that score - and if you have access to that movie or the soundtrack, give it a listen. Holy crap, I couldn't believe the flubs in that recording. French horn players hitting blatant wrong notes, trumpet players fudging a high note. It's funny how things have changed since the olden days.

-Alex

If samples have flaws, you get the same flaws every time you hit that particular note. Not a professional way to work, IMO.

My bottom line is "if I was conducting this on a session, would I ask for a re-take?". If the answer is yes, the sample is useless to me.

Regarding VSL (or any sample developer for that matter) being clinical, this is entirely due to the performance. If you mouse everything in or quantise, don't use pitch fluctuation or continuous controllers, then it will sound clinical. If you are a good musician, you know that sample performances have to be performed, even if you don't have the chops to play it in real time.

Of course if you are writing trailer music then none of this matters, because as long as your trailer is louder than the previous one, it's OK. ;>)

D

Hey Daryl,

I hear ya, and your point is well taken. But I use just about as many controllers as my brain can manage - pitch, dynamics crossfade, CC 7, crossfade between solo/group and between chamber/full/huge to keep an ever changing sound. Over the years I've developed a pretty efficient system to push VSL to its limits, and the result for me is pretty clear - without some kind of extra element (Sonic Implants, LASS, or whatever), the orchestra just doesn't come to life. Maybe you're doing something I don't know about!

-A

but hey, I didn't mean to digress the point of this thread. CINEBRASS! I am very excited to hear reactions from those who have already purchased it!

-Alex

Go Back to forum