• Register
  • Help

Topic: Colour Six - Number Blue

Share/Bookmark

Colour Six - Number Blue

Here is a little piece I created with GPO4. I have used some of the AG section strings. I am fascinated by their lively bounce.

Colour Six - Number Blue

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Colour Six - Number Blue

it has some amusing moments, particularly that lighter blue section...

I do find, however, that the short ag. samples tend to sound a bit artificial when used a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    it has some amusing moments, particularly that lighter blue section...

I do find, however, that the short ag. samples tend to sound a bit artificial when used a lot.
    Thank you. It is probably because those stainless steel violins look blue in the blue light, when really, they are silvery and have a sharp-edged sound, almost like a steel sword striking hard rock. But, they will not rust!

Thank you for listening and commenting.

on a more serious note (no pun intended), I really liked the slower more sustained passages. love that harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    on a more serious note (no pun intended), I really liked the slower more sustained passages. love that harmony.
    Thank you for that too! When I was growing up, I had an LP of Rachmaninov's 2nd symphony and the front cover featured a picture of somewhere like the Urals or similar, where you are just looking out at a vast field of wheat, with a leaden gray sky coming about half way down the picture. I think some of that may have stuck with me, the image and music sort of became one.

It's cool experimenting with a particular sound that's found fascinating. It's the fun that can take place when using these "artificial" instrumental software libraries. Seriously, I hope you have fun!

I guess, when there's a fair amount of repetition, my ears seek some kind of modulation in tonal centers. I say this not as criticism but more as a coming to grips with my own figuring out with what I seek in a composition. Two-plus minutes is not really long in much of the world of orchestral music. So, if this was part of a larger composition then maybe changes in tonal center takes place in that larger piece. But there was a moment or two when my ears sought more of a change in tonal center(s) during the repetitive sections. (This is the second piece that I heard this morning where I found myself thinking along those lines.) I love the contrast found between the "aggressive" section and the slower more "sustained" section.

sd cisco - you're another composer that I enjoy. When listening to your music in the past, and now, I learn. Learning or re-learning, right now, is where I am with my own compositional skills. Thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

sd cisco, there’s always an element of surprise in your posts!

This time it starts with the playful name and continues throughout the piece.

There’s an interesting contrast between the aggressive strings and the legato strings
    and later the calming winds.

It seems that the aggressive part wins at the end… and maybe for this reason
    what I miss at the end is some crashing dissonant chord to finalize it…!

An interesting and intriguing hearing.

Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to your next surprise…

~ Yudit ~

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    It's cool experimenting with a particular sound that's found fascinating. It's the fun that can take place when using these "artificial" instrumental software libraries. Seriously, I hope you have fun!

I guess, when there's a fair amount of repetition, my ears seek some kind of modulation in tonal centers. I say this not as criticism but more as a coming to grips with my own figuring out with what I seek in a composition. Two-plus minutes is not really long in much of the world of orchestral music. So, if this was part of a larger composition then maybe changes in tonal center takes place in that larger piece. But there was a moment or two when my ears sought more of a change in tonal center(s) during the repetitive sections. (This is the second piece that I heard this morning where I found myself thinking along those lines.) I love the contrast found between the "aggressive" section and the slower more "sustained" section.

sd cisco - you're another composer that I enjoy. When listening to your music in the past, and now, I learn. Learning or re-learning, right now, is where I am with my own compositional skills. Thank you for sharing.
    Hi Ted;
    Thanks for listening and for your comments! I 100% agree on all counts! This poor piece was not nurtured or cared for long enough to really qualify as a serious effort in composition and subsequent orchestration. I wanted to experiment with the aggressive string sections, so I did. The music represents a very economical use of material and there were no modulations to speak of. The two things I found interesting were slow strings and harmony therein, momentarily, and then the experiment to see what would happen if I took the original chunk of thematic idea and overlaid it on another, so that one voice gets about halfway through the thematic bit, then another voice starts itself, kinda like row, row, row your boat. So, to me, it was a successful experiment, but not as a composition, due in part to lack of development.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    sd cisco, there’s always an element of surprise in your posts!

This time it starts with the playful name and continues throughout the piece.

There’s an interesting contrast between the aggressive strings and the legato strings
    and later the calming winds.

It seems that the aggressive part wins at the end… and maybe for this reason
    what I miss at the end is some crashing dissonant chord to finalize it…!

An interesting and intriguing hearing.

Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to your next surprise…

~ Yudit ~
    Hi there Yudit!
    This curiously name sonic entity is most likely the shortest sonic bit I have posted ever on the Forum. It was a chance to experiment with the aggressive string sections and with the overlapping thematic idea, and what would it sound like if I started selectively copying and pasting parts, creating new little parts that could be repeated as accompaniment, while the large, intact and original bit was sometimes allowed to finish and sometimes, not. What I did was basically start it on Saturday and finished fiddling on Sunday!

As always, thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum