• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX - Learn MIDI To Part Play Buttons

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX - Learn MIDI To Part Play Buttons

Hi.

I have Stylus RMX and use it with Pro Tools 8.0.5.

I love RMX, but I want to use it more "flexibly", if possible.

I would like to be able to learn midi to EACH of the Part play buttons.

I can learn to the main Play button and Stop button, but I cannot seem to get the individual Part play buttons to learn. I want to load any number of Parts with grooves, but I want to audition them while my track is playing in Pro Tools. It would be nice to just be able to press a key on the keyboard, or button, or something, to start/stop individual Parts to hear how they layer against each other before writing them to tracks. To me it's easier than using a mouse.

I have watched the tutorials on the CD, and at the Spectrasonics site, but they did not help.

Is it possible to learn just the play buttons for the individual Parts?

Thanks!

Re: Stylus RMX - Learn MIDI To Part Play Buttons

Sure...just MIDI Learn each part's play button....pretty simple. :-)

Hi.

Yes, indeed it does seem simple; however, I have tried that and am only able to get one of the part play buttons to learn...

I know the process/sequence of how to learn the midi, but it doesn't seem to be sticking.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, which is why I'm here.

Here's what I have and what I'd like to do:
    - Oxygen 49 controller
    - I would like to learn midi for Part 1 play button to C3 on the controller
    - Then I would like to learn midi for Part 2 play button to D3
    - And so on up to 8

Is that possible?
    If so, how?

Use MIDI CC's instead of Notes.

Stylus RMX doesn't currently include MIDI Note learning

Thank you for helping me out, here.

I have Pro Tools 8.0.5.

I'm not sure how to use the Midi CC.

Are there some tutorials somewhere showing me how to send CC messages to RMX?

if your midi controller cannot generate any CCs your only other chance would be to use some sort of transformer function to turn midinotes into CCs. Logic can do that, Cubase i think can too but i am not sure about Protools.

I remember seeing a Spectrasonics demo where they used the 8 sliders of a Korg Microkontrol to generate the CCs. Slider down was stop and slider all the way up was play.

Hi, Hans.

Thank you.

So...
    1. How do I know what CC's are assigned to each of the individual Part play buttons?

2. If each Part has its own "midi mode", that would almost seem to indicate they ALL use the same CC code for their respective Parts, and it would play, depending on which Part is selected.

So, to rephrase... if each Part (1 - 8) has its own midi mode, it would seem the individual play buttons would be the same CC code (ie 1). So, if I send a CC code from the controller of "1", then it would play whichever Part I have selected, but would not let me layer them by brining them in one-at-a-time.

Is it possible to make each Part play button have a distinct CC code to control?
    (ie Parts 1 - 8 play buttons would have CC codes of 1 - 8, respectively)... or whatever their CC codes are.

Or... does it already work that way, and I don't know how to do it? LOL

Thanks,
    Shane

Go Back to forum