• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Pro 9, midi CC programming, and automation: how do you do it?

Share/Bookmark

Logic Pro 9, midi CC programming, and automation: how do you do it?

Hi,

I'm starting to use more VI and sample libraries while composing, and discovering that, without using dynamic CC control to make a sound "speak", things sound pretty flat and lifeless.

When I attempt to create and edit CC info in Logic Pro, I'm finding that it is a bit of a pain: because I am unable to use Logic's normal automation, I have to redo or edit the CC info if it's not perfect, I can't just set the fader to "touch" mode and bump up or down a small section without going through a whole song and dance.

My question: how do you deal with this issue? Reediting things in the hyperedit page, converting CC to something else that can be automated using track automation, something else?

Thanks,

George
    www.utopiaparkwaymusic.com

Re: Logic Pro 9, midi CC programming, and automation: how do you do it?

Not to sure what you are having issues with (could be the grammar- I take it English is not your native tongue). Maybe give some precise examples of the issue you are having. I haven't needed to re-program Logic's CC mapping as I have an X-station (so I would just map it to the proper preset CC controls). Are you able to get what you want and then just save that as a template to use for future songs (this is what I think is your issue- you keep having to re-assign CC controls for every song).

Hi, Actually, I'm english...

Here is the problem that I hope I can make clearer.

When you use automation in Logic using a 3d party fader tool (be it a Mackie control, A Presonus faderport) you can automate a track on one pass, then put your track in touch mode or link mode, and easily rewrite new automation onto the same track.

Now, if you use a CC controller (midi data) you can not do this, hence the issue I'm talking about. One cannot simply grab a midi controller and write new data over old, like you can when using a fader (Logic's manual calls it control surface automation, Pg 7 of the Control Surfaces Manual).

I hope that is a clearer description.

G
    www.utopiaparkwaymusic.com

There's two ways I can see you doing this easily:
    1: Record the notes without MIDI CC on the first pass, then on the second pass, record the MIDI CC. In order to do that, you will need to set the recording settings to "Merge only in Cycle Record," or "Merge with selected regions."

1a: A variant of the above is to Record only the notes on the first pass, create a new track with "New with next MIDI channel" (you can edit the channel to match the first track) and record the MIDI CC info on the new track.

2: Record your notes with MIDI CC and edit afterward in the Piano roll window.

#2 is the way I do it.

There are probably other ways to do this, but the above two are the ones that came to mind quickly.

Rob

Rob

Go Back to forum