• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Midi/Sonar X1 and Aria question

Share/Bookmark

Basic Midi/Sonar X1 and Aria question

Folks, I have been so busy the last couple of years, that I have let my music go, and am now trying to get back into things. Recently I purchased the upgrade to GPO (I had the original GPO) and upgraded my Sonar to X1, and have a simple question.
    In Sonar X1, I have two MIDI tracks. I want one to play through the Aria Player, and have it play the Steinway Classic sound. The second track I would like to be played is a Flute sound. I load them both in Aria, the piano in the first slot, and the flute in the second slot. When I play them on my keyboard, in Sonar, they both play at the same time. I have even tried having two instances of Aria, one with just the piano, and the second instance, just the flute. What am I doing wrong? I would like to record one track at a time, so I don't think I need to have my Midi controller (an antique Roland A-80) send out separate channels, because to be quite honest, I don't remember how to configure the controller to do that. And since I only wish to record one track at a time, I thought I could get away with setting the MIDI input in Sonar to Omni.
    I'm sure there is an easy answer for this, but I don't know what it is. Any help/advice you might have is GREATLY appreciated, thanks so very much in advance!

Re: Basic Midi/Sonar X1 and Aria question

Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon View Post
    Folks, I have been so busy the last couple of years, that I have let my music go, and am now trying to get back into things. Recently I purchased the upgrade to GPO (I had the original GPO) and upgraded my Sonar to X1, and have a simple question.
    In Sonar X1, I have two MIDI tracks. I want one to play through the Aria Player, and have it play the Steinway Classic sound. The second track I would like to be played is a Flute sound. I load them both in Aria, the piano in the first slot, and the flute in the second slot. When I play them on my keyboard, in Sonar, they both play at the same time. I have even tried having two instances of Aria, one with just the piano, and the second instance, just the flute. What am I doing wrong? I would like to record one track at a time, so I don't think I need to have my Midi controller (an antique Roland A-80) send out separate channels, because to be quite honest, I don't remember how to configure the controller to do that. And since I only wish to record one track at a time, I thought I could get away with setting the MIDI input in Sonar to Omni.
    I'm sure there is an easy answer for this, but I don't know what it is. Any help/advice you might have is GREATLY appreciated, thanks so very much in advance!
    I have Sonar 8.5, although I believe the following behavior is the same in X1. What you need to do is set "track focus" by clicking on a MIDI track in the Track View window. You'll see the track highlighted, and a beige bar running across the top of the window. Then when you play your keyboard, you should only hear the selected instrument.

Hope that helps!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Thanks so very much for your advice., but I'm afraid that I have already tried that. For example, when I put the focus on the flute track, I hear both the flute and the piano play, when I touch keys on my keyboard. I really just wish to record one track at a time. Thanks again for your suggestion!

Thanks so very much for your advice., but I'm afraid that I have already tried that. For example, when I put the focus on the flute track, I hear both the flute and the piano play, when I touch keys on my keyboard. I really just wish to record one track at a time. Thanks again for your suggestion!
    Okay, the only other problem I can think of is that you may have both intruments sending over the same stereo output channel. To fix that, you'll need to make sure and use the ARIA Player Multi VST plug-in with X1, which allows you to assign a separate output channel to each instrument slot. What you'll need to do is open the ARIA Multi player in the Synth Rack. You'll see a little "1/2" on the right side of each slot. Click on that, and you'll see a list of stereo output pairs. Assign 1/2 to your first instrument, 3/4 to your second, and so on for any other instruments you have loaded. After you do this, track focus should work for playing only the instrument you want with your keyboard. However, if things still aren't working, the problem is obviously somewhere else, and it may even with with X1 itself. (Apparently it was released with a lot of problems, and to the point that quite a few users reported they were going back to 8.5 until those problems were fixed. I don't know where Cakewalk is at on the fixing process, but if you haven't already done so, you should definitely go to their website and download the latest update.)

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Thanks again, Steve, for your assistance. I have applied both patch a and patch b to Sonar X1. If I had known that it had issues, I would never have purchased it as an upgrade from Sonar Producer 7, but alas, I have already done so. I can tell you what I've done. I took your suggestion, and opened up an X64 Aria VST multi player session, and chose ensemble, then flute and piano. For some reason the x86 (32 bit) version of this only allows me to choose channels 1/2, but the 64 bit version allows me to choose many stereo outputs. So, in Aria, I have the flute on position one, 1/2 and Omni. I have the Steinway on position 2, 3/4 and Omni. In Sonar X1, Set up like this, I can play the keyboard in Aria, and when I have position one selected, I can play the flute on the keyboard, and when I have position 2 selected I can play the piano on the Aria keyboard. So far, so good. Now in Sonar I have the flute on track 2 in the IO, I have the EMU 404 sound card as MIDI port as input, Omni, and as output, the 2-Aria Player-VST_X64 1, then in the channel IO, I have listed there the Aria player 1:Aria Player-Multi VST_X64, Now for the Piano, I have it in the second position in Aria, and in Sonar I have the EMU 404 sound card MIDI port as input, Omni, and for Output I have 2-Aria Player-VST_X64 1 and for Channel I have 2:Aria Player-Multi VST_X64. Does this help to diagnose my issue? would it help if I were to send you my cakewalk file? I know that Garritan has a very old pdf tutorial, but it refers to much older versions of Sonar and GPO, not the Aria and Sonar X1 interface.Thanks once more again for your help.

Thanks again, Steve, for your assistance. I have applied both patch a and patch b to Sonar X1. If I had known that it had issues, I would never have purchased it as an upgrade from Sonar Producer 7, but alas, I have already done so. I can tell you what I've done. I took your suggestion, and opened up an X64 Aria VST multi player session, and chose ensemble, then flute and piano. For some reason the x86 (32 bit) version of this only allows me to choose channels 1/2, but the 64 bit version allows me to choose many stereo outputs. So, in Aria, I have the flute on position one, 1/2 and Omni. I have the Steinway on position 2, 3/4 and Omni. In Sonar X1, Set up like this, I can play the keyboard in Aria, and when I have position one selected, I can play the flute on the keyboard, and when I have position 2 selected I can play the piano on the Aria keyboard. So far, so good. Now in Sonar I have the flute on track 2 in the IO, I have the EMU 404 sound card as MIDI port as input, Omni, and as output, the 2-Aria Player-VST_X64 1, then in the channel IO, I have listed there the Aria player 1:Aria Player-Multi VST_X64, Now for the Piano, I have it in the second position in Aria, and in Sonar I have the EMU 404 sound card MIDI port as input, Omni, and for Output I have 2-Aria Player-VST_X64 1 and for Channel I have 2:Aria Player-Multi VST_X64. Does this help to diagnose my issue? would it help if I were to send you my cakewalk file? I know that Garritan has a very old pdf tutorial, but it refers to much older versions of Sonar and GPO, not the Aria and Sonar X1 interface.Thanks once more again for your help.
    Unfortunately, I'm up to my eyeballs in a GPO4 rendering project at the moment, and not being an actual X1 user myself I'm sure limits my usefulness anyway. My suggestion would be to post your inquiry on the General Discussion forum. That one seems to get the most traffic, so I think you'd get some help there from other forum members who also use X1.

Since you already have the latest X1 patches, it sounds like maybe Cakewalk has addressed at least some of the issues which surfaced in the initial release. However, I can only guess about that, and you'll definitely get more out of hearing from other people who'd have a better handle on the current state of the situation.

Steve

Thanks, Steve, I will post it there, and best wishes with your project!

Go Back to forum