• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Maximum Strength Steel String Acoustic Guitar

Share/Bookmark

Maximum Strength Steel String Acoustic Guitar

Hello all,

I\'ve posted below a features list for the Maximum Strength Acoustic in case it may be helpful to anyone interested in twanging on a sampled acoustic steel string guitar(there are some extra details here that aren\'t in the description on the website). This library just recently began shipping from Nemesys, and there are solo and ensemble setting MP3 demos of it on the Nemesys website.
    http://www.nemesysmusic.com/sounds/mp3.html#mr_GuitarSolo

OK, here are the details:

Massive multisampling - specifically for the Giga platform, of a very present sounding Martin 000-16 steel string acoustic guitar.

Recorded in Stereo, with no EQ used or needed - the naturally bright tone can cut through mixes without any extra treatment.

All samples decay naturally to silence - NO looping.

Single notes sampled chromatically over a 5 octave range for each of the following 6 dimensions, all of which are available interactively in many of the instruments, most sampled at multiple velocities:

- Open strings

- Standard fretted

- Palm muted

- Hammers/Pulls

- Slide ups

-Snaps/plucks

Chord strums, major and minor, up and down, chromatically sampled in stereo at low and high velocities.

Single note \"damps\" - This is an additional dimension included in Live Play W/Damps and other instruments. The sampled damp (the sound of the vibrating string being stopped) is triggered upon the release of a note, and can make a significant difference in the feeling of naturalness and realism, especially when staccato notes are played.

License free MIDI phrase library - recorded and tailored specifically for this guitar. Sequences were captured from real guitar performances and cover a range of styles - rock, pop, alternative, folk, blues, country, etc. These phrases can be used as song starters, or for picking or strumming patterns to complement your arrangements and compositions. The web demos feature excerpts from these phrases.

Several types of instrument mappings to choose from; such as Live Play (7 velocities), which is good for just jumping right in and playing intuitively, and MAX KEYSW, which utilizes key dimension switches (these can make the task of altering or editing the included MIDI files, or your own sequences, much easier).

Rakes, clicks, and squeaks also sampled for an extra touch of realism.

Well that\'s it, thankya,

Matt Ragan

Re: Maximum Strength Steel String Acoustic Guitar

I enjoyed your demos. Why would I want this over the supposed standard -- Quantum Leap Quitars?

Clueless

Matt, this is another library where the demos really made me sit back and say, \"Wow!\"

I haven\'t heard a better guitar sample demo, and this lib is high on my list.

cheers,
    -sam

Thank you Sam, of course I LOVE getting feedback like that!

I\'m really hoping that people will find the MIDI files that you heard excerpted on the demos to be useful in the same way that, for instance, the Twiddly Bits John Rabbit Bundrick piano MIDI files have been for me.

On occasion I\'ve found those piano phrases to be worth their weight in gold when I needed to add real authentic piano parts in that style to a track - especially since the feel, phrasing and dynamics can be retained, while the notes, tempo, key, etc. can be easily changed.

Of course, it\'s easier to do that convincingly with a sampled piano than it is with a sampled guitar. If the MSAG demos sounded fairly convincing to you, that\'s because those MIDI phrases tend to use a lot of key dimension switching to exploit the variety of sampled articulations and techniques built into the library.

Twang on, bro,

-Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sam:
    Matt, this is another library where the demos really made me sit back and say, \"Wow!\"

I haven\'t heard a better guitar sample demo, and this lib is high on my list.

cheers,
    -sam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,
    The DEMO sounds as well as real-dynamic recorded like real-guitar-recorded. Good quality! You must master the samples (waves) at 24B/48khz, right?
    Well, I can\'t wait! must have it!
    BTW, how about Dist/jazz-Guitar with multiple Amp-emulator-size (types/watts) and other guitar samples? It would be nice to have them all?
    Regards,
    Long

Hi LHong,

Thankyou for that - I did record the samples at 24bit/44.1khz.

It also helped to be recording a Martin 00-16 with Neumann and AKG condensers. Those 000-16s are popular with pro session players for the way their beautiful, bright tone sits so well in a mix. I spent countless hours perfecting the stereo mic placement, and I still haven\'t had the heart to break the setup down, because I don\'t know if I\'ll ever quite achieve that tone again .

If I have the time, I will produce an electric guitar library with a variety of pickup configs and amp tones - that\'s something that I\'m also real into.

-Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LHong:
    Matt,
    The DEMO sounds as well as real-dynamic recorded like real-guitar-recorded. Good quality! You must master the samples (waves) at 24B/48khz, right?
    Well, I can\'t wait! must have it!
    BTW, how about Dist/jazz-Guitar with multiple Amp-emulator-size (types/watts) and other guitar samples? It would be nice to have them all?
    Regards,
    Long

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for pointing me to the demos Matt.

They\'re just outstanding.

The midi \'twiddly bits\' style files is also a great (and very practical) idea.

Hi Matt,
    Great sounding demo\'s!
    A few questions though, are the demo\'s played with a keyboard? How well do they respond when played from a keyboard?
    Are any of the guitars \"high strung\"?

Thanks.

DanS

Hey Dan,

The MAXKEYSW instrument mapping was used for those demos, and they were played with a MIDI\'d guitar, with key switches added after the fact to replicate the articulations of the original performances. This was done for a real fine level of control and detail.

There are also velocity switching instrument mappings included with the library for real time playing from the keyboard, and of course I personally think they\'re very responsive - I hope others will too.

No Nashville high strung sampled strums were included. My feeling is that this Max Strength Acoustic and the Corrigan Nashville high strung guitar pretty much cover different territory, and are more complimentary than competitive with each other.

-Matt

Thanks Matt.

Go Back to forum