• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you add custom .sfz files in Garritan for Finale 2011?

Share/Bookmark

How do you add custom .sfz files in Garritan for Finale 2011?

I was referred to this site by a moderator at Finale music and hope I chose the correct forum.

I recorded some studio quality nylon guitar string (natural) harmonics and saved them as wav files. I also downloaded some fairly realistic guitar string harmonics, but their file extension is .SF2. After I convert the files to .sfz format, how can I make them appear in the list of Garritan instruments that is included in Finale v2011? Can I merely create a folder named, say, 'classical guitar', and then copy them to that folder? For example...

C:\Program Files\Garritan\Instruments for Finale\Programs\Classical Guitar

Re: How do you add custom .sfz files in Garritan for Finale 2011?

You might try posting here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ral-Discussion

This is the Garritan forum on Northern Sounds.

By the way, welcome.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Garritan’s Aria player is a closed system. You wont’ be able to add your sounds to it. Instead, you need a VSTi sample player that can handle SF2 or Sfz, or whatever format you end up using.

Something like this might do the trick:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Dim...E/default.aspx

The ".Aria" files that the Aria player uses is an enhanced version of the sfz file format I believe, so it does also let you load and play standard sfz files (or sf2 files converted to to sfz).

When you have an Aria instance open, left mouse click (on a PC) on either the Ensemble slot or one of the 16 instrument slots. Click import to get to the file open dialog, and make sure you have "Files of type: Any Type (*.*)" selected .. browse and open your sfz file, which you should then be able to use like any of the standard Garritan .Aria ensembles.

Quote Originally Posted by wcreed View Post
    Garritan’s Aria player is a closed system. You wont’ be able to add your sounds to it. Instead, you need a VSTi sample player that can handle SF2 or Sfz, or whatever format you end up using.

Something like this might do the trick:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Dim...E/default.aspx
    No, is not closed. You can load any SFZ file you want. The easiest way to do that is just drag´n drop the file you want over the ARIA gui. You can save ensembles with your own sfz, too, so you can recall them anytime trough the ensemble menu.
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks. I'll follow up on the input.

Go Back to forum