• Register
  • Help

Topic: MacBook Pro and GPO4 Owners

Share/Bookmark

MacBook Pro and GPO4 Owners

I am thinking of purchasing a new MacBook Pro computer for mobile use. I am interested
    in the 15" models: 2.0/2.2 GHz. If anyone owns either of these computers, I would like
    to know if they work well with GPO4, JABB, COMB2, WORLD, Garritan Authorized Steinway and Stradivari/Gofriller string libraries.

I am particularly interested in the hard drives used. They both come with 5400 rpm
    drives. Any problems with the speed of this (5400) drive or should one have a 7200?
    I have read that the 7200 drives are noisy and can overheat the processor. Also,
    does anyone have a Solid State Drive? If so, is it a miracle worker as advertised?

Finally, I am opting for max RAM (8 GB).

With the new quad-core intel core i7 processor, it seems like these MacBook Pros are
    the type of laptop computer to have when using Garritan Libraries.

I welcome all opinions and suggestions and thank you for your time.

Jack

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: MacBook Pro and GPO4 Owners

Hi Jack,

I have a 17inch MBP running all of the Garritan Libraries with ARIA. I would highly recommend the 7200 RPM drive for use with ARIA. As this will help you get the best performance from the disk streaming technology that the engine uses. With the ARIA 1.111 version you can also customize your allocated Disk Pre-Caching for loading Instruments as well as RAM Allocation on the Settings tab.

I haven't had any issues running a mac book pro with a 7200 RPM drive.

Cheers,
    Chad

Jack,

I'm also running a MBP, 2.66 i7, with 8 GBs.

The ram is expensive if buying from Apple, but dirt cheap from 3rd part vendors. I've got the 7200 HD, no problems with it at all.

In addition to my Garritan libraries, I'm also running several other libraries that are much more processor and ram intensive. Everything runs as smooth as silk. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi Jack,

I have a 17inch MBP running all of the Garritan Libraries with ARIA. I would highly recommend the 7200 RPM drive for use with ARIA. As this will help you get the best performance from the disk streaming technology that the engine uses. With the ARIA 1.111 version you can also customize your allocated Disk Pre-Caching for loading Instruments as well as RAM Allocation on the Settings tab.

I haven't had any issues running a mac book pro with a 7200 RPM drive.

Cheers,
    Chad
    Aha! I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I've heard reference to disk streaming in Aria but thought someone was speaking with reference to the old Kontakt player. I would say however that with 8GB of RAM there would be no need to stream from disk.

Now a little closer to the topic, I have an SSD now. I don't own a macbook or any mac for that matter, but recently upgraded and decided to buy an 80GB SSD for OS and applications. It is pretty wonderful I must say. Windows never booted so fast The downside is the size so you have to be careful what gets installed on it and research the way data gets deleted and how space gets freed up. I'm not sure if MacOS takes care of disk defragmentation on the fly, but with windows you can't use the typical defrag tools with an SSD.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I have an older MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) wth 4Gb and a 5400rpm disk, and I haven't got the slightest problem with GPO4. I did the overture to Parsifal with 37 tracks without a hitch. A newer mac should present almost no obstacle whatsoever.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I have an older MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) wth 4Gb and a 5400rpm disk, and I haven't got the slightest problem with GPO4. I did the overture to Parsifal with 37 tracks without a hitch. A newer mac should present almost no obstacle whatsoever.

I'm developing ARIA on a first generation Mac Book Pro (1.78Ghz) with 2GB ram.. so have no worry there

[EDIT] .. then again

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2768351
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    I'm developing ARIA on a first generation Mac Book Pro (1.78Ghz) with 2GB ram.. so have no worry there
    It's good to hear that developers don't use the latest and greatest, or at least not exclusively. One of my pet theories is that software has become bloated because a lot of devs have high performance hardware...
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    It's good to hear that developers don't use the latest and greatest, or at least not exclusively. One of my pet theories is that software has become bloated because a lot of devs have high performance hardware...
    That is _exactly_ my philosophy.
    My home Main PC is also 6 years old now, and eveything I code must run flawlessly on it, else i know somethings very off in my algorithms.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

David, et al:

Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate the input and, frankly,
    don't know what to do after reading what David's link said about the MBP 2.2 GHz 2011
    computer. WOW, that was tough reading about all of those "freeze-ups." Even though
    those MBP owners were overtaxing their new computers is really not a reason for all
    the trouble they had unless factors beyond their control entered into the equation.

I would just hope that a new 2011 MBP 2.2 GHz would not act that way running any
    or a combination of Garritan libraries. And, the other dilemma is what type of hard
    drive does one go with? There are three choices: 750GB, 5400rpm, 500GB, 7200rpm,
    or an SSD. Even the SSD owner in David's link had "freeze-ups" and there are no
    moving parts in that hard drive as I understand it.............hhhmmmmmm.

Thanks again my friends and especially to David who has really made all of our days
    with the Garritan libraries "happy ones." "Those (his) guys are good.".......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I've read that the freeze-up might be due to 3rd party "haxies", such as smc fan control, which tries to control fan speed, something that can mess up any computer. So don't worry about that. If your new laptop crashes under heavy loads, it should simply be repaired. Just be sure to tax it a bit right from the start...
    Theo

Go Back to forum