• Register
  • Help

Topic: How can I make Gigapiano darker sounding?

Share/Bookmark

How can I make Gigapiano darker sounding?

I read some posts on filtering Gigapiano and was wondering if this would make the tone of the sample a tad bit darker? I find Gigapiano to be a bit on the bright side.
    Could someone step me through how to do this on the Gigaeditor? Everytime I load it in (which takes about 10 years!), I can\'t seem to be able to add the low pass filtering. I find the sample of Gigapiano, save it as \"Dark piano\" first, and then load it into the GigaEditor where I get the piano sound, but I don\'t know how to add the lowpass option to the sample. How do you do this? I take it I have to select all regions and do this...but then what?
    Thanks

Re: How can I make Gigapiano darker sounding?

Hello Damon,
    -first open the Gigapiano in the Editor
    - a)if you are using Editor 1 make a right click on the instrument (instrument bank...) and choose copy and than paste.
    b)if you are using Editor 2 click down on the instrument and draw until a plus comes up.
    - Rename your copied instrument and start to change it.
    - First select all regions and all velocity splits (!).
    - Choose on the case properties the filter section.
    - Select as type ->lowpass.
    - Select as Controller ->modwheel (For instance)
    - Select as Vel Curve ->linear.
    - Select as cutoff frequence 127.
    - Select as vel scale 20.
    - Select as resonance 0.
    - Select as dynamic unchecked.
    - Select as Vel Dynamic Range low.
    - Select as Kyeboard tracking unchecked.
    - Select apply filter.
    - Save the gig
    Now you have an instrument with a low pass on the modwheel.

Good Luck

Georg

Great! thanks for your help Georg.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georg:
    Hello Damon,
    -first open the Gigapiano in the Editor
    - a)if you are using Editor 1 make a right click on the instrument (instrument bank...) and choose copy and than paste.
    b)if you are using Editor 2 click down on the instrument and draw until a plus comes up.
    - Rename your copied instrument and start to change it.
    - First select all regions and all velocity splits (!).
    - Choose on the case properties the filter section.
    - Select as type ->lowpass.
    - Select as Controller ->modwheel (For instance)
    - Select as Vel Curve ->linear.
    - Select as cutoff frequence 127.
    - Select as vel scale 20.
    - Select as resonance 0.
    - Select as Vel Dynamic Range low.
    - Select as Kyeboard tracking unchecked.
    - Select apply filter.
    - Save the gig
    Now you have an instrument with a low pass on the modwheel.

Good Luck

Georg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sorry to but in fellas......but is it possible to edit the entire gigapiano so that the decay is shorter? like when u hit a real piano real hard and real quick. staccato-ish.

thanks poolio

Poolio,
    It\'s been a LOOONG time since I looked at the gigapiano, but I bet what you\'re objecting to is the release samples, which is a sample that is triggered when the key comes up, and in the case of gigapiano makes it feel like a very undamped release to me.

I\'m not looking at the editor, but I think you have 2 options. 1) The release sample is on a dimension, you just delete that dimension. I think sometimes when you delete a dimension it gives you an option of which cases to keep, but it seems like it might not ask with release samples since thats sort of a special dimension. If it does ask you keep the key down cases...

The second way is I think you have the option to edit the envelope for the release samples, if I recall this is just a simple attack-release (AR) envelope, you could just shorten the release up.

If you\'re playing the gigapiano-lite, it doesn\'t use the release samples. If you find the release mushy on that one, you could just speed up the release of the amplitude envelope, that\'s env-1.

If you do this, make sure you understand the multi-dimensional nature of the editor, you will want to tighten up the releases of all notes x all dimensions. I think I don\'t program these quite flat across the keyboard, since treble notes have less mass and should damp a bit quicker.

To my ear, release samples aren\'t really necessary, I think it\'s realisic enough to just quickly taper off the main sustaining sample. Others will disagree with this, but I\'ve never heard an implementation of release samples I liked except on things like a harpsicord.

Hope this is clear enough but I won\'t pretend the editor is simple. Once you understand it, it\'s straighforward anyway.

Go Back to forum