• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Challenges? Any?

Share/Bookmark

Challenges? Any?

Just wondering about any challenges either the Orchestration, or the Movie or just something new. Has there been any discussion either in PM or otherwise? It seems kind of like losing a close friend and not being told.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Challenges? Any?

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Just wondering about any challenges either the Orchestration, or the Movie or just something new. Has there been any discussion either in PM or otherwise? It seems kind of like losing a close friend and not being told.
    No PM discussion here. A new Movie Challenge would be good. I'd like to enter this one and not help run it.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi, Rich

Aaaah, our poor, languishing Challenges. Towards the end of last year, we had some discussion threads about what to do, how to do them etc - There was so little participation, I think we all just kind of let the ball drop. I know I was hoping for us to organize a calendar of Challenges, both the original Orchestration Challenge and the Movie Challenge, so that everyone would be aware of the deadlines, the rules etc - But that calendar never happened. I admit running out of steam on the idea when there was so little response.

Chip "Reberclark" said on this thread that he'd like to participate, but indicates he doesn't have time to organize a contest. That's true of me too. My schedule is so full now. If there was a long line of folks beating down the doors to compose music for one or both of these Challenges, I would probably work hard on somehow re-arranging things so I could add Challenge duties to my schedule - but oh man, it would be an uncomfortable squeeze for me even with the best of scenarios.

In other words - I certainly agree with your sentiments, Rich, that the Challenges used to be a fun part of our Forum here. Theoretically they could be that again.

Maybe there are folks here willing to put some time in on setting things up again. You'd be an excellent candidate for the task, Rich!--And there's of course Sean who started the Challenge - There's Peter who's a great new member of the Forum.

The first step would be for the last winners to be contacted. With some instruction, they could each bring to the table what's needed - theme for Orchestration, video clip for Movie -

And on a general note - it would be so great if ways could be figured out to get more people involved!

--So - Rich, I hear you!

Randy

I see you!

I would have thought with the moderators in this forum that someone would have been in charge of challenges and fun events. I only one a challenge by default (I was the only entry) so I do not feel qualified to run an event that wasn't even a challenge in the last two presentations. If the forum does not wish to continue and there is not more support than the few responses here, then maybe the challenges should take a break. I was just looking for some comments. So far only the long time faithful are responsive.

Thanks for commenting, Randy and reberclark.

Rich

Not sure this is a good time to be upbeat, but ... OK ... I think I'm very unlikely to enter any challenges that are purely composition based, but I guess I can spare time to run the administration of a calendar of challenges as my contribution to participating.

I presume this shouldn't be too onerous and only involves receiving and validating entries, uploading them somewhere easily accessible, creating a voting thread on the closing date (however that's done) and announcing winners.

How about just setting up/advertising a varied calender now of regular challenges that will run throughout the year at fixed times (regardless of whatever level of participation there is to start off with) ... maybe alternating quarterly Movie and Theme challenges starting straight away, and a longer or shorter running contrasting challenge that might suit others starting a little later?

I also think it's important to vary the challenges from time to time (I think there was a long list of ideas/suggestions on one thread if I can find it again) and try to cater for the varied interests of all Garritan users, so that they can usually do just do what they might do anyway, but submit it as a challenge entry.

Perhaps we could also start immediately a permanently running bi-annual (or quarterly?) "open" challenge for any piece (whether original or not) entered via the Listening Room with Gary himself choosing a winner every 6 months based on whatever criteria he sees fit at the time ... most original composition/orchestration, best realisation, best new entrant, most improved piece, best feedback received (or given?) etc etc, selecting from all pieces in the previous 3 or 6 months? Everyone would be free to improve their piece (perhaps based on feedback received) and effectively resubmit it at any time.

In that context, I quite like CJ's idea on another thread of using other social media such as Sound Cloud (or you tube) to promote the forum and use of Garritan products.

Randy ... perhaps you could find a suitable film clip for a new Movie challenge and I'll look into setting up a thread for it.

Rich ... how about we give you three months to think of an inspiring challenge Theme?

Reberclark/anyone ... any advice/guidelines on running a challenge?

Rich ... how about we give you three months to think of an inspiring challenge Theme?
    I'm thinking....

Rich

Do you see?

As usual, there are 165 viewers of this thread and only 3 in discussion. This leads me to believe that the interest in not really there for challenges. I point out the listening room as well. I see 2 and 3 people leaving comments and hundreds viewing. Participation seems to be a much harder thing for one to muster than just viewing and gleaning ideas. I know I am guilty of that myself.

Rich

It might be helpful to explain how challenges work. I know I have been here for a while, and I don't exactly understand how they work. So, it is hard for me to say in or out

Write a wee tune for tenor banjo (celtic style). If it's any good (), I'll record it . Full orchestration to go along with it of course.

Just think of the glory!

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Do you see?

As usual, there are 165 viewers of this thread and only 3 in discussion. This leads me to believe that the interest in not really there for challenges. I point out the listening room as well. I see 2 and 3 people leaving comments and hundreds viewing. Participation seems to be a much harder thing for one to muster than just viewing and gleaning ideas. I know I am guilty of that myself.
    OK...you got me, Rich. I'm one of those 165 viewers who didn't chime in. I'm all for a new challenge and promise to do one, if we do one, when we do one.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum