• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lament for Strings and Harp

Share/Bookmark

Lament for Strings and Harp

Hey guys. This is my first post as I am new to world of Garritan. I noticed that there has been much talk recently on the forum about strings and their limitations and abilities in GPO4. I recently just finished a piece for strings and harp and would love to hear any feedback on both the composition itself and my use of the tools available to yield a (hopefully) convincing and satisfying string sound. The piece itself is simple in nature however I was very satisfied with the end result. The file is a rendered version from finale 2011 and was mixed using the sony acid music studio 8. Thanks for looking.

P.S. The website is BRAND new so I apologize for the lack of content other than the above mentioned piece. more to come soon! And if for some reason this link does not take you directly to the correct place please let me know!

Lament for Strings and Harp by Aaron O'Neal
    http://aarononeal1984.com/Portfolio.php

Thank you.

Aaron
    Last edited by aconeal; 05-10-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Aaron C. O'Neal

www.aarononeal1984.com

Re: Lament for Strings and Harp

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Forum!

First off, I like the mood of your work as I listen... as far as your strings sound - they are wonderful! I would have to say one of the best renderings in recent days using GPO... As the strings went higher in register they got just a bit "synthy" but not too bad. Nice panning too.. that is also important in recreating realism.

Beautiful music - hope to hear more soon from you.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hello Aaron,

I second the view that this is a nice rendering and nice piece. The only thing I could imagine making an improvement is a bit of EQ on the strings to smooth out some of the areas. Also, a bit more legato between some of the string parts would also smooth it, but it pretty good right now.

Just an FYI, the website really only works on a Windows/Internet Explorer browser because it references a Microsoft OLE activeX control for some reason.

Thanks for posting.

I like the music very much. Regarding the rendering only the violin attacks are not realistic. I usually play them with an EWI to make it more convincing.

Musically brilliant. I love the whole piece. I'm working on a strings and oboe piece myself now, and I'd hope to match that quality you got there.

The rendering is excellent, but as mentioned gets a little synth like on the very high register. But I think that is a difficult thing to avoid with GPO samples, or if it can be avoided at all.

Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Just an FYI, the website really only works on a Windows/Internet Explorer browser because it references a Microsoft OLE activeX control for some reason.
    aha!
    that's why I can't access the recording.
    oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    aha!
    that's why I can't access the recording.
    oh well.
    Same here.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    sorry, that doesn't work for me either.
    it opens my MP3 playback program, but nothing happens.

I liked a lot the line of the violas when violins restates the theme after the exposition from the cellos.
    Liked less the descending bass line. It sounds dull to me: the theme calls for something more here.

As a whole it reminds me some of Dario Marianelli (I like it!).

And yes, sometimes strings sounds a bit "synthy", but who cares if you're only sketching down your score?

Hope to hear more from you soon.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast